H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 05-09-2005, 01:13 PM

H2Pilot is off the scale

I have seen other posts on here concerning transmission /shifting /power problems, but the newest ones are from 2003 So I'm gonna start something new.

Prob 1: Last week we had the 30k mile service done and afterward the speedo started getting stuck. I pulled the fuse and replaced it and it works OK now but not perfectly. It kind of ticks down now like the second hand on a writswatch. ==REPLACING INSTRUMENT CLUSTER==

Prob 2: Three days after service we drove from Los Alamos, NM to the Grand Canyon. Great trip except the tranny started acting up and seemed to disengage or slip and allow the engine to revup quickly to 5k-6k rpm. Also, when I was going about 70MPH, it seemed that the RPMS were a bit high and I thought maybe it wasn't going into 4th gear or overdrive. So I tried moving the shifter into 3 to see if I was right and there was absolutely no change in the RPM -- stuck in 3rd gear with 300 miles left of driving!

I live up on a mountain, and on the way home it was slipping so bad that I thought I wouldn't make it up the mountain. ==GOING TO DEALERSHIP TOMORROW==

The reason I am posting this is to see if anyone here thinks these two problems might be related (all electrical /computer problems) and to get a little insight before I get to the dealer in the morning.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 05-09-2005, 01:13 PM

H2Pilot is off the scale

I have seen other posts on here concerning transmission /shifting /power problems, but the newest ones are from 2003 So I'm gonna start something new.

Prob 1: Last week we had the 30k mile service done and afterward the speedo started getting stuck. I pulled the fuse and replaced it and it works OK now but not perfectly. It kind of ticks down now like the second hand on a writswatch. ==REPLACING INSTRUMENT CLUSTER==

Prob 2: Three days after service we drove from Los Alamos, NM to the Grand Canyon. Great trip except the tranny started acting up and seemed to disengage or slip and allow the engine to revup quickly to 5k-6k rpm. Also, when I was going about 70MPH, it seemed that the RPMS were a bit high and I thought maybe it wasn't going into 4th gear or overdrive. So I tried moving the shifter into 3 to see if I was right and there was absolutely no change in the RPM -- stuck in 3rd gear with 300 miles left of driving!

I live up on a mountain, and on the way home it was slipping so bad that I thought I wouldn't make it up the mountain. ==GOING TO DEALERSHIP TOMORROW==

The reason I am posting this is to see if anyone here thinks these two problems might be related (all electrical /computer problems) and to get a little insight before I get to the dealer in the morning.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 05-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

HummerMan has been absent for awhile because he's had some tranny problems, too.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2005, 01:28 PM

H2Pilot is off the scale

NICE!! Self Portrait??

Old 05-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Hummer Novice

Xxtreme is off the scale

Also have an '03, with a few more miles than you. Encountered similar power problems. Also thought it might be a transmission problem, but when took it to dealer after a bit of probing, they found the catalytic converter to have been partially "blocked", which was causing misfire commands in the computer controller....or at least that is what they told me. They replaced the catalytic converter, and it seems to have solved the problem. Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:37 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

Well since it is not going into 4th, that kind of rules out many other things. Does it slip any in 3rd or 2nd? doesn't really matter. You almost definately have internal trans problems. Either a burnt 2-4 band or 3-4 clutch likely. Need to get to dealer.
Not related at all to speedometer problem.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:14 PM

H2Pilot is off the scale

Thanks Xxtrems and Hummertech. Going to the dealer first thing in the morning.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:46 PM

H2Pilot is off the scale

They are installing a new transmission. Should be done today. Turns out my original dealer, Pitre Hummer, rebuilt the transmission last year before I bought it. Did same thing to someone elses H2 also around the same time. Both of us brought it to Galles and Davis Hummer where they replaced the transmission.

Pitre is no longer a Hummer dealer- don't know why. But I like Galles and Davis better anyway.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

Denny Crane is off the scale

Our 03 is in the shop today for a blown tranny line INSIDE the radiator.

Same symptoms you mentioned, 43K on the clock and staring a big bill in the face. Possible Tranny replacement, engine flush, radiator replacement no telling what else.

Glad that extended warranty was purchased at deal time.

Denny