H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 10-29-2006, 01:37 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pics from Daytona...

Should I just send a CBR 600RR with the brush guard?
Old 10-29-2006, 04:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

ipeefreely is on a distinguished road

hahaha, yes please. 400 shipped? =P
Old 10-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Hummer Professional

Motohead is an unknown quantity at this point

come over to a motorcycle site I'm on, a good friend owns it and a lot of smart riders, not a squid forum. Tons of help over there. It's a site dedicated to motorcyclists in general, not a bike specific forum. http://www.wristtwisters.com
Old 10-30-2006, 02:10 AM
Hummer Professional

Goalkeeper has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thanks for the link Moto...I just signed up, same screenname.

-Matt
01 - Ducati 748 Bip, Yellow- Giddy Up!!
Old 11-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Hummer Veteran

Hey moto, i just signed up too at the forum! I Also have the same screen name. Was wondering but would you happen to know a good place to get a bike? (price is of the utmost importance! =P )
Old 11-02-2006, 05:46 AM
Hummer Professional

considering that I almost couldn't live any farther from you... I really couldn't help you there. Cruise around to some of the local shops... see what used bikes they have. Buying from a dealer they can at least give you some kind of gaurantee...
Old 11-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Hummer Veteran

lol, good point. Welllet me ask you, what kinda bike do you drive? and how much did you get it for?
Old 11-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Hummer Professional

I don't drive one. I ride one. I have an RC-51... $12k... have about another $3500 into it.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

First of all...... BUMP^
Old 11-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

Second.... I think i've rounded it down to two bikes that i'm pretty sure i will get. It's come down to the 2006 Honda cbr 600rr or the 2006 GSX 600R. The MSRP for both lays around 8900. I was wondering but if i were to go to a dealership, how much will i usually be able to talk down the price? The retail price according to KBB is only about 7k. Will i be able to talk them down to that or do most dealers stick with their MSRP? Secondly, of the two bikes, which bike would you guys go for? YOur advice will help, thanks!
Old 11-06-2006, 06:36 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

IMO, I don't think you should pick either for a first bike. There's a saying among bikers.... "It's not if you go down, it's WHEN you go down"... Everyone drops their bike, whether from going into a corner too hot or just sitting at a light and your bike falls over.

Point is, it's the rider, not the bike and if I were starting today and insisted on a 600, I'd pick up a 2001-2003 CBR F4i for instance. They are excellent bikes, can be had cheaply and are fast as hell.

When I used to race, I used a F4i and when my buddies and I would go to Deal's Gap or out in the country, none of them could keep up. Though they had faster bikes on top end, I was already down 2 gears coming out of the apex of a turn and by the time they caught up, another turn was coming.

Anyway, I think buying a new bike is not a good move for a beginner rider. I suggested the SAME thing to a friend of mine (who is responsible but has no experience) He just got out of the hospital from totalling his bike.

My .02 worth, good luck and be safe.

Make sure you take an MSF class or riding classes.

Mark
Old 11-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Hummer Veteran

Dang that sucks to hear about your friend, hope he's ok. HOw'd he go down though?
And Yeah i'm going to try to find out if theres a used one, if there is, of course i'll buy that, it'd be cheaper anyways. But what i really wanna do is buy from a dealer so i get warranty and better financing options. But how much can you usually knock off the MSRP price tag?
Old 11-07-2006, 01:22 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipeefreely
Dang that sucks to hear about your friend, hope he's ok. HOw'd he go down though?
And Yeah i'm going to try to find out if theres a used one, if there is, of course i'll buy that, it'd be cheaper anyways. But what i really wanna do is buy from a dealer so i get warranty and better financing options. But how much can you usually knock off the MSRP price tag?

My friend lowsided in a turn cause according to him "he hit some gravel"....

That's what everyone that is embarassed that lays a bike down says... it's never their fault.

I wouldn't worry too much about a warranty. I'll use Honda as an example. About the only thing that ever goes wrong on a Honda is the timing chain tensioner. It's nature of the beast... buying a later model (01+) Japanese sportbike is VERY DEPENDABLE. They all their quirks.

Every brand has their features.

Hondas tend to be the most ergonomically comfortable bike. They don't do any one thing best but probably do everything great.

Yamahas tend to be more powerful, more agile light in the front end. Certain models have had trans shifting problems but for the most part, the best description I can come up with is a street bike that can be directly taken to the track.

Kawasakis have never really been the powerbike until the last few years. It started with the new 600's and when the ZX10 came out, it was all over. The styles were updated, the power was great and the handling immensely improved. Now with the new ZX14, they're just getting bigger and badder. I personally wouldn't think twice about a new Kawasaki.

