H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-20-2010, 03:22 AM
Elcova Rookie

pjtem is on a distinguished road
Smile Single remote reservoir or piggyback front shock?

Hi All,
I?m new to the forum, been lurking and reading for a while, but still new. Have had trucks, jeeps, quads for ever, finally got my dream of owning a new H2 in 08. Still want a H1?, well someday?

Well anyway, here is my question. Does anyone run single remote reservoir or piggyback shocks up front (Fox, Rancho, Blistein, Superlift SSR ect.., with a 6 inch lift? I have seen the duel set ups and ones for stock and up too 4 inches, but nothing for a 6 inch lift front shock.

I currently have a 08 with a 6 inch BDS lift, with 38? Toyo MT?s. I am running the BDS 9500?s now, but really wanted a reservoir shock option. Just wanted to see if anyone was running a single reservoir, front shock and if so, what kind?

Thanks and enjoy reading the forum,

Take Care,
pjtem
Old 06-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

EuroHummer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Single remote reservoir or piggyback front shock?

I have been looking as well....I have a Fabtech 6" lift on my 03. I have looked at the Fabtech setup, Cognito set up, Fox shocks, Bilsteins, and on and on....and I guess it just depends on how much you want to spend.

I read the 06 and later upper arms are weaker and need to be replaced. Here is a set up that looks pretty stout-

http://www.teakatoys.com/Hummer_H2_P...fts51010bk.htm

Or, you can go with Cognito who has nice upper A arms for dual shocks, and the hoops and shocks for sale...

I think after much research and debate, I go with the kit above with Fabtech dirt logic 2.0 resivoir shocks. There are tons of options, and Fox shocks can get really expensive for the sexy ones.

I have decided to stick with Fabtech, except for my tie rods, which I am going with supersteer HD tie rods.

2003 H2, 408 CI, K1 Forged 4" stroke crank, K1 6.125" forged rods, Wiseco X-Series 0.30 forged pistons, Schneider cam, FAST 102mm LSXRT, precision flow injectors, Comp Pro Magnum rockers, SA Gear DR timing set, ARP main studs, 90mm ETC TB, Airaid MIT, MSD Coils/wires, Dynatech Headers/high flow cats, Magnaflow, Jessie James Black Widows 20x9, Nitto Dune Grapplers 37", Fabtech 6" lift, CK Performance XHD 4l70e and 4.56 Gears
Old 06-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Hummer Professional

charles06 is on a distinguished road

I have the Fabtech Dirt Logic 2.25 non-reservoir shocks, and they are great. Service manager says it's the best riding, lifted H2 he's driven.

My truck is a 2005 SUT, lifted with a 6" Fabtech kit (tweeked for a couple extra inches), riding on 38 Toyo's, 20" inch wheels. I also have all of the Cognito steering components, as well as their upper control arms with uniballs.

Hope this helps.

Charles
White 2005 SUT, Lifted 7.5" via Fabtech/custom work, Fabtech Dirt Logic 2.25 shocks, 40x15.5x22 Toyo's, black 22" Fuel wheels, 4.88 gears, Dynatech long tube headers, Magnaflow exhaust, Air-raid intake, Superchips programmer, Edlebrock panhard bar, Cognito UCA's, Kryptonite tie rods, Cognito pitman/idlar arm gussets, Hotchkis swaybars and trailing arms, Amp Research steps, E&G fender flares, PIAA SMR's, smoked roof lights (bulbs removed), black suede headliner, 13" JL's under seat
Old 06-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Elcova Rookie

Thanks Guys,

Yea, The Dirt Logic’s are awesome, that was my original first choice. I can get the rear ones no problem, same as the Fox and the new Rancho 9000 reservoirs. But for the front the only options I can find are for a duel set up. The Superlift SSR (Blistein’s) are available for a 2001 – 2005. I thought a 08 had the same shock setup, but could be wrong.

I have matched up the compression distance, extended length, and total travel distance, upper and lower mounting codes. There is about a million combinations out there

I know I saw a picture somewhere on this site, of someone running a single reservoir up front, but could be wrong. Blistein was supposed to come out with a 5160 reservoir that would work, but haven’t seen anything yet. Oh well, I guess my best bet would to go with a duel set-up. Have to wait till it cools down here, way too hot…

Thanks again!
Old 06-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

Cesardajr is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Single remote reservoir or piggyback front shock?

