H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-09-2005, 07:30 PM

BlackDragon is off the scale

Hey, all,

Just read through Mondo's thread about the escalade, and thought I'd run something by you all.

I'm the kinda person who really likes to have "the current model" car. My last car, a Y2K Corvette was sold on the basis that the new C6 was now available, and my car was suddenly aged and not quite as cool as it used to be.

This reasoning and desire of mine is part of the reason I bought an H2.

I have this theory that certain companies, due to their specific motivations to produce models of cars, back themselves into a "design dead end".

Examples of design dead ends:

* New Mustang: Ford admitting that the original model 'stang was the best looking. This now means that they will have real difficulty ever moving away from a design that mimicks that look. It's based on a retro design which is a moment in history that can never be changed.

* New Beetle: Same as above. A modern interpretation of a design classic from history. The new beetle is about to go through a "face lift", which is little more than slightly modified fenders. The new version looks like a bodykit on a standard bug.

* New Mini: Again, same as above. It's based on a moment in time which is a factual and unchangable fact, and as such, must always look the way it does.

So how does this apply to the Hummer?

The hummer was based on the H1 which was an out and out military vehicle. The main attraction to this was the way it looks, and the H2 is a "portrait" of that, if you will. It says "military", but really, it's a comfortable, roomy SUV.

Because the H2 is based on a moment in history, as with the other cars mentioned above, changing it will change it's focus and lose the thing that made it attractive (to most people) in the first place. Therefore, I think it's safe to assume that we'll see little or no cosmetic changes to the H2 in coming years, meaning that our cars should always be the current model

"Great!" I hear you say, "But so what?", well, with the escalade, you see the previous model on the street, and it looks old. No escaping from it - it's a relic compared to the new one, but think about it how cool is it that we will never be in that position with our H2's....?

If there was ever a reason not to sell your hummer, surely that's it?

Discuss....
Old 02-09-2005, 07:30 PM

Hey, all,

Just read through Mondo's thread about the escalade, and thought I'd run something by you all.

I'm the kinda person who really likes to have "the current model" car. My last car, a Y2K Corvette was sold on the basis that the new C6 was now available, and my car was suddenly aged and not quite as cool as it used to be.

This reasoning and desire of mine is part of the reason I bought an H2.

I have this theory that certain companies, due to their specific motivations to produce models of cars, back themselves into a "design dead end".

Examples of design dead ends:

* New Mustang: Ford admitting that the original model 'stang was the best looking. This now means that they will have real difficulty ever moving away from a design that mimicks that look. It's based on a retro design which is a moment in history that can never be changed.

* New Beetle: Same as above. A modern interpretation of a design classic from history. The new beetle is about to go through a "face lift", which is little more than slightly modified fenders. The new version looks like a bodykit on a standard bug.

* New Mini: Again, same as above. It's based on a moment in time which is a factual and unchangable fact, and as such, must always look the way it does.

So how does this apply to the Hummer?

The hummer was based on the H1 which was an out and out military vehicle. The main attraction to this was the way it looks, and the H2 is a "portrait" of that, if you will. It says "military", but really, it's a comfortable, roomy SUV.

Because the H2 is based on a moment in history, as with the other cars mentioned above, changing it will change it's focus and lose the thing that made it attractive (to most people) in the first place. Therefore, I think it's safe to assume that we'll see little or no cosmetic changes to the H2 in coming years, meaning that our cars should always be the current model

"Great!" I hear you say, "But so what?", well, with the escalade, you see the previous model on the street, and it looks old. No escaping from it - it's a relic compared to the new one, but think about it how cool is it that we will never be in that position with our H2's....?

If there was ever a reason not to sell your hummer, surely that's it?

Discuss....
Old 02-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

Tully is off the scale

I agree with you completely here, although, companies in general are in it to make money...surely modifications are soon in coming...but if Hummer mimic'd the expensive european models and waited 7-10+ years before significant changes to their model lines I would be ok w/ that...i doubt I'll ever get rid of my current H2 as long as it keeps on ticking...the only question is, will I be able to drive something else around? or feel guilty neglicting my baby
Old 02-09-2005, 07:49 PM

Sure, you're right about the companies wanting to make money, and I'm sure that there will be modifications (drive-train, interior etc), but I'd be very surprised (nay, stunned) if they significantly modified the exterior of the H2...

The Jeep Wrangler should have been up there too - no real change other than the headlight shapes - again, based on Military vehicles...
Old 02-10-2005, 06:39 AM
Hummer Veteran

PhillyPhreak is off the scale

Thats one of the reasons I am going with an H2 over the currest Escalade. I know the Escalade is being replaced next year.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you ought to give credit to those companies that hit a home run in the first place. There are a ton more forgettable cars than ones that set a standard. Cadillac definitely screwed up with the first edition Escalade, which is why the sales bottomed out. They corrected it with the 2nd round. But I agree - it's very cool that Hummer set the standard with the H2. I'm just really surprised that more companies don't have the balls to follow. Every SUV promoted at the 2005 auto shows (with the exception of the Rescue) featured smooth lines and more car-like styling. I don't see their sales figures skyrocketing with these new models like Hummer did with the initial introduction of the H2. I just wish more companies would take chances, I'm tired of seeing the same style on the road and trying to figure out if it's a Camry/Accord/Kia/whatever. They all look exactly the same, and pretty much belong in the back of Dug's hauler.

Stacy
Old 02-10-2005, 12:40 PM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

I hope you are right -- that upcoming H2's will not change the basic external styling for years.

I also like the fact that they are not produced in near the numbers as things like the Escalade.

A classic tough look and limited production should keep them where they need to be. Surely they never expect the H2 to be a "common" vehicle.

The H2 production run that first year was about 40,000. That same year the production of H1's was about 700. I don't know how the numbers have changed in the last couple of years.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Texas Red:
I also like the fact that they are not produced in near the numbers as things like the Escalade.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would love to see some production numbers, since I know Escalade sales are high. I always thought I saw a ton of them on the road, but just for fun, we've been keeping tallies on the weekends when we run errands. For about a month now, we've seen about 10 H2s for every 13 Escalades (including ESV and EXT, since we also count SUTs). The same ratio also works for my commute to work. So I don't know if it's just this area, but either there are not as many Escalades out there as you think, or there are a lot more H2s.

Stacy
Old 02-10-2005, 03:24 PM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

LOL 10 H2s......LOL I have 4 in my parking lot..... tooo many ballers in Vegas