H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-27-2003, 01:44 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys...

That is what is so Great about the H2. We have so many choices of options from the factory " do you wan't air suspension with that or standard?" not just color, fabric, or stereo choices. Presently to get the height adjust feature with a standard coil suspension I would have to go with a aftermarket air shock similar to what is on a Escalade or Tahoe from the factory. Tom Cepek's suspension might be the "Hot Ticket" when it becomes available.

One thing that is not obvious in the picture I posted above is that the sway bar does not protrude out any farther than what the tire does and therefore does Not affect the H2's angle of departure. The only place the bar might get hit would be in the "Rock Gardens". Only way to find out whether disconnecting the sway bar will help axle articulation is do a "Ramp Index" with it connected and disco'ed and see how much the numbers change.

Steve... over in the General Discussion sec. I posted a picture of the rear bumper height of my standard coils in the "Headlight Setting.. a Theory" thread. Mine measured 35 3/8 inches to top of rear bumper. If you find time can you measure your bumber height as I did in the picture with your H2 at both "normal" and "lifted" ride height settings and post the measurements. It might be interesting to compare apples to oranges for the people here to see how the two suspensions differ from each other. I do know that they use different rear shocks on each of them.

Don
Old 01-27-2003, 07:14 PM

TonkaH2 is off the scale

Yikes, my truck is being built as we speak, and I'm suddenly rethinking the air spring assembly/ride height sensor concept. It does look easy to break, and there have been a few failures. . . hmmm. What a revolting development.

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order [forever]
Alaska to ??? June '03
www.sunspotnatural.com
Old 01-27-2003, 09:06 PM

Mike97ZJ is off the scale

Well, I think the only way to settle it is for one of you guys to grab your socket set and crawl under there and unbolt that swaybar.

But first, find some kind of obstacle you can climb up with one front wheel to test your travel. Climb up as far as you can before a rear wheel lifts, then take a picture. Either that, or place a rear tire on it and back up the obstacle.

Go back home, unbolt the swaybar, and then go do it again and take another pic.

Doesn't have to be offroad. A good sized rock, the edge of a culvert, even the edge of a loading dock ramp will work.

Steve... I'm happy to share any info that I have on the SFA thing. I was just kidding you about the debate thing. I just don't want to go spouting off about the SFA and come off like I'm trying to be superior or anything.

And I know you didn't design the truck, but there's no reason you can't defend it or be proud of it.

I agree with you about the geared hubs. It would have been really cool if the H2 had them up front, along with a solid rear axle. They actually make straight axles with hubs like that, now THAT would be really cool, to have those bad boys front and rear.

Don.....As far as that swaybar, the thing that I noticed is that it looks pretty vulnerable bolted below the axle like that. My shock mounts hang down below the axle in much the same way, and I've nailed them pretty good on rocks. The shock mounts are pretty beefy, much more beefy than the way that sway is attached. I figure you got 6k lbs of Hummer moving forward and a rock snags just the bar, you're likely to shear it right off if you hit it hard enough.

I guess it depends on the wheeling you do. Around here, we have a lot of stumps and things like that in addition to rocks. One time I thought I cleared a log in the trail, but I ended up with it wedged underneath my t-case skidplate. I had to rock it back and forth a bit to free it.

Oh well, that's enough for now. I'm off to my welding class.

You know, I really love these tech discussions.

Maybe we ought to get our own forum, LOL.

*member of the \"No Hummer Krew\"*
Old 01-28-2003, 01:06 AM

Here's a few pics of my Jeep with the swaybar connected and disconnected. I figured I'd post them for the sake of....well just for the sake of me wanting to post pics, LOL.

This is my ZJ up on a rock with no rear swaybar and the front bar is connected.

This is my Grand on a different rock, but with the front swaybar DISconnected this time. It's different angle than the other pic, but you get the idea.

You can see that on my vehicle, it makes quite a bit of difference.

I know this doesn't really relate to what we're talking about, but hey, I felt like posting pics.

1997 Grand Cherokee TSi
It's got some lift, skids, and rock rails, among other things.

*member of the "No Hummer Krew"*

Old 01-28-2003, 03:23 PM

TonkaH2 is off the scale

BTW, guys, I am screwed on changing horses in mid-stream, so to speak. So I guess I'll be stress-testing the air-suspension as much as possible through the states.

I have been looking under my buddies' '2, and there's a lot to snag on behind the engine. I need to get full skidplate protection under the exhaust, drive-shaft, etc. So I'll be a guinea-pig for getting that stuff made, I guess. If anybody hears of a company working on it, let us know.

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order [forever]
Alaska to ??? June '03
www.sunspotnatural.com
Old 01-28-2003, 06:01 PM

Can you guys see the above pics? I could se them fine last night when I posted them, but now, on a different computer, they aren't showing up.

I suck at the internet.

Old 01-28-2003, 11:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2 TOIE is off the scale

i saw them yesterday to now there gone so its not you

Dan
Old 01-28-2003, 11:05 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2 TOIE is off the scale

and as soon as i posted that reply the pic came back