H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Convert AUX power outlets to ignition switched or RAP

Has anyone converted some/all of their AUX power outlets from always on to ignition switched? I want to convert one of my front console outlets and the rear cargo outlet to be switched. I know how to wire a relay and all to do this. But, what I'm not sure of is how to locate the proper wires.

According to the schematics below, I want to insert relays on the orange wires coming from the interior fuse block where I've drawn the red arrows. The problem is, I don't know where the split (labeled S212) is located. I assume it's behind the front-center console and not readily accessible up under the driver footwell. Any pointers on this?

Name:  cigar_lighter_auxiliary_outlets_schematics.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  135.7 KB
Old 07-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: Convert AUX power outlets to ignition switched or RAP

Simply put your relay behind the center I/P console. Constant source from the orange wire and run a wire from the Seo/Acc to get switched power for the ignition on switch. Then a wire back to the POS of the power outlet(s).

If memory serves, two are fed by one circuit and one by a separate one and then split there at the back of the Power Outlets.

You could take the fuse out of the separate one, and relay it there under the hood. Being sure to put an inline fuse.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Banned

Or you could do the same for the other two by removing the fuse in the I/P fuse panel and using 2 fuse taps to put a relay and inline fuse there. Using an inline fuse and relay with the trigger coming off the SEA ACC you would be "replacing" the existing fuse with this system and 2 of the front outlets would then be "switched."
Old 07-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
Simply put your relay behind the center I/P console.
Just wedge it in there? Don't you need to wire it or something?

Quote:
If memory serves, two are fed by one circuit and one by a separate one and then split there at the back of the Power Outlets.
How good is your memory? I take it your saying the split occurs right behind one of the two outlets in the dash, no?

I figured that if I pull the center panel and take a close look it'll all be self evident. But I was really hoping to hear that I could just reach up in the foot well to get access to the two wires-of-interest wires after the split.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree
Just wedge it in there? Don't you need to wire it or something?
Nope it's just plug-n-play

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree
How good is your memory? I take it your saying the split occurs right behind one of the two outlets in the dash, no?
Memory sucks...... bad! Yeah I think it comes out of a harness back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree
I figured that if I pull the center panel and take a close look it'll all be self evident. But I was really hoping to hear that I could just reach up in the foot well to get access to the two wires-of-interest wires after the split.
There is a little slack in them but I don't remember much of a way to get to them without pulling the center cover. Finding the wire in the main harness would be more of a PITA to me than just backing up the center console and taking off the center I/P panel.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Finding the wire in the main harness would be more of a PITA to me than just backing up the center console and taking off the center I/P panel.
Except for those damn tray clips. If it weren't for those, I'd agree completely.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree
The problem is, I don't know where the split (labeled S212) is located. I assume it's behind the front-center console and not readily accessible up under the driver footwell.

S212
In the I/P harness, at the left side of the I/P, approximately 29.5 cm (11 in) from the junction of the instrument cluster connector harness to the I/P harness
Old 07-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Hummer Authority

Hummie2, thanks. I'll get under there and see if I can find it based on your description. Otherwise, I guess I'll pull the center console.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Hummer Professional

Hummie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree
Hummie2, thanks. I'll get under there and see if I can find it based on YOUR description.

No, thats per the shop manual description. Since you posted the schematic for the circuit I will assume you have access to the manuals. If you do look under componet locater and it will give location of connectors, grounds, splices, etc. also gives pinouts on the connectors. If you don't have manuals look on E-Bay for a set of GM SI2000 set of CDs. They are well worth what you pay for them.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:58 AM
Hummer Authority

I do have an SI DVD (thanks f5stop). I just didn't search for the component location properly. After poking around some more I found it. Regardless, thanks for the direction.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Hummer Authority

FYI Paragon,
As you suggested, it looks like right behind the center I/P outlets might indeed be the best bet. The S212 splice is just too inaccessible.

In the diagram below #17 is where the I/P harness connects to the body harness for the power run for the rear AUX power outlet. Unfortunately, that harness connects on the right side of the front passenger wheel well. So I won't be sure if the harness it's easily accessible behind the center console until I open it all up. At the very least this will be the easiest place to relay one of the front outlets.

Alternatively, I might just try to switch the both front outlets and the rear with a relay right off of the 3040 wire right next to the I/P fuse box.

Now I just need to courage to start snipping.
Name:  ipharnessauxpower.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  102.1 KB
Old 07-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree
FYI Paragon,
As you suggested, it looks like right behind the center I/P outlets might indeed be the best bet. The S212 splice is just too inaccessible.

In the diagram below #17 is where the I/P harness connects to the body harness for the power run for the rear AUX power outlet. Unfortunately, that harness connects on the right side of the front passenger wheel well. So I won't be sure if the harness it's easily accessible behind the center console until I open it all up. At the very least this will be the easiest place to relay one of the front outlets.

Alternatively, I might just try to switch the both front outlets and the rear with a relay right off of the 3040 wire right next to the I/P fuse box.

Now I just need to courage to start snipping.
Attachment 24247
You can always wire it back together

I would do that. Not too many things are needed to be powered while the truck is off.

I haven't looked, but what about the 2 at the back of the center console? Are they on a seperate circuit? If so, then you would have the cigar lighter and those two that would still be perm power and the rear and 2 fronts on the RAP circuit.

I may go ahead and do this when I take mine back apart in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
I haven't looked, but what about the 2 at the back of the center console? Are they on a seperate circuit? If so, then you would have the cigar lighter and those two that would still be perm power and the rear and 2 fronts on the RAP circuit.
Yes, those two on the back of the center console are on a separate circuit. So if I ever truly need always on power, they'll be available, albeit in prime kicking location for rear search passengers.