H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 09-14-2003, 04:46 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

and here is terminal F2 (make sure you see my next post on page 3 of this thread....that way you don't respond and only after realize there was another post)

[This message was edited by Steve R on 09-14-03 at 11:57 AM.]
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2003, 04:56 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Here is my theory:

Ground/negative juice comes in through the connector and is brought directly to the winch motor housing and attached to the terminal "winch motor ground". The entire carriage is "lit-up" with negative juice and is common with the frame of the vehicle.

From there, the negative juice is picked-up in the solenoid housing where a wire likely runs from a ground into the solenoids. The solenoids also have positive juice coming into them as well. The solenoids then "dance" their connections (via the remote switch) to feed the winch motor juice in an according polarity to produce a pulling or pushing action.

The fact that the "A" terminal has a negative reading at rest would indicate that the positive is switched and would be fed to the F2 terminal when triggered. When the winch works in the opposite direction the solenoids act to lift the negative "off" terminal A and instead apply it to terminal F2..while at the same time applying positive juice to terminal A. Viola'

This all makes excellent sense to me, it follows. What do ya think???

While the winch motor is isolated electically from the chassis/carriage in order to move in both directions, the carriage is still negatively charged and grounded.

We're both right. right?
Old 09-14-2003, 05:07 PM

Kevin B is off the scale

Steve,

Is your winch a XD9000i? (hard to tell from the pictures) If so I have the same winch and it came from the factory fully wired and the only connections I had to make were to power the leads. With that in mind I can't imagine why someone would mess with the wiring to the solenoids is kind of scary.

I remember you describing the "killer" deal a couple of months ago you got for all the stuff but you might want to check it out!

Long ago I had a gf who would wake me up in the middle of the night, more like early morning (2 and 3 AM.) doing housework. I have also known guys who would stay up all night (actually days) taking things apart because they cant sleep or sit still, get my drift? I wonder if that might have something to do with it. Anyway something about the story just doesn't add up.

I may be mistaken but I dont think the purpose of the conector is to "isolate" as much as it is to insure a clean power supply to the winch. my 02$
Old 09-14-2003, 07:47 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

The winch I have is a model 9500. My buddy Rick tells me that it had to be modified to fit into that cradle/carriage and apparently the solenoid pack was re-mounted in its loction via a bracket. Bottom line, it's not stock...but it sure looked like it was.

The terminal on the bottom of the winch is quite large & beefy....it would seem that it was intended to have a large-size cable attached to it. This is where the negative comes in from the connector, while the postive comes right into the solenoid housing.

Meanwhile, inside the solenoid housing there is a definite place for the postiive to come into...but nothing apparent for the negative. I'm figuring the winch is intended to be wired in this manner....positive coming into the soldenoid housing and negative to the motor ground and then into the solenoid housing via the carriage. I don't have the manual.....I'm pretty sure Winchman will tell us.

As for the killer deal, yes....I got the winch, Garmin 5 GPS, PIAA headlights, roof rack, high-lift, tow straps, snatch-block, and other assorted goodies for a mere $750. All the stuff, recently bought new cost about $3,500.

I know the guy who sold it all to me, he's not dishonest like that. When I told him the winch burned he was in complete denial that he could have wired it wrong. He just made a mistake. Those connectors can have the terminals just slip out and be re-inserted....it could have been fixed in 30 seconds!