H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Hummer Novice

Chuck-H2 is off the scale
Default Re: Gas Milage Tips And Mods?

I have a H-2 2005 LUX with 2400 miles so far, city driving, and after this 1st oil change I went with Mobil-1 and went from 9.9 to 10.1 on the dash meter for fuel consumtion, so this might help.?
I dont know how reliable the dash meter is but it seemed to help?
anyone else done this and did it make a difference?. I havent done anything else to the truck.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

H2 Ranger is an unknown quantity at this point

True that having synthetic oils in Eng, Xsmn, Diff etc. may help but the additional costs may not justify using it. Synthetic oils have been know to cause marginal seals to leak. If you worry about MPG I have to agree with Kenp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP
if you're worrying about the fuel consumption, then you should have bought something else.
x3
Old 06-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Hummer Professional

31_bandits is on a distinguished road

while its true that anybody who is going to be paranoid about mileage, yet bought a hummer, is fit for the looney bin...

the same could be said about anybody who wanted to go really fast, yet bought a hummer. so the same basic logic could be applied to superchargers and all of those.

nothing wrong with wanting better mileage or better 0-60 times, perhaps?

I noticed last night on my way by a road-side radar sign that my speedo said ~40, but the radar sign said 38. Now i realize this isn't proof-positive that my speedo is off, but...

if my speedo read high, perhaps my # of miles would run up too quickly, and the mileage reported by the 'puter would be skewed upward?

similarly, if some of you are running larger tire, perhaps your speedo reads low & your mileage gets reported as worse than it is?

is there something right or wrong with that thinking? I should calibrate it with mile markers & a roadside gas pump, perhaps.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Hummer Professional

i did "calibrate" the computer once with actual gallons used and the odometer reading.

That was spot-on. But if the odometer isn't right, then p'raps the mileage report isn't right either...

And on a side note, i think its funny as crap getting 15mpg. i know its still bad mileage, but it completely confuses people who ask about my mileage in an accusatory fashion.

"what do you get with the hummer"

"about 15 avg for highway/town"

"with what pulling it?"

"i think its a six liter V8"

"show me"

"ok"

"you reset that just a while ago and coasted in here to fill"

i had that convo, word for word, with some dude at the gas station a few weeks back. You see, enviro's WANT H2s to get 8. It wouldn't make them happier if we all got 20, it would make them mad. I swear that's true, or i guess at least. They'd be mad about all H2s averaging 20. Not happy because less gas was being used, less CO2 created, but mad because this vigilante cause, so slathered in self-righteousness, would be somewhat undone. They wouldn't be as much "better" as they thought they were.

And that, folks, just might be lame.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31_bandits
i did "calibrate" the computer once with actual gallons used and the odometer reading.

That was spot-on. But if the odometer isn't right, then p'raps the mileage report isn't right either...

And on a side note, i think its funny as crap getting 15mpg. i know its still bad mileage, but it completely confuses people who ask about my mileage in an accusatory fashion.

"what do you get with the hummer"

"about 15 avg for highway/town"

"with what pulling it?"

"i think its a six liter V8"

"show me"

"ok"

"you reset that just a while ago and coasted in here to fill"

i had that convo, word for word, with some dude at the gas station a few weeks back. You see, enviro's WANT H2s to get 8. It wouldn't make them happier if we all got 20, it would make them mad. I swear that's true, or i guess at least. They'd be mad about all H2s averaging 20. Not happy because less gas was being used, less CO2 created, but mad because this vigilante cause, so slathered in self-righteousness, would be somewhat undone. They wouldn't be as much "better" as they thought they were.

And that, folks, just might be lame.

I agree that most hippies, and people(morons) in general, refuse to believe, or don't want to believe that the H2 is capable of getting 15MPG. I say they think this because:
1. Their SU-BA-RU only gets 18MPG.
2. HUMMERS must be evil, because they're so cool.
3. Their minivan gets an awesome 19MPG
4. They believe GM is the worst automaker on the planet, and the General could never build any vehicle capable of high MPG or quality.

Personally, THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE MISSING!!!

I have noticed on every car I've owned (LC, BMW X5 and X3, H2) that the speedo always displays a higher speed than the radar thingys. I think it's to give you a buffer, that's built in to the car, against speeding. So you really think you're going 10 over when it's actually 7-8.

