H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 12-15-2005, 10:44 PM

SWPA Snowboarder is off the scale

Hi, im an attorney in Pittsburgh, often drive to snowboard at our local resorts, and interviewed for a job in Erie yesterday. Im looking for something GREAT in the snow, but decent on gas. My search has kinda come down to a fews year old AWD BMW 3 series or a Hummer H3. I've read your previous dicussions on snow/ice, can anyone add anything? Will I be dissappointed with the H3, or is it the tank Im seeking (I realize driving skill and tires play a role..I had hoped to put 4 winter tires on it)

THANKS
Old 12-15-2005, 10:44 PM

Hi, im an attorney in Pittsburgh, often drive to snowboard at our local resorts, and interviewed for a job in Erie yesterday. Im looking for something GREAT in the snow, but decent on gas. My search has kinda come down to a fews year old AWD BMW 3 series or a Hummer H3. I've read your previous dicussions on snow/ice, can anyone add anything? Will I be dissappointed with the H3, or is it the tank Im seeking (I realize driving skill and tires play a role..I had hoped to put 4 winter tires on it)

THANKS
Old 12-16-2005, 01:48 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

need the truth , well if you put the beamer in a snowbank its gonna look like a smashed beer can . you can just plow thru it with a hummer . like a very wise man on this forum says "imports are like tampons every pussy has one " now thats a great line
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 12-16-2005, 01:52 AM

Pukematrixx is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SWPA Snowboarder:

THANKS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just posted a pic of my rig in its first snow (we got 7 inches) and it eats the snow up. My buddy has a 3 series (RWD) and keeps getting stuck due to clearance issues. If you're serious about throwing the board in and hitting a mountain there's no question the H3 is for you. Plus if you get the lux the inside is pretty damned nice, and this is coming from a guy who's come off an audi a4, and saab 9-3.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:12 AM

Cool, thanks guys. Actually my price range maxes out around 30, so with the auto tranny I need, not too many addt'l options. BTW, what are the standard headlights like? are they halogen? IMO headlights are a big part of winter driving too. Any other comments appreciated, THANKS
Old 12-16-2005, 09:02 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Headlights could use a little boost, but they are not as bad as many other cars on the road. My '03 Vette had terrible lights until I switched to Silverstars. The H3s do not seem as bad, but I would like something a bit whiter.
(Of course the height of the H3 compared to a Vette might have something to do with the feeling that the H3 stock lighting is better.)
Old 12-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Hummer Novice

Frisco Ken is off the scale

The H3 is an excellent vehicle for the snow. I live in Summit county Colorado. We've had over 140" of snow so far this year and the H3 is excellent in deep snow and snow packed roads. I do have studded snowtires on my ride and that really helps up here. Leave the snowboard at home and ski the POW!
Old 12-16-2005, 02:08 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

I’ve found the H3 to be very stable and sure footed in snow. Unfortunately I have been driving through a lot of snow and ice the last few weeks. The H3 has great traction and the super tires for wintery conditions. However, the H3 is a very heavy rig and you need to give it room to stop. Of all the vehicles I have driven over the years in the snow, I have the most confidence in the Hummer. If you drive smart with it, it’ll get you through just about anything.