Suzukis are powerful, always have been, always will be. They are the most unergonomically comfortable bikes for street riding, the relationship between pegs, handlebars and tank is more prone for the race track. The chances of a Suzuki coming with upper race set (pegs) from the factory are much larger than the other brands. These bikes tend to be more for the track and though they are fully capable of street riding, they are more comfortable on the track.

Typically, you'll find that the squids that ride on the street will be on Suzukis... not sure why, just is.

I've ridden all of them and they are all great on the street, however I hate the way Suzukis CLUNK into gear... nowhere near as smooth shifting as a Honda.

I chose my Honda because I put 20K miles on the bike in one year and knew my legs, arms and knees would take a beating riding that many miles.... there is no way I could have done that on a Suzuki or Yamaha.

If I were to buy a bike for the first time, I'd definitely buy a used 600 Honda or Yamaha. If you insist on buying a brand new bike, I'd still start off with a 600 and would find one that fits me physically. There is no better feeling to have the balls of your feet on the pegs and your knees tucked sweetly under the indentation of tank making the bike feel like it's part of you.

HTH's,

Mark

Last edited by OrangeCrush : 11-07-2006 at 01:31 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:26 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
But how much can you usually knock off the MSRP price tag?

Typically, you can figure you can get about a grand off MSRP without too much dickering. Obviously the newer the model and depending on demand, the ability to negotiate fluctuates accordingly.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:14 AM
Hummer Veteran

Wow... ALL HAIL orangecrush.

That is some damn good advice. I think i will go with the cbr. I went to the dealership the other day and i did notice what you were talking about. More specifically the Honda's and how they're more comfortable than all the other bikes. I think for me, speed is not going to be a factor in my decision for a bike. I'm going to take it slow....REALLY SLOW and make sure i take all the classes cause i REALLY dont plan to fall any time soon. And i'm going to do everything i can to lower my chances of falling, lol. Anyways, with that said, the honda seems like a good choice for me because to me right now, comfort = most important. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks
Old 11-07-2006, 03:40 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
That is some damn good advice. I think i will go with the cbr.

Obviously I tend to like Honda more than the others but it's not because I'm brand specific, I could care less who makes it, if sunbeam quit making toasters and started making bikes, if the bike was good, I'd buy it.

Honda does everything very well. There's always some brand faster, quicker, handles better, brakes better, etc, etc... but Honda is always consistently at the top of that list in each dept.

And as far as speed... don't kid yourself about a 600. I ran low 12's in the qtr mile and was clocked at 154 by a officer running radar.

In the twisties, the bike is agile and quick. With a redline of 14K rpms, any 600 running at 10-12K rpms will pull hard and quick.

I know personally at the track, I was MUCH faster on my 600 than my 954 simply because too much torque out of a corner can be detrimental to corner speed and you have to back off whereas the 600 is waiting to be cracked open.... VERY MANAGEABLE.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Mark
Old 11-07-2006, 04:37 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Wow... ALL HAIL orangecrush.

That is some damn good advice. I think i will go with the cbr. I went to the dealership the other day and i did notice what you were talking about. More specifically the Honda's and how they're more comfortable than all the other bikes. I think for me, speed is not going to be a factor in my decision for a bike. I'm going to take it slow....REALLY SLOW and make sure i take all the classes cause i REALLY dont plan to fall any time soon. And i'm going to do everything i can to lower my chances of falling, lol. Anyways, with that said, the honda seems like a good choice for me because to me right now, comfort = most important. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks

NO WAY IN HELL ARE MY BOXING THAT UP~!
Old 11-07-2006, 04:45 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgco
NO WAY IN HELL ARE MY BOXING THAT UP~!

>=D
Old 11-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Hummer Professional

I agree that you cannot beat the workmanship and detail that Honda puts into their bikes. Look for a CBR from 01 up.

Best advice I can give is wear the proper gear (helmet, boots, bloves, leather jacket) and take it easy. A lot will depend on the crowd you ride with, becasue if you ride with a bunch of squids its only a matter of time before you are tempted into doing something stupid.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motohead

A lot will depend on the crowd you ride with, becasue if you ride with a bunch of squids its only a matter of time before you are tempted into doing something stupid.

Sound advice from someone who obviously rides. Never be goaded into something you're not ready for. 99.9% of all accidents are rider input and I'd say that the vast majority of those are people who are riding over their head.

It's very easy to get pushed into riding over your head because you're buddies are with you and you're "just trying to keep up".

A true riding buddy will ride at his own pace and if you're smart, so will you.

You'll also find that more than 50% of the people you meet that ride have no business being on a bike. Popping wheelies, endos may look cool but half of those guys got chicken strips (the "unused" portion of the edge of the tires on either side) on their tires wider than the width of the tire they ride on.

Half of them are posers.

Mark