I agree that I'd like to get the best mileage I can. I see no reason why I shouldn't try for that. Lately, and this is really bugging me, the trip miles vs. gallons used is calculating something like 17MPG. The overall average is about 15 MPG according to the computer. I am going to find out today what the actual mileage is by dividing my next tank by the miles. But I do go easy on stoplight pullouts, try to time braking to avoid sitting at redlights, and keep the throttle low climbing the passes.

Actually, my theory is that those activities combine with decreased air pressure at high altitude (about 9,000 feet) cause the gas molecules injected into the engine to disperse more readily, therefore creating more complete combustion of the fuel and causing an increase in fuel economy. However, there is less O2 at this elevation, which may negate any such effects. Perhaps my H2 is just wonderfully fuel efficient.

Or maybe the trip computer is lying to me... I bet Onstar reprogrammed it to make me think that I'm getting better mileage.

I do notice that my tank seems to fluctuate wildly (I'm talking 1/4 tanks disappear in minutes) sometimes with it returning to previous levels.

Last edited by Aubs : 06-09-2006 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have absolutly NO issues with Fuel Mileage! Matter of Fact, drove to and around Reno for 4 days (approx. 1000 miles) and only filled the tank once--when i got back.

I know I'll be losing another MPG shortly after installing the GOBI!

Last edited by Big Z : 06-09-2006 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubs
I agree that most hippies, and people(morons) in general, refuse to believe, or don't want to believe that the H2 is capable of getting 15MPG. I say they think this because:
1. Their SU-BA-RU only gets 18MPG.
2. HUMMERS must be evil, because they're so cool.
3. Their minivan gets an awesome 19MPG
4. They believe GM is the worst automaker on the planet, and the General could never build any vehicle capable of high MPG or quality.

Personally, THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE MISSING!!!

I have noticed on every car I've owned (LC, BMW X5 and X3, H2) that the speedo always displays a higher speed than the radar thingys. I think it's to give you a buffer, that's built in to the car, against speeding. So you really think you're going 10 over when it's actually 7-8.

I agree that I'd like to get the best mileage I can. I see no reason why I shouldn't try for that. Lately, and this is really bugging me, the trip miles vs. gallons used is calculating something like 17MPG. The overall average is about 15 MPG according to the computer. I am going to find out today what the actual mileage is by dividing my next tank by the miles. But I do go easy on stoplight pullouts, try to time braking to avoid sitting at redlights, and keep the throttle low climbing the passes.

Actually, my theory is that those activities combine with decreased air pressure at high altitude (about 9,000 feet) cause the gas molecules injected into the engine to disperse more readily, therefore creating more complete combustion of the fuel and causing an increase in fuel economy. However, there is less O2 at this elevation, which may negate any such effects. Perhaps my H2 is just wonderfully fuel efficient.

Or maybe the trip computer is lying to me... I bet Onstar reprogrammed it to make me think that I'm getting better mileage.

I do notice that my tank seems to fluctuate wildly (I'm talking 1/4 tanks disappear in minutes) sometimes with it returning to previous levels.

http://www.landroverforums.com/m_12175/tm.htm

interestingly, that's about exactly what you hypothesized earlier.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Hummer Authority

GLBLWARMR is an unknown quantity at this point

I just drive downhill boths ways to wherever I am going.
2013 Victory Cross Country
2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
Old 06-13-2006, 02:39 AM
Hummer Novice

Lext is off the scale

Wow....
I Started this Post in March!
I am Floored that it is still alive!

Lext
Old 05-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Hummer Professional

johndjmix1 is off the scale

I did a test with my Ford Expedition over the summer, don't think I mentioned it to you guys. Normally my expo gets about the same milage as mt H2.

Removed roof rack bars.
Clean, new air filter.
Overinflate tires 8psi over max recomended PSI.
Fold in mirrors on highway (The expedition has HUDGE mirrors).
Set cruize at 60mph.

Went from H2 range (11-13 highway) to 17.5-19 mpg highway.