2.5's foxes on stock leveled H2

37x12.50xR17 BFG Mud Terrain's
Ready Lift Front Leveling Kit 2 1/2"
Cognito Steering Support Kit
Cognito Idler Pivot Kit
Fabtech Steering Stabilizer
Fabtech Tie Rods
Power Slot Slotted Rotors
Crown Performance Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Off Road Unlimited Black Diff Cover & RP Diff Fluid
Hypertech Power Programmer
True Flow Foam Air Filter
Old 06-24-2010, 05:56 AM
Hummer Professional

If you get the non-reservoir Dirt Logic's, which as stated above is what I use, you'll be fine. I had Bilstein remote reservoirs on a rock-crawler 4Runner that I built, and while they were neat, cool, etc, there's really no advantage unless you are running at high speeds over some serious bumps. I bought them because I thought they'd be more beneficial, and because I could "charge" them to a specific firmness. What I found is that I had them built to the specifications of my truck, and never touched them again. The Dirt Logic's are pre-valved for our truck's weight, so they're ready to go when you bolt them on, and this saves you from messing with them. Unless you're doing some detailed testing, you'll never notice a difference of 10, 20, 30 psi in the reservoir.

And by the way, I purchased my H2 used with some of the suspension stuff on it. One of those being the Fabtech dual-shock hoops. Completely worthless. I took the shocks off, and couldn't believe how easily they compressed. The struts on my tonneau cover are more firm.

There's a lot of debate over double and triple shock set-ups. For any street truck, and most off-road applications, a single, properly valved shock is fine. Consider the new Ford Raptor: single shock, properly valved (yes, I know it has a reservoir), and you can beat the piss out of that thing. In addition, on many show trucks running multiple shocks, only one is a functioning shock. The others are gutted.

So to sum up, if you absolutely need a reservoir and can find one that fits, go for it. Just make sure you find someone who can charge it and knows what psi to put in. If not, you won't miss it.....trust me.

Sorry to be so lengthy.

Charles
White 2005 SUT, Lifted 7.5" via Fabtech/custom work, Fabtech Dirt Logic 2.25 shocks, 40x15.5x22 Toyo's, black 22" Fuel wheels, 4.88 gears, Dynatech long tube headers, Magnaflow exhaust, Air-raid intake, Superchips programmer, Edlebrock panhard bar, Cognito UCA's, Kryptonite tie rods, Cognito pitman/idlar arm gussets, Hotchkis swaybars and trailing arms, Amp Research steps, E&G fender flares, PIAA SMR's, smoked roof lights (bulbs removed), black suede headliner, 13" JL's under seat
Old 06-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Elcova Rookie

Thanks all, great Info?

Hey Charles,
Do you happen to know the part numbers? If so, are they FTS81017 for the front & FTS81021 for the rear? Do you happen to have any pictures of them installed?
Thanks,

Phillip
Old 06-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Hummer Professional

I'm just about positive that those are the correct part numbers. Strangely, I can't find the receipt for mine. I keep receipts for everything for my cars.

As for pics, I posted some in the pictures section under "Pics of My SUT". There's only a pic of the fronts though. If you want some more, let me know.

Charles
Old 06-25-2010, 03:30 AM
Elcova Rookie

Hey Charles,
The 2.25's look great, from what I have read they are great shocks. Still like the Fox's, but can only find them for a stock setup, unless I get them built. Still doing some research, thanks for the advice and help.

Did you ever get the PIAA 510's? Just saw your post. I have them installed in place of my DRL, well I I have them run as fog lights with a switch installed. Still dont see the purpose of DRL's, If you cant see me coming, oh well... , just kidding, but anyway they were a simple add and would look awlsome on your truck with the black and white covers installed. I you didnt get them yet, let me know and I'll take a couple of pictures.

Thanks,
Phillip
Old 06-25-2010, 04:36 AM
Hummer Professional

I did not get them, yet. But they are in my future. Do the fogs make a difference?