H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-26-2002, 10:33 PM
Hummer Professional

HUMMERDOGG is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I'm sick this day after Christmas so what do I do but go and pick up $50 worth of magazines at Border's Bookstore to entertain myself on the couch. So I'm reading through the new Motor Trend 'Truck Trend' and see that they are doing the 2003 SUV of the Year. So I flip to the first page of the article expecting to see our beautiful 7 slot chrome grill and instead, what do I see, but a Volvo XC90!!! WTF?!... I don't think I've ever even seen this car. We were in the running but got nailed on the: Cheap interior plastic; Fuel-thirsty engine; poor rearward visibility...

Needless to say, I'm a little pissed so I pick up the new Four Wheeler magazine, you know, the one whose readership generally understands what it is to be a Hummer owner. Well, in the newest issue they have their Four Wheeler of the Year Shootout. So I tear open the magazine looking to see our H2 winning it all and, to my dismay, they have the new Lexus GX470 (fancy 4-Runner) beating out the H2 with the H2 barely beating out the newly redesigned Toyota 4-Runner. Augh!!!

So I read through the article and Four Wheeler evidently doesn't like the fact that "when the rear locker is engaged the H2 relies on its traction-control system for the front and that seemed to take plenty of wheelspin to engage". Also, they nailed us on narrow windows, sheer size and power output. Oh Well, I guess you can't win them all...
Old 12-26-2002, 10:33 PM
Hummer Professional

Well, I'm sick this day after Christmas so what do I do but go and pick up $50 worth of magazines at Border's Bookstore to entertain myself on the couch. So I'm reading through the new Motor Trend 'Truck Trend' and see that they are doing the 2003 SUV of the Year. So I flip to the first page of the article expecting to see our beautiful 7 slot chrome grill and instead, what do I see, but a Volvo XC90!!! WTF?!... I don't think I've ever even seen this car. We were in the running but got nailed on the: Cheap interior plastic; Fuel-thirsty engine; poor rearward visibility...

Needless to say, I'm a little pissed so I pick up the new Four Wheeler magazine, you know, the one whose readership generally understands what it is to be a Hummer owner. Well, in the newest issue they have their Four Wheeler of the Year Shootout. So I tear open the magazine looking to see our H2 winning it all and, to my dismay, they have the new Lexus GX470 (fancy 4-Runner) beating out the H2 with the H2 barely beating out the newly redesigned Toyota 4-Runner. Augh!!!

So I read through the article and Four Wheeler evidently doesn't like the fact that "when the rear locker is engaged the H2 relies on its traction-control system for the front and that seemed to take plenty of wheelspin to engage". Also, they nailed us on narrow windows, sheer size and power output. Oh Well, I guess you can't win them all...
Old 12-26-2002, 10:48 PM

SJ is off the scale

Hummerdogg:

I won't repeat what I wrote in my response to the Consumer Reports thread, but I've given up on most magazines.

Four Wheeler is usually one of the better magazines when it comes to rating vehicles based on their off-road worthiness, so I'm a bit suprised. On the other hand, the rating for SUV of the Year is weighted by criteria for the status quo and therein lies the H2's weakness. The H2 is not for the average SUV buyer, let alone the average consumer. The H2 won't appeal to people that have no desire to venture off the beaten path.
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 12-26-2002, 10:49 PM

SOCAL XMER is off the scale

Yah but you know the truth that the H2 would kick all of there asses in the real world! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

future H2 owner
Old 12-26-2002, 10:52 PM
Hummer Professional

AMEN BROTHER
Old 12-26-2002, 10:52 PM
H2 Club NY Chapter Founder

WHITE BEAST is off the scale

DON'T WORRY, WE ARE STILL THE KINGS OF THE ROAD.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:10 PM

JJ is off the scale

I never put much stock in Motor Trend's opinoin, but 4-wheeler - that's a bit of a surprise. They must be trying to enlarge their subscriber base by appealing to the luxury class. Nice to know that we have luxury and awesome off-road capability not to mention safety all rolled up into one great package.

Did a little bit of wheelin today in a sandy arroyo near the house and used the rear locker several times while climbing some rather steep sides of the arroyo - what a blast. A group of young adults came screaming by in a blazer and they gave me the all hands wave - cool.