When it comes to cars Im hooked on my Fiance's saab 9-5. Full size 4 door car. 4 cyl turbocharged gas motor. 3,500 towing capasity. 31 mpg driving it normally....agressivly when im driving it still gets 30. The thing its pretty quick once the turbo spools up. Problem is she gets mad when I drive it. lol.

--John

1/4 Mile 15.29@91.34mph

Mods:
Magnusun Radix Supercharger!!!
Switch to allow full Nav Controls while moving
Warn 9.5 Winch
Old 05-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

fisherman is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Gas Milage Tips And Mods?

Well all of you are smarter than me. I got 12.1 miles to the gallon for 6000 miles. Last October I purchased the Fuel Maxx Vortex Generator on Ebay for 12 or 15 bucks. I started noticing an increase immediately and showed everyone in the office the reading on my dash. It read 13.7. I have only seen it go down once and that was the trip to Jackson Hole, Wyoming last Xmas. It was as low as 11.8 in the high mountains but coming back gradually incresed to 13.9. I'm driving back to Elkhart, IN. tomorrow and see Stuart at OEMDASH. Got to install Black Rims and one more piece of carbon fiber for the sun roof controls. I will get 13.7 or better on the interstate guarantee. If I couldn't afford the gas, I wouldn't have bought a Hummer but 10 % helps for the hotel bill. I do remember my 1974 "454" corvette getting 5.5 mpg.
The "fisherman"
Old 05-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Hummer Authority

mikejr is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a bit over 12K miles on mine. Most of my driving is stop and start and i commute a whopping 3/4 of a mile to my office in it. The dash says 11.7 MPG. Last long trip we took if i recall right, we got a bit over 13 MPG i think. But we were driving between 75 and 85 on the interstates.

I think others have said this before....its a Hummer...its heavy...its shaped like a brick...it never was designed for gas mileage. If you can afford to buy the truck...you can afford to buy the fuel.

When we were at the Pittsburgh International Car show last weekend we were looking at the mileage estimates for the various vehicles. You would be surprised that a large number of vehicles only get around 15 MPG around town....not much bettter than the H2 and sure as hell nowhere near as cool as the H2.....well....all but the rolls royce they had there for $330K it only got 12 MPG around town....damn gorgeous car!

2008 H2 Lux Series, Slate Blue, everything but the air suspension - sold

2006 H2 Lux Series, Uplevel Chrome, DVD's, Slate Blue, Sun Roof - sold

"If Life Gives You Limes, Make Margaritas" - Jimmy Buffett
Old 05-05-2007, 11:58 PM
Hummer Professional

johndjmix1 is off the scale

Really it depends on the area. Driving a H2 in somewhere like Long Island, NY is MUCH MUCH different from driving it in Colorado. In Long Island it never has a problem pulling 75-80 on the highway, in colorado its downshifting and fighting. In long island you get MUCH hight MPG than Colorado.

Altitude, mountains, hills, and winds (thats a big factor) really affect power and MPG.

My 05 F350 Diesel could only hit 75mph TOPED OUT (thats pedal to the floor) in Nebraska towing a 2 place enclosed snowmobile trailer....just because of the wind!

--John

1/4 Mile 15.29@91.34mph

Mods:
Magnusun Radix Supercharger!!!
Switch to allow full Nav Controls while moving
Warn 9.5 Winch
Old 05-07-2007, 04:05 AM
Elcova Newbie

Harley_Daze is on a distinguished road

interesting reading of everyones take on mpg,..the first thing that comes to my mind on fuel consumption is axle ratio,..has anyone went to a higher axle ratio?..seems the 6.0 engine should propel the Hummer adequately with a 3.73 or a 3.54..comments?..
Old 05-07-2007, 04:58 AM
Hummer Professional

lennyrebel is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBLWARMR
I just drive downhill boths ways to wherever I am going.
Personally I always keep the wind behind me --I find that a big plus and keep the air suspension raised in back so I"m also always going downhill. It's all good, Regards The Rebel. Sometimes the old timers have to show the kids how its done.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Hummer Professional

MVR 155 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_Daze
interesting reading of everyones take on mpg,..the first thing that comes to my mind on fuel consumption is axle ratio,..has anyone went to a higher axle ratio?..seems the 6.0 engine should propel the Hummer adequately with a 3.73 or a 3.54..comments?..

