H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

View Poll Results: I started a thread a while ago on a topic I called "Rear Squat." The wheel well "gap" (measurement
My H2's measurement at the wheel well is the same front and back 1 10.00%
I have squat too 1 10.00%
My rear measurement is higher than the front 6 60.00%
This is normal for air suspension H2's 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2004, 02:22 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

I started a thread a while ago on a topic I called "Rear Squat." The wheel well "gap" (measurement from the top of my tires to the arch of the fender) is greater in the front than in the rear. The rears measure 7.75 inches and the front almost 9 inches. Unlike the Suburban or the Tahoe that has a "rakish" look, my H2 looks like it's squatting (Like a freaking low rider!).

The dealership upgraded the air suspension control box but the damn thing still looks wrong (to me). I thought I'd take a poll to determine whether this is normal. If not, at least this poll will give me greater leverage at the dealership to argue my point.

I have a 2003 H2 with air suspension. Also, the dealer strongly recommended that I not adjust the torsion bar as it will mess up the new control module. He also said that the upgraded aire suspension control modules cannot be manually manipulated to make the front or rear lower or higher. Whatever~!
Attached Images

2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

I started a thread a while ago on a topic I called "Rear Squat." The wheel well "gap" (measurement from the top of my tires to the arch of the fender) is greater in the front than in the rear. The rears measure 7.75 inches and the front almost 9 inches. Unlike the Suburban or the Tahoe that has a "rakish" look, my H2 looks like it's squatting (Like a freaking low rider!).

The dealership upgraded the air suspension control box but the damn thing still looks wrong (to me). I thought I'd take a poll to determine whether this is normal. If not, at least this poll will give me greater leverage at the dealership to argue my point.

I have a 2003 H2 with air suspension. Also, the dealer strongly recommended that I not adjust the torsion bar as it will mess up the new control module. He also said that the upgraded aire suspension control modules cannot be manually manipulated to make the front or rear lower or higher. Whatever~!
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

Old 09-27-2004, 03:05 AM
Hummer Expert

Beastmaster is off the scale

Here's the way the service manual recommends you measure "squat".

http://24.248.84.139:9001/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=796914&pubid=293&cellId=59083& appYear=2003&appMake=HUMMER&appModel=H2#ss1-796914

Hope this helps,
Steve
Old 09-27-2004, 03:21 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

Steve,

That is very helpful. I will (or I'll have the dealer) check my Z height adjustment. Here's a pic of an H2 from an official GM/H2 web site. The thing looks like it's squatting also!
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2004, 09:07 PM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

Dealer adjusted my front torsion bars (under warranty) and I am now a happy camper. Car has a rakish look that I like. I did have to do an allignment.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

Big Jag is an unknown quantity at this point

My 05 does not have air suspension. I always thought it had a rakish look and I was right. Rear wheel distance is 8 7/8" and front wheel is 8 5/8".
Old 01-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Kacyk, so what were your final measurements after all the work? I measured mine and mine's 1.5" lower on the right and 2" lower on the left (compared to the front). I can definately tell the vehicle is lower on the left. I've talked to the local dealer about it and he said that it's supposed to be like that, just so long as the roof line is a little higher in the back... My front end has a 9" measurement from tire to bottom of opening (or 42" from the floor). I know that someone had mentioned resetting the air suspension to level it out...any instructions on how to do that? Lastly, any idea on how to measure the z angles? Thanks.

'03 H2
Old 01-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

I measured it from the top of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel well (fender arch). It was 9 inches in the back and 8.5 in the front. All they did was adjust the Z height adjustment. I think there is a link here that describes how you can do it yourself. You'll need a allignment afterward. I likethe rakish look better than the large gap up front that many H2's have.

BTW - the service manager told me that this is most common in models with the air ride.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:02 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Are those measurements with the vehicle turned on (auto leveling)? or with it just sitting there. My issue would be that the front measurement is at 9" right now, and the rear ones much lower. I would hate to have to crank down the front to 7" or something. I'm at work, so don't have the exact measurements at this time.

'03 H2
Old 01-04-2005, 04:45 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

A 2" variance is material in my mind. However, it all depends on the look or function you want. I guess if you're an avid rock climber, extra clearnce in the front helps, but I'm not 1 or 2 inches makes a huge difference. In my case, I just preferred the rakish look.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:21 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

I'm measured just like Kacyk did top of tire to fender well. I got 7 1/8" in rear and 8 1/2" in the front, both on driver side.
I tried that link but it keeps giving an error.
So kacyk if i understand correctly i should go to dealer and get him to check z height and adjust torsion bar to get front lower than back. How much of a difference is one to try and get in front versus in back.
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 01-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

They'll try to tell you that if they even out the back and front your side steps will be angled so that the front of the side step is lower. This is true. So I can only assume the truck was designed to have a little squat.