JJ
Old 12-26-2002, 11:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

cognitive is off the scale

Oh come on people. The XC90 is an outstanding car in its own right. The H2 isn't for the masses. Besides, the comments about poor interior, bad fuel consumption, and lack of rearward visibility are all right on the money and the XC90 definitely has the advantage here. The XC90 is more practical too.

Of course if there was a category for 'image' the H2 would win without a question. But who really cares? Did you get the H2 to be popular? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2002, 12:00 AM

JJ is off the scale

Cognitive, you're right the XC90 is an outstanding CAR in its own right. And vovlo builds a great product.

I purchased by H2, not for image, but for UTILITY. I wanted the ability to road trip in comfort and take on a wide array of jeep trails such as those found throughout Colorado.

I just can't imagine seeing an XC90 climbing a steep dirt incline out of a sandy arroyo or crawling through heavily washed out areas that would eat its belly.

And sense there are as many different buyers of SUVs as there are definition of UTILITY it doesn't shock be that 4-wheel drive minivans make it to the SUV list.

Just my opinion, and I equally respect yours.

JJ
Old 12-27-2002, 12:06 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Not sad at all, you maybe sick but you have a neat moving sexist icon.

I would be very surprised to find Hummer win any prize, not winning truck/SUV of the year was totally expected. I have never owned a Car Of The Year type of vehicle, I don't follow the herd, I want vehicles which are somewhat unique and not too common, rarely seen and top in its category. I am usually very confident of my selection and proud of my ownership, and frankly, my dear, I don't give a &%#$ what others think of my vehicle, ever.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:53 AM

Location: In the Deep South, Along the Shore of the Flint River
HummerGirl is off the scale

acckk...HummerDogg found my home movies...

hee hee just kidding! That is quite a hoot man!

~amy
HummerGirl's Home Page
Old 12-27-2002, 12:58 AM
Hummer Professional

Yeah, I found her in my stocking. I had to work out the kinks before I put her on the forum . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I will leave her up for a day and then take her down. I wouldn't want to offend any of the good people on this forum. I was really wanting SteveR to chime in on her before I took her down though...
Old 12-27-2002, 01:05 AM

JJ is off the scale

Yeah, I was hoping to see SteveR's response as well....

JJ
Old 12-27-2002, 01:06 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

HummerDogg, its you. Don't take it down, I like it. Nobody gave me no girl this Christmas.
Old 12-27-2002, 01:18 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't you dare take that beautiful thing down!!!!! It's mezmerizing. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] At certain angles I swear you can see "something".
Old 12-27-2002, 01:46 AM
Hummer Professional

Damn, I apologize for wasting everyone's time with this post. I didn't realize you guys talked about SUV/Truck of the Year Award over in "In The Press" section last week. I'm just now looking over some of these often skimmed over sections of the forum...
Old 12-27-2002, 02:10 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

sory to tak so longg to responn, its VERYY VRY HRAD to tyyp with omly one hand. nEed morr tyme too study hot-asz new icon...... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2002, 03:19 PM

H2Norcal is off the scale

The H2 is a huge target in the SUV market. The SUV vehicle class is not well defined either. I am not sure exactly what they are looking for when they choose these vehicles, but don't dispair. It will all settle down and you will feel no remorse as you drive your H2.

Remember, if they make this "4wd vehicle of the year", "SUV of the year", "truck of the year", "perfect new vehicle of the year", GM will build 10 new plants and produce 80-100k per year. We don't want this vehicle to be the next mass production 4-Runner. Just be glad they are nitpicking and have not exposed some giant flaw in design. That would spell big trouble for reselling and great embarrassment for those of us who drive it.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:53 PM

HeeHaw is off the scale

I certainly like your attitude. I AGREE! THE H2 is the one to beat and therefore it is going to be the focus of these "Keyboard Warriors." Most of them are to Lazy to get off their dead asses and experience things for themselves. But they sure think they write a good game though.

SOCAL XMER ..I'm with ya.

HeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Old 12-27-2002, 10:54 PM

HeeHaw is off the scale

COOL ICON..............

HeeeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwwwwww