H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 09-26-2004, 12:26 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Patriot:
Timgco,

Are the cross threaded bolts a real concern?? Or, if one takes their time, could they be prevented? We all don't have access to thread kits. Maybe getting all the bolts started and then tightening all of them slowly? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't a matter of being careful or starting them slowly. It was the way everything lined up when I went to instal everything. Before you put the bumper on, put all of your two hook bolts in and tighten them. Either I missed a step or forgot to put all of the bolts in and tighten or something was misaligned. Both bolts were that way taking them out of the tow hook threads. Strange both were the front bolts too. Just be cautious... those bolts seemed soft and may snap if forced too much.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:27 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Patriot:
Looks good...

I just painted my grill black today... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BTW, what did you use for paint and the process to do this? Is this someting I could do in the garage? Or do I have to have this done by an Auto Body?
Old 09-26-2004, 01:38 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by timgco:
Paragon, I had the same problem with the bolts not going in straight.

However, thanks to Gobi for their help, We re-threaded two bolts and I'm done. I made two ABS Plastic guards to go over the bumper too. so when you take the winch cable hook to your tow hook, it won't be scratched over and over again. as for the POS cable being to short, their is a red box to the left of the battery and down further. I just an the POS cable to that... it reached just barely.

Overall, the project took me from 10:30 til 4:30 with an hour and a half brake becasue it rained and all of mt tools and trcuk were outdoors.

So here are some half-a$$es pics of the final job.

Overall it wasn't a bad project and am happy to answer an Q's anyone has on the installation.

Thanks Fever for the great deal and all of your follow through on this. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Which bolts? Mine was the bottom on the passenger side for the bumper itself. The bolt for my Cibie Lights (which replaced my DRLs and are bolted to the top of the metal bumper) hits the control box and made it difficult to line up in hindsight. If I would have caught it before I put the wrench to it I could have avoided the crossthreading.

Was the bolts in the bottom of your control box backwards? Mine were in the holes farthest from where the wires come out and wouldn't bolt up because it hit the body. I moved the bolts to the other 2 holes and it then worked fine. On mine there were tool marks around the holes that I had to use like the bolts were there at one time but got moved.

You didn't miss a step or anything, the dumb-rections said not to put the bolts in the front 2 bolt holes on the hooks so that the hooks can pivot down and you can tighten the nuts just to the inside of that opening.

I was lucky on the POS cable length after re-routing it because I could attach to the top of my Optima battery. But there is no way to make it around to the POS battery post that's on the side, it needs more length. I looked at the red box but it appeared it wouldn't make it to it where I had it coming up into the engine box.

Patriot, I think if you know about it ahead of time you can avoid the cross-threading. Just make sure it gets started and if it is misaligned, maybe loosen some other bolts up and try again. I know with mine, it was my fault for not making sure it was aligned and taking more time to work around my problem with my fog lights.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:23 PM

Patriot is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by timgco:
Looks good...

I just painted my grill black today... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BTW, what did you use for paint and the process to do this? Is this someting I could do in the garage? Or do I have to have this done by an Auto Body? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used Krylon SemiFlat Black (from Walmart). A year ago, I painted my wheel center caps with this stuff and they held up just fine to wheeling,weather, and washings.

I removed the grill and scuffed it with a sanding block and a coarse nylon 3-M pad. It has a very thick coating of clear coat over the chrome paint. I scuffed it just enough to give the paint some grab...but made sure not to "gouge" the plastic.

The black paint adheres pretty good but if you are determined to scratch it off, it will come off. I tested a spot on the lower tabs that are not visible installed and it took a FIRM scrathing to get the paint to come off...I felt OK with it.

It took about 30 minutes to paint...so if it gets banged up, I will simply remove it and repaint as necessary.

You could probably take it to a paint shop to do as well. You may get a better lasting paint job.

I'm not too hung up on my H2's looks. A few scrathes on the grill are no biggie..so a grill repaint every Spring or Fall is cheap.

Overall, my biggest concern is bug guts and the acid they contain. I'll let you know over time how the paint holds up.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:40 PM
Banned

-
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2004, 02:40 PM
Banned

control box
Attached Images