H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 09-25-2004, 06:52 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

_
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2004, 06:59 PM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Patriot:
The reaon I asked is because I didn't see it on the H2 in the pictures posted above??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I figured that. Those pics are from when I changed out my DRLs to Cibie Tangos. I didn't take any pics before I got started and just used those for reference. I just put up some new pics with the bumper almost finished and I now have a black grill and the light bar.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:01 PM

Patriot is off the scale

Looks good...

I just painted my grill black today...
Old 09-25-2004, 07:05 PM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Patriot:
Looks good...

I just painted my grill black today... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I am going to have to end up doing something to get all of the blacks matching up front. Between the grill, the lower grill, the brush guard, the light bar, the plastic on top of the bumper and the bumper itself, there are all kinds of blacks going on.

I bought a new black grill and still have the chrome one hanging up in my shop. I probably should have had it prepped and painted so the blacks would be closer.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:37 PM

Patriot is off the scale

I'm not gonna sweat the mismatched blacks...it would be too hard and cost a bunch to get them all to match up. Not only that, but they will probably fade and discolor at different rates too.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:53 PM
Banned

Went out to finish up and I don't think I got any further. My Cibies are giving me a little problem getting the bumper to line up and bolt down properly. I think I can come up with a simple fix for the Light Bar problem but either need to go buy something or make something BUT I don't have anything up here to make anything. All of those tools, metal and stuff is down at the ranch, so that will have to wait.

Now, the POS cable is definitely not long enough to route the way the instructions explain. I am going to try a few options to remedy that problem but Tracey said Warn would take care of this problem.

My suggestion to those that have not started yet is to get Warn to replace the control box. Let them re-do the bolts so that it mounts properly and also add length to the POS cable. That would save some hassle.

Right now I have one of the big bumper bolts cross-threading because of the misalignment due to my Cibies and I guess I am going to have to put a cheater bar on it to get it to pull up the rest of the way.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

Fever is off the scale

How much longer does the pos cable need to be?
Old 09-25-2004, 08:48 PM

Kevin B is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Right now I have one of the big bumper bolts cross-threading because of the misalignment due to my Cibies and I guess I am going to have to put a cheater bar on it to get it to pull up the rest of the way. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Youch! Be careful not to break the bolt. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I should have taken the piece off and done it right. If you break the bolt off you are screwed. Hope you can "open" the hole up a bit, chase the threads and get it lined up.

Are you happy with it so far? Where do you plug the controller in? The spool free/lock lever looks a little vulnerable, is it? Can you use a roller fairlead?

BTW I love it. It doesn't have the R.A. "Im having a bad day" look, and after you mash it up a little it should match just fine .
Old 09-25-2004, 09:20 PM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fever:
How much longer does the pos cable need to be? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I would say 8" at the shortest but probably 12" to be safe. I pulled the wire a different route and got it to hook up. BUT I have an Optima battery with both top and side posts. I have one of those do-hickeys you add to a standard battery post that allows you to easily wire up aftermarket accessories. So, my wires are bolting up on top and not using the side posts which are aft. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

Fever is off the scale

For those of you who purchased this setup check your pm.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:46 PM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by N2ITNSD:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Right now I have one of the big bumper bolts cross-threading because of the misalignment due to my Cibies and I guess I am going to have to put a cheater bar on it to get it to pull up the rest of the way. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Youch! Be careful not to break the bolt. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I should have taken the piece off and done it right. If you break the bolt off you are screwed. Hope you can "open" the hole up a bit, chase the threads and get it lined up.

Are you happy with it so far? Where do you plug the controller in? The spool free/lock lever looks a little vulnerable, is it? Can you use a roller fairlead?

BTW I love it. It doesn't have the R.A. "Im having a bad day" look, and after you mash it up a little it should match just fine . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I had already screwed up the threads before I knew it. I was using a 1/2" rachet and just didn't feel it get started. The bolt did not get cross-threaded, it was the mounts. So, I figured I would cinch it up and if it broke I would drill it out and re-thread it. I was going to have to re-thread anyway. It cinched up fine, the bolt cut new threads and once it had made it all the way through, it got easier.

I am happy with it except for the "problems" with it being a first run. I really like the build of it and it is definitely well-engineered. The controller plugs into the top of the bumper just to the right of the lock lever. The winch would have to be a new design for the lever to be on top (where it should be), but it has one retaining screw that holds it in, and should be easy to replace if you break it off running into something. It probably sticks out about 2 inches or so. I think you could easily bolt on a roller fairlead in replace of the hawse but I am going with synthetic rope soon anyway.

Once it gets the same amount of bugs and dirt on it that the rest of the front end has, I think it'll look fine.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:53 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Paragon, I had the same problem with the bolts not going in straight.

However, thanks to Gobi for their help, We re-threaded two bolts and I'm done. I made two ABS Plastic guards to go over the bumper too. so when you take the winch cable hook to your tow hook, it won't be scratched over and over again. as for the POS cable being to short, their is a red box to the left of the battery and down further. I just an the POS cable to that... it reached just barely.

Overall, the project took me from 10:30 til 4:30 with an hour and a half brake becasue it rained and all of mt tools and trcuk were outdoors.

So here are some half-a$$es pics of the final job.

Overall it wasn't a bad project and am happy to answer an Q's anyone has on the installation.

Thanks Fever for the great deal and all of your follow through on this.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:57 PM
Hummer Guru

Pic 1
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2004, 11:58 PM
Hummer Guru

Pic 2
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2004, 11:58 PM
Hummer Guru

Pic 3
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2004, 11:59 PM
Hummer Guru

Pic 4
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2004, 12:05 AM
Hummer Veteran

Fever is off the scale

Looks great!! Send me more info on the light bar.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:06 AM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

timgco, I like those extra lights! Q: Why don't you just cut out circles, instead of chopping off the trim?
Old 09-26-2004, 12:12 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2Finally:
timgco, I like those extra lights! Q: Why don't you just cut out circles, instead of chopping off the trim? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tried that at first. when you open the hood, their toast. So that is what I ended up with. I have to pick up my powder coated bracket yet and put that on. All Black. I want to do something with the Bling grille too.. not sure what to do yet on that.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:20 AM

Patriot is off the scale

Timgco,

Are the cross threaded bolts a real concern?? Or, if one takes their time, could they be prevented? We all don't have access to thread kits. Maybe getting all the bolts started and then tightening all of them slowly?