H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 04-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

Rockyot is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan06SUT:
I would take my chances if it were beside the tire, but not on the back of it.
Have you found a carrier yet? If not a fabrication shop in Orange County California is starting to produce one that will hold a Septor tank and mount on the factory spare tire holder to the left of the tire.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:57 AM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Rockyot:
Have you found a carrier yet? If not a fabrication shop in Orange County California is starting to produce one that will hold a Septor tank and mount on the factory spare tire holder to the left of the tire.
So is the plan to put the can way out over the latch end so that it isn't covered by the spare tire at all? I don't have the OE carrier, I have a Husky carrier with just a single vertical post. But the gap between the back of the spare and the lift gate doesn't allow for a 6.75" gas can to fit in there...without adding a spacer on the tire mount? Does the OEM carrier have a bigger gap?
Old 05-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Hummer Authority

Alan06SUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan06SUT:
I would take my chances if it were beside the tire, but not on the back of it.
Have you found a carrier yet? If not a fabrication shop in Orange County California is starting to produce one that will hold a Septor tank and mount on the factory spare tire holder to the left of the tire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not yet. Are there pics of it yet? Sounds interesting.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Hummer Authority

Alan06SUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by ree:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rockyot:
So is the plan to put the can way out over the latch end so that it isn't covered by the spare tire at all? I don't have the OE carrier, I have a Husky carrier with just a single vertical post. But the gap between the back of the spare and the lift gate doesn't allow for a 6.75" gas can to fit in there...without adding a spacer on the tire mount? Does the OEM carrier have a bigger gap? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> On the stock one you would still have to move the tire over to the right in order to fit the can and still be a ble to use the latch...I think.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ree:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rockyot:
So is the plan to put the can way out over the latch end so that it isn't covered by the spare tire at all? I don't have the OE carrier, I have a Husky carrier with just a single vertical post. But the gap between the back of the spare and the lift gate doesn't allow for a 6.75" gas can to fit in there...without adding a spacer on the tire mount? Does the OEM carrier have a bigger gap? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> On the stock one you would still have to move the tire over to the right in order to fit the can and still be a ble to use the latch...I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Nope.

I working on something
Old 05-01-2006, 11:00 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
On the stock one you would still have to move the tire over to the right in order to fit the can and still be a ble to use the latch...I think.

Then it sounds like this fab shop story could be BS:
(1) a Scepter can will not fit between the tire and the lift gate (it doesn't on my Husky carrier)
(2) moving can way out to the left (viewed from behind) with some bracket so that it clears the spare and is lifted above the handle obscures the left tail lights

I just don't think a traditionally-sized jerry can is going to work back there. Switch to something slimmer, which probably doesn't exist yet, and it might be workable.

Because I've got a single vertical post holding the spare, I could probably mount a pair of those [aforementioned] thin Kolpin ATV tanks on end on either side of the spare. But for 6.5 gallons of gas it hardly seems worth it.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally posted by ree:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan06SUT:
On the stock one you would still have to move the tire over to the right in order to fit the can and still be a ble to use the latch...I think.

Then it sounds like this fab shop story could be BS:
(1) a Scepter can will not fit between the tire and the lift gate (it doesn't on my Husky carrier)
(2) moving can way out to the left (viewed from behind) with some bracket so that it clears the spare and is lifted above the handle obscures the left tail lights

I just don't think a traditionally-sized jerry can is going to work back there. Switch to something slimmer, which probably doesn't exist yet, and it might be workable.

Because I've got a single vertical post holding the spare, I could probably mount a pair of those [aforementioned] thin Kolpin ATV tanks on end on either side of the spare. But for 6.5 gallons of gas it hardly seems worth it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Probably can't help you, but those with the regular tire carriers will be able to carry a single Blitz can.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

Rockyot is off the scale

I have one being fabricated right now for the rear left of the factory tire carrier. If someone wants another i should have photos in about two weeks.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

Rockyot is off the scale

I just read Paragon's response. Yes it is going to be on the left and above the factory latch. It will not block the left tailight. We have already done a cardboard mock up and are welding in stainless steel now. I am thinking about producing them for sale. Mine will be in polished SS for pictures only. Production if it works properly will be in unpainted steel.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally posted by PARAGON:
Probably can't help you, but those with the regular tire carriers will be able to carry a single Blitz can.

Quote:
I just read Paragon's response. Yes it is going to be on the left and above the factory latch.

Qs for either of you:

So it the gap between the liftgate and tire on the OE carrier more than 6.5"?

Or will the can sit more next to the tire instead of between it and the lift gate?
Old 05-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

Rockyot is off the scale

Mine is going to sit next to the tire not between the door and the tire.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

Rockyot is off the scale

It will only work with factory size tires. Oversize tires will have to come up with something else.