H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-20-2006, 03:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

mboard is off the scale
Exclamation Transmission options- supercharger

I have one of the first 2003 H2's and my transmission just failed. I have 60k miles and the tranny just lost D (drive) and 3. I have whipple supercharger and 38x15 tires and am wondering 1) have there been any changes in transmissions since June 2003 H2 release, 2) What transmission can I replace (if any) mine with to be a better match w/ supercharger, 3) Or is their a rebuilt kit to upgrade current transmission?

I also searched trheads and found mention of a 1 ton GM transmission, 4L80E. Can this replace and bolt up to the H2?

In the threads a company named Rossler Transmission in Ohio was mentioned as a company that can rebuild transmissions to handle supercharger. How has anyones experience been since having them uppgrade your tranny? It seems odd that I would ship a tranny all the way across the states to Ohio. Couldn't any shop do changes?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:39 AM
Hummer Professional

obzidian is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Transmission options- supercharger

if im not mistaken, your 03 has a 4l60e 4spd trans. Not a 4l80e.

There is a difference and basically, the 4l60e will not tolerate as much power or torque as the 4l80e. The 4l60e has been known, in the f-body/vette/goat, etc. side to give out under stock power, it is delicate and a bit fussy. The 4l80e, on the other hand, will hold upto 700lbs trq. stock. I have one right now built for my camaro, 408ci turbo, that will hold above 1000hp..

You said you lost 3rd and 4th gear, plus lock-up right? Well, that is a common failure in the 4l60e and its your 3-4 clutch pack. Not enough line pressure or oil, heat, friction, and strong hard wot-type of shifts into 4th are all contributing factors to a failure with teh 3-4 clutch pack.

Now, good news is that you can rebuild it stronger than stock and it should hold, SHOULD. ME, i would go with a 4l80e. The only downside is that you will have to search for misc. parts to complete the install. The bolt pattern whould bolt right up, however, you might need to modify your crossmember, maybe not. TCI has a computer controller for the 80e that controls the shifts, line pressure, TClock-up, etc. of the 80e so that is easily taken care of. A different driveshaft yoke or driveshaft might be needed.

I know it sounds like alot but inreality, these trucks are massive and i has a bit surprised that they didn;t come with a 80e. NO big deal, really, for hte stock power... but as you can see, its a possibility, though it could be avoided.

rossler builds some great trans. Also, try FLT, finish line performance, they have a 4l80e that should be what you need. they have one, parish, that holds over 1000rwhp with a 408ci t88 silverado.

good luck, i'll see if i can find more info on the swap or the 80e. I know im VERY new here, this being my first post!!! BUT, i have been dealing with these trans for over 5 yrs now, reduild three 4l60e's and now on my first 4l80e.. the 80e will hold, just got to get to fit which isn;t a problem at all really..

good luck!!
Old 08-21-2006, 08:34 AM
Hummer Expert

MDimitri is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Transmission options- supercharger

Have a look at this site and it will provide you with further information on the 4L65E(450HP), 4L80E(1000HP) and 4L85E(1200HP) (maximum high perf or race settings).

http://www.e700r4.com/

Quote from site "#LS1-700. Crankshaft spacer to install an early type 4L60E transmission or 4L80E on a LS1 type motor. Six longer flywheel bolts included. The LS1 flywheel is reused. The flywheel goes on first then the spacer. The torque converter bolt holes in your flywheel must be elongated to fit your non-LS1 torque converter bolt circle. Cost $85.00

#10C. Crossmember for the 4L60E to 4L80E transmission conversion, 2000 up Tahoe and some others. This custom made crossmember moves the transmission mount to the correct position for the 4WD Tahoe 4L60E to 4L80E conversion. Works with the #3XX deep cast aluminum pan that holds 3 3/4 extra quarts of fluid. Cost $310.00. On some trucks the crossmember will slide to the rear. This price includes a $140.00 core charge, return your old crossmember in good undamaged condition for a refund.

#10C2. Crossmember for the 4L60E to 4L80E transmission conversion, 2000 up Tahoe and some others. This custom made crossmember moves the transmission mount to the correct position for the 4WD Tahoe 4L60E to 4L80E conversion. Must be used with a late model type pan. Cost $285.00. On some trucks the crossmember will slide to the rear. This price includes a $140.00 core charge, return your old crossmember in good undamaged condition for a refund.

#10T. You get the 4L80E to Tahoe 4L60E transfer case adapter, custom made 4L80E to 4L60E transfer case output shaft, 4L60E to 4L80E wiring adapters, LS1 motor to 4L80E crankshaft spacer and a #10C custom built 4L80E crossmember that moves the transmission mount to the correct position. You saw it here first. Even the best built 4L60E transmission in a heavy 4WD supercharged Tahoe wont last long, a built 4L80E transmission is twice as strong as a built 4L60E transmission. Cost $1074.00 Nicely priced also with all things considered!!

Last edited by MDimitri : 08-21-2006 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

mboard is off the scale

Dimitri,
Thanks for your assistance. I took the information to my dealer and he likes the idea. However his only concern is programming the computer with the 4L80E installed with Whipple. The company you referred to in posting did not have information on programming this set up. I will let you know what the tech says when he has more time to look into this. Any ideas?
Old 08-22-2006, 07:13 AM
Hummer Expert

MDimitri is an unknown quantity at this point

Try going to this site: http://www.tunercat.com/tnr_desc/do_tc.html, see if they can recommend a ecm or eprom upgrade. Another avenue for your technician to have a look at is at http://www.hptuners.com/ or try doing a BIN search request at this site: http://www.horist.com/hptuner/ What your going to need is a Supercharged Vortec cal for a whipple with 4L80E tranny. A really good technical site you should have a look at is http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/ when you go here you will need to register in order to take advantage of ther forum. Good luck.

No I'm not a H2 Tech....but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!!

Last edited by MDimitri : 08-22-2006 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Hummer Professional

obzidian is on a distinguished road

the TCI trans controller is well designed at dealing with the 60e/65e/80e setups. You adjust EVERY parameter to make your setup perform right. TCC lock-up, line pressure, shift points, shift time delay, etc. it can get the job done and doesn't need to pigback the stock pcm, just runs the trans and that is it.

http://www.tciauto.com/electronics/index.htm

Ls1tech is a nice site, im usually there, i have a f-body and a cts-v, before trading her in for the H2.

Those trans will hold fine. I like this company, i have seen there trans hold up to a whole lot of abuse through the silverado i mentioned...

http://www.finishlinetrans.com/index.htm

this is there site, i would call and ask for chuck, really nice guy and should help you out with what you need. They can do the vacum mod if you wish, helps out with the feel of the trans...

good luck!!