A taller gear (lower numeric) axle ratio would most likely cause mileage to suffer around town and possibly pick up a bit on the highway, towing mileage would suffer the worst, a taller gear would make the vehicle work harder till it achieved a given speed. At highway speeds in windy conditions you may also get worse mileage.

Great exaple of this is we just traded a 05 Eddie Bauer explorer in for the H2 last week, it was a V6 with 3.55 gears, got 15ish around town and 18-19 on the highway if you kept it under 75, towing a trailer netted us down in the 12-13mpg range and if you broke 80mph count on it going down in the low 17's high 16's....... My father owned basically the same truck with 4.10's and it got way better mileage than ours with the 3.55's around town and on the road, he even got better mileage towing a 8x13 enclosed motorcycle trailer than I did towing a 2 place jet ski trailer with ours. Point is once you reach a certain point going to a taller gear can hurt your overall performance and economy.... this could also be true with going to low for gearing. I believe that the 4.10's in the H2 are right at home and most likely deliver the best overall performance and economy

SOLD 2006 H2 SUV Luxury: Pewter ext/Black int.

2002 Corvette Z06 Blue/Ebony (light mods)
1/4 mile: 11.661@118.86

2013 Audi S4

2002 Yamaha YZF R1 Blue/White
1/4 mile: 10.51@136

2006 Sea-Doo RXP (70.6mph GPS)
2005 Sea-Doo RXT
Old 08-21-2007, 03:49 PM
Hummer Professional

Captain of the Titanic is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Mr. Bandit....

Sure I believe you're getting 15 MPG. After all, we all do.

Sure I believe your wife weighs 105 with 38DD tits. After all, all our wives do.

Sure we believe that you pecker's 12 inches. After all, all of ours are.

Sure Santa comes at Christmas. He always has...

15 MPG? BULL****. A H2 doesn't average 15 MPG unless you tow it 1/3 of the way...

Damn... Be realistic. If you said 12, I'd of said BRAVO! You are really working it. But 15? Nope. Not unless your city driving is going 55 with no lights...

2006 Twilight Maroon H2, Procomp 6001 rims, 35" X 12.5 X 17 Xterrain tires, Ram over-the-hood brush guard, Jet Stage I, Warn 9.5 winch and winch bumper, Hedman Headers, K&N Air charger, Lightforce driving lights, a little CHROME for good measure

2006 Victory Red H3 (The Titanic), R.I.P. - It didn't float

1968 Mustang GT convertible

2005 Harley Davidson Hertitage Softail, Stage I, Vance and Hines Big Shot Longs - Sold

2004 Jaguar S-Type (the wifemobile)

Last edited by Captain of the Titanic : 08-21-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

I GET 11 MPG and the way i drive a'm lucky to get that .these H2's are gas hogs and every last person who owns one knew it B4 they bought it. if you have a sharp tune and a fresh air filter you may get 12 to 15 is you drive like a little old ladey .ther is no magic secret trick or device to make a 6400 lb 6.0 V8 all wheel drive truck that is shaped like a brick get 17 mpg now, maybe in the future but not now so just grab your balls and wallet fill up twice a week and stop obsessing about it and enjoy the ride .
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Hummer Professional

HUM GOOD has a little shameless behaviour in the past

^^^^^what he said
Old 08-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp
Something to consider:

Bottled water cost more than gas and which do you think is easier to obtain?

Bottled water averages about $1 for a small bottle and that equates to about $8 per gallon. Go figure...

I've been getting 37 mpg by running on bottled water. Then my H2 learned that Aquafina was really tap water and now it won't run at all (go figure ).

Seriously, this is an issue I have discussed at length many times with Mike Sabarrese (Cerritos Hummer Service Manager and H1 Racer for Hummer). He keeps returning to the notion that the engineers at Hummer or GM already designed and tuned your beast to get the best posssible mileage you can. You can spend a fortune on upgrades which claim improvement, but the only 3 things that will really help are driving like a little old lady or converting to the Duramax Diesel engine (ca. $40,000) or leaving her parked. So enjoy your Hummer, just the way she is.

Last edited by tower : 08-22-2007 at 01:15 AM.