H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 04-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilD:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CO Hummer:
Thanks for the info Phil. I've been considering the upgrade to the Fabtech's. But I'm at 3.5 years without a break of my original tie rods. I'm almost sentimental about them - no breaks in 6 Moab trips.
If it ain't broke... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
... then you've been a lucky SOB.
The wise & prudent thing to do would be to immediately upgrade to the Fabtech HD tie rods. I think of all of the things I've done with my H2 and shudder thinking about all of the places I could have been stranded with a gimpy stock tie rod bent or snapped.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:50 PM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by DRTYFN:
The wise & prudent thing to do would be to immediately upgrade to the Fabtech HD tie rods. I think of all of the things I've done with my H2 and shudder thinking about all of the places I could have been stranded with a gimpy stock tie rod bent or snapped.

I watched Adam change out three of them this week. He does it in like 15 minutes. I always carry a spare, so I'm not that worried about getting stranded since it's a fairly easy change out.

...that said, I am going to get the HD in the near future.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Hummer Deity

Fubar is an unknown quantity at this point

what critical parts? Anything up stream from an easily replaced tie rod. Just about everyone has spare tie rods hell we went threw 3 in under 4hrs on one truck. It's a 10 minute job to replace them. That can't be said for a broken t-case, stearing box, axel, or any other part up stream from the tie rods. I know you sell HD tie rods and sorry if this has hit a little close to home for you but you can't possibly argue the fact that it is easier to replace a tie rod than the other components further up the line from it. So regardless if it is designed to break or breaks because of too much stress, bad driving or whatever the fact that it breaks or fails proably protects the rest of the drive line.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

Tah2oe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by CO Hummer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRTYFN:

I watched Adam change out three of them this week. He does it in like 15 minutes. I always carry a spare, so I'm not that worried about getting stranded since it's a fairly easy change out.

...that said, I am going to get the HD in the near future. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea and when I go wheeling in the future I am always going to take Adam with me. The tie rod he changed in the sand storm had to be the worst.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Hummer Authority

ShaggyX is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
WTF How do you break a t-case or driveshaft because of a HD tie rod?
Have you seen Fubar drive?
Old 04-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by h2co-pilot:
But.... if you are driving it harshly or whatever and that tie rod will not brake- something would have to give in. If not the tie rod something else along the line will give- it is just physics.
Why would something else have to break? The center link is way stronger than the stock tie rods, and the Pitman/idler arms and steering box can handle much more abuse than the stock tie rods can. The stock tie rods are a weak point.

Most people will never break the stock ones, but HD ones simply fix a weak point.

Now if you abuse your truck, you will break something else, but that goes with the territory.

To say that having weak tie rods is a good thing, because it will stop you breaking something else is just plain messed up </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whew! I'm glad this just came in. I had drawn the hacksaw, and was about to cut weak points back into my FT rods. I'll put it away for now.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
Originally posted by Tah2oe:
The tie rod he changed in the sand storm had to be the worst.

Actually, I think when he had to change it on Golden Spike while the engine was running (for the simultaneous rear winching activity) and while the vehicle was slipping was the worst. "Come on, guys "

But you're right... The change-out on Metal Masher doesn't look like much fun:

Old 04-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Hummer Deity

Fubar is an unknown quantity at this point

well let see Phill what transfer all the stress and torque from the wheels. What is the first component in line to transfer the load? Tie rods, right? So it makes sense that if they don't fail under extreme stress, like wheel spin then said wheel suddenly stopping as it connects with the ground that something else not as easily replaced is going to fail. Yes? No? Hell I give up, you win, I'll be ordering some Fabtech Tie rods shortly, just so I'm covered.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Hummer Messiah

In all seriousness.....Adam's proficiency in tie rods swap outs was MUCH appreciated. Each time we broke one we'd just say "Oh, no problem. ADAM!..."
Old 04-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fubar:
That can't be said for a broken t-case, stearing box, axel, or any other part up stream from the tie rods.
WTF How do you break a t-case or driveshaft because of a HD tie rod?

Quote:
I know you sell HD tie rods and sorry if this has hit a little close to home for you
Pleezzzz I don't care if I never sell another tie rod, do not make this personal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From personal experience, I can tell you that Phil has talked me out of buying expensive stuff from him to the point of convincing me I don't need stuff I was planning on getting from him. He's done this both on the phone and on this forum (see, e.g., http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/t...1/m/2821074371 ). From my expereince, Phil = integrity. He also knows a hell of a lot about these rigs.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

That picture explains what he brought out from underneath the truck shortly after.

Old 04-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Hummer Expert

Marcmedic is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by h2co-pilot:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

That picture explains what he brought out from underneath the truck shortly after.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kind of funny how it's the same H2 in both pics...