H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-26-2002, 04:26 PM

Sprinter5 is off the scale

Does anybody know what the maximun psi is, for the air compressor and can it be adjusted anywhere on the system.
Old 12-26-2002, 04:26 PM

Sprinter5 is off the scale

Does anybody know what the maximun psi is, for the air compressor and can it be adjusted anywhere on the system.
Old 12-26-2002, 04:48 PM

SJ is off the scale

This remains a great mystery. I could not find information on the Hummer web site and don't know if I overlooked in the Owner's Manual.

I used the air compressor on my commuter car's tires and it worked very well. Actually stronger than I expected.
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 12-26-2002, 11:14 PM

JJ is off the scale

good question, I'd like to know that answer as well. Perhaps one of the members taking their H2 in to the dealer could ask the service manager and have him/her shown where/how/etc....

JJ
Old 12-26-2002, 11:52 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Please explain what is maximum psi (pound per square inch? as in tire pressure 30psi?), or simply how powerful is the air compressor, doesn’t this system need to powerful enough to lift a 4 tons vehicle? also what does it mean adjustable system wide?

What does it do beside vehicle balance and height adjustment, inflate tire, boat or doll with the hose supplied? Your question and answers seem to imply far greater uses and sophistication than the tasks indicated.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:22 AM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

Mac, you were not born in this country, were you? When did you get here?
Old 12-27-2002, 12:38 AM

JJ is off the scale

Heck, I'm hoping that the answer comes back in a form that supports the compressor being used for all my vehicle maintaining air tools... ratchets, grinders, etc. Okay, Okay, I agree, a bit impractical but wouldn't that be a great feature? I can see it now, get a flat, change the tire using my air ratchet and air jack in 15 minutes - faster than OnStar can find a mechanic.

I'm not sure why Mac would have a blow up doll in his H2 unless he uses it in the carpool lane...

JJ
Old 12-27-2002, 12:40 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I am on a secret mission from Mars.

Tex, please explain the air compressor thing.
Am I wrong to assume it balances and lifts Hummer, plus they added an outlet to inflate stuffs? what elese does it do? Maximum psi is basically how powerful it is, right? I never had a truck before, I want to learn more.
Your reply seems to indicate some common knowledge about air compressor that I totally missed? great, I want to learn.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:45 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Okay, I see. Based on what JJ said, if the air compressor is powerful enough, one can use those air powered tools. Makes sense, never thought of that.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:49 AM

JJ is off the scale

MAC, its highly unlikely that compressor can supply the pressure to run those air tools. The air tools need a constant sustained pressure and thus some sizeable holding tank for pressurized air would be required and I don't think our H2s are set up that way. However, I'd like to be wrong on this assumption...

JJ
Old 12-27-2002, 03:14 AM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

I'm guessing the air compressor will put out about 50 psi. But adding air pressure to large volumes (like our H2 tires) can seem kinda slow. Sombody ought to try and run a bicycvle tire up to about 40-50 psi and see how it works.

Jim
Red H2 in Texas
Old 12-27-2002, 04:02 AM
Hummer Professional

Hummie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

The air compressor should be capable of pressures above 100psi. This is well beyond what is required for the suspension. It does have enough pressure to rupture the air suspension bladers if the air leveling valve fails. Most large truck air suspensions only require about 20-40psi to support their 80k lb weight. Unfortunately the compressor lacks sufficient volume (CFM) run any kind of air tools. Compressors of the size in the H2 are rated in CFH (cubic feet/hour) that is why it takes so long to air up a tire. Most air tools require a pretty good supply volume, about 6-8 CFM @ 90psi to operate. Sorry, but it would be nice if it worked that way. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Don

[This message was edited by Hummie2 on December 26, 2002 at 10:17 PM.]
Old 12-27-2002, 04:57 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Don is right on the money with his explanation, so I'm NOT taking anything away from him...just elaborating.

There are two qualities about an air compressor's performance: volume and pressure.

Volume refers to the amount of air the compressor moves. A leaf-blower moves LOTS of air, but you could place your hand over the output and find that you'll restrict the air by applying about 10 pounds of pressure. Lots of volume, fair force.

The compressors in our H2's have tiny little pistons moving in a cylinder...each compression stroke moves only a little bit of air BUT it moves that air with such force behind it that, if hooked to an air hose, we could not stop that flow of air like the leaf-blower: that's pressure, the force behind the air.

A compressor (at Home Depot) will be rated by CFM, while CFM is a popluar description for a certain kind of stiletto high heel shoe...in the case of the compressor is relates to the Cubic Feet of air per Minute that the compressor can deliver. Most air-driven tools for a workshop take lots of air under fairly strong pressure....blah, blah, blah...our H2's tiny compressors could hardly keep up.

Air compressors also need a reservoir (or tank) to store all this air to provide capacity. There are other factors and nobody really cares. So blah blah blah, and blah blah blue. Just to prove that nobody cares I'll offer $100 to anyone who reads this and asks me for the money. Blah blah blah, bluch bluch. And that's why the cubs will never win the world series!
Old 12-27-2002, 03:30 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Steve, I read it, please send me $100.
Does that mean there a small tank of air on Hummer? doesn't seem likely. where is it?
Old 12-27-2002, 04:22 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help Steve

Thats the beautiful thing about this forum. Everyone's life experiences are so varied and the knowledge available here is so vast. I have been in heavy truck maintenance for the last 35yrs and sometimes I forget that others might not understand the mechanical workings of vehicles only because they haven't had the experiences of working on their rigs.

No air tank Mac. The compressor pumps directly into the suspension bladers on the H2. A air tank might be nice, but then we would have moisture condensation problems to deal with from people not draining the condensed water out of them. Automatic air tank drains/driers are costly and are usually a high maintenance item.

The air suspension on the H2 is probably designed about the best it possibly could be and should be pretty maitenance free as it is. I personally didn't order air suspension as I was pleased with ride on standard coil spring suspension. The H2s air suspension does have an advantage off road though in its adjustable ride height feature.

Don
Old 12-27-2002, 04:38 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAC:

What does it do beside vehicle balance and height adjustment, inflate tire, boat or doll with the hose supplied? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

C'mon Steve, give MAC the hundred bucks. He needs money for a new blow-up doll. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2002, 12:19 PM

Location: In the Deep South, Along the Shore of the Flint River
HummerGirl is off the scale

Yeah that would be nice if you could use the Air racheting system to remove lug nuts...I would hate to see any of you go David Banner trying to do it by hand. Hee hee...

~amy
HummerGirl's Home Page
Old 12-28-2002, 06:47 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

I sorta left that air-compressor tank issue a little bit short of explanation. A tank is used to store up compressed air as a reservior. As Hummie2 explained, our compressors feed right into the air-system directly: sorta a feed-as-it-needs deal.

For very little money, you could purchase a tank and simply pump it up with air from the compressor. It may take a few minutes, but could conceivably store enough air to mess with a few small air-tools or quickly inflate items. These tanks are available inexpensively from Harbor Freight Tools. They are usually the size of propane tanks. Air rachets take LOTS of air at a fast rate: big compressor required...well beyond our small unit.

Here is one other clever thing: The same company actually sells a re-usable aerosol can: you add your ingredients, close the thing up, attach the air hose and pump it up with pressure. Then you attach a variety of spray tips...and your ready to spray whatever you want: cleaning fluid, lubricant, paint, perfume...any liquids! Cost about $10 and can be quite handy at times.