I just kept insisting that the measurement needs to be equal all around so they adjusted the torsion bar up front and brought the front lower to equal the back. After this was completed, the truck had a slight rakish look (which I prefer) because the side steps were no longer prallel to the ground but slightly angled to the front.

They did it under warranty.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

FOR THE RECORD, YOU CAN (TO AN EXTENT) ADJUST YOUR REAR SUSPENSION HEIGHT WITH AIR SUSPENSION. THE DEALER NEEDS TO CALIBRATE THE TRIM HEIGHT. IF YOU WANT IT TO BE HIGHER THAN WHERE THE FACTORY PUTS IT, YOU JUST NEED TO TELL THEM, AND THEY CAN MAKE SLIGHT ADJUSTMENTS WHEN THEY SET IT. ALSO, THE TRUCKS ARE DESIGNED TO SIT LEVEL, NOT A SQUAT OR RAKISH LOOK. IF YOU MEASURE FROM THE GROUND TO THE TOP OF WHEEL WELL BY THE CENTER OF THE TIRE, YOU SHOULD GET A PRETTY CLOSE READING BETWEEN FRONT AND REAR. MAKE SURE YOUR WHEELS ARE STRAIGHT WHEN YOU MEASURE, THAT WILL THROW IT OFF. IF YOU'RE WITHIN AN INCH, THAT IS CONSIDERED CLOSE.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Hummer Authority

Hummertech
I guess that means My measurement from ground to fender well is 42 1/2" in front and 41 1/2" in rear is within the tolerance?
So I guess dealer will not want to do anything. I would like for it to be level. I would like to raise back to equal front. Is that possible or can air bags not be adjust that much. If i raise back will it mess ride up? What do You suggest I do if anything at all. I would not mind lowering front 1" if that would maintain ride. What do You suggest I do and what would I ask dealer to do if anything?
Thanks For Your Help!!!

TAZ (Rick)
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 01-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

TO CALIBRATE THE TRIM HEIGHT ON AN H2 WITH AIR SUSPENSION, THE TECH WILL HAVE TO DEFLATE THE
AIR SPRINGS, AND THEN BY USING JACKS OR A LIFT
RAISE THE REAR SUSPENSION TO A CERTAIN HEIGHT.
GM TELLS YOU TO MEASURE BETWEEN 2 POINTS BY THE BUMPER FOR THE REAR SUSPENSION, AND THEN USING OUR SCAN TOOLS, TO TELL THE COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRIM HEIGHT AT THIS SETTING. THE COMPUTER BASICALLY LOOKS AT THE HEIGHT SENSOR READINGS AND SAYS, OK THIS IS WHERE I WANT TO BE. IF YOU WANT YOUR REAR TO SIT A LITTLE HIGHER, OR LOWER, YOU CAN RAISE OR LOWER YOUR READING A LITTLE WHEN YOU CALIBRATE THE TRIM HEIGHT. IF YOUR DEALERSHIP HAS A CLUE, THEY COULD EASILY DO THIS FOR YOU, AND CHARGE WARRANTY SOMETHING LIKE ADJUSTING THE TORSION BARS TO CORRECT RIDE HEIGHT. THAT WAY THEY WOULD GET PAID, AND MAKE YOU HAPPY AT THE SAME TIME.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:18 AM
Hummer Authority

Thanks Hummertech I have a good relationship with the service dept. and ser. manager. In fact since I won best looking Hummer in AR. last fall I'm thier golden hair boy since My truck came from them and there were Hummers from as far as florida in it. Now that everyone has seen what I did they continously ask me have I got ideas to step it up they will coming after You since You embarrased some of them. It really is funny to see them taking it so serious. I tell them I'll be ready as I'm building and havng some built one off stuff that should keep Me ahead with the help of some buddies in My national Club. Yes there are some traitors amoung You who have this secret little show bling gene that have and are helping me with some of My ideas and are good at it. They could take thier off road skill or I should say that enthusiasm and do well in bling shows. I'm adding the magnacharger and You always get extra points for those big time. Mine will be polished and the engine comp. will be dressed up. it was not the last time. I will have chrome and blue going on under the hood. I know AAAccckkk!!!!
But really thanks Hummertech I need to get this adjust meant next time i go in.

TAZ
Old 01-14-2005, 05:07 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

Here's my new (to me) 2003 H2 with 17K miles and air ride. It squats as well with a 9" measurement in the rear and 8"s in the rear. Damn! Back to the dealer!
Attached Images