H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 11-26-2003, 02:03 AM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

Article on Slate.com I came across on the "immoral" H2 go-cart commercial. Give me a break.

Your Cheatin' Cart
The problem with Hummer's new ad.
By Seth Stevenson
Posted Monday, Nov. 24, 2003, at 9:24 AM PT

Spot: "Big Race" (You can view it here).

Product: The Hummer H2 sport utility vehicle.

Synopsis: A moody-looking tween enters a soapbox derby. The car he builds looks remarkably like a Hummer H2, except much smaller (it could fit in the H2's wheel well) and made of wood (instead of ballistic chromified Kevlar or whatever).

At the start line, the kid's unorthodox, cobbled-together car gets snickered at. When the race begins, the other kids—in sleek, low-to-ground soapbox racers—speed down the winding pavement. The Hummer kid—in his big-wheeled contraption—veers off-road, cuts straight across all the switchbacks, careens back onto the pavement at the last instant, and crosses the finish line first.

(In the 60-second version, we also learn that the kid got the wood for the car by dismantling a doghouse. With the dog still in it.)

Analysis: This is an incredibly well made ad. I hate it.

The music is the Who's "Happy Jack," which is sort of a brilliant choice. On one level, the song tugs at boomers who rocked out to it in the '60s. But there's an ancillary target: The tune's stripped-down, British Invasion sound would fit right in on the Rushmore soundtrack, giving it some resonance with a younger crowd. (Rushmore actually used a different Who song from the same album.)

For sheer entertainment value, this is a fantastic commercial. Visually arresting. Engrossing narrative. (And an unexpectedly wussy, un-Hummer-y art-house pedigree: It was directed by the guy who did Shine, and the ad's cinematographer worked on Amélie.) Plus, of course, the kick-ass Who song. My problem is with its underlying ethics.

1. The Hummer kid cheats. Yes, the company's Web site offers "thinking outside the box" justifications, pointing out that the race rules are just "First one down wins." But I don't buy it. He fails to stay on a clearly demarcated course. In my book, that's an automatic DQ. Anyway, the off-road driving didn't even look that treacherous—I bet the regular cars could have handled it, too, if their drivers were little cheating brats. Were I the other kids, I would have ripped the wheels off the soapbox Hummer and beat the cheater about the head with them.

2. He endangers other racers. His car is much bigger and heavier, with a higher center of gravity. At one point, only minimally in control of his vehicle, drunk on the overconfidence he draws from his outsized deathmobile, the Hummer kid hurtles across the road right as the rest of the pack is passing. He just barely misses crushing another kid's car, and possibly spine.

3. What about the poor dog? We see it left abandoned in its now-useless doghouse, peering sadly through gaping holes where the slats the kid stole used to be. Conclusion: The Hummer kid hoards earth's precious resources, sating his own vanity at the expense of less fortunate, voiceless members of society.

Of course, some will love the shameless Hummer kid and his take-no-prisoners, win-at-all-costs individualism. Not coincidentally, these are the sort of people who buy Hummers. It would make no sense for the company to aim this spot at folks craving a quiet, go-along-get-along image, because those people aren't buying 40-ton cars. The Hummer kid is a me-first kid, and the Hummer is without doubt a me-first vehicle.

But the company tries to have it both ways. By showing us that the kid has devised a novel race strategy, worked hard to build his ramshackle entry, and gotten ridiculed at the start line, Hummer tries to steal back a little respect and good will. The ad also lets the Hummer buyer spin his purchase as an act of clever outsiderism, recasting his inner bully as a scrappy underdog. It failed to convert me, but then I drive a 1992 Honda Accord.

As the kid crosses the finish line, the Who sings, "And they couldn't prevent Jack from feeling happy," and that's an appealing notion: No one can stop me from being happy, once I've got my Hummer. No one, I tell you! To my eyes, though, as the kid closes out his no doubt soon-to-be-disputed soapbox victory, he looks less happy than determined and grim.

Grade: B. Probably the most memorable car ad since Volkswagen's "Mr. Blue Sky" spot. Points off for moral bankruptcy.

Seth Stevenson is a frequent Slate contributor.

Article URL: http://slate.msn.com/id/2091577/
Old 11-26-2003, 02:03 AM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

Article on Slate.com I came across on the "immoral" H2 go-cart commercial. Give me a break.

Your Cheatin' Cart
The problem with Hummer's new ad.
By Seth Stevenson
Posted Monday, Nov. 24, 2003, at 9:24 AM PT

Spot: "Big Race" (You can view it here).

Product: The Hummer H2 sport utility vehicle.

Synopsis: A moody-looking tween enters a soapbox derby. The car he builds looks remarkably like a Hummer H2, except much smaller (it could fit in the H2's wheel well) and made of wood (instead of ballistic chromified Kevlar or whatever).

At the start line, the kid's unorthodox, cobbled-together car gets snickered at. When the race begins, the other kids—in sleek, low-to-ground soapbox racers—speed down the winding pavement. The Hummer kid—in his big-wheeled contraption—veers off-road, cuts straight across all the switchbacks, careens back onto the pavement at the last instant, and crosses the finish line first.

(In the 60-second version, we also learn that the kid got the wood for the car by dismantling a doghouse. With the dog still in it.)

Analysis: This is an incredibly well made ad. I hate it.

The music is the Who's "Happy Jack," which is sort of a brilliant choice. On one level, the song tugs at boomers who rocked out to it in the '60s. But there's an ancillary target: The tune's stripped-down, British Invasion sound would fit right in on the Rushmore soundtrack, giving it some resonance with a younger crowd. (Rushmore actually used a different Who song from the same album.)

For sheer entertainment value, this is a fantastic commercial. Visually arresting. Engrossing narrative. (And an unexpectedly wussy, un-Hummer-y art-house pedigree: It was directed by the guy who did Shine, and the ad's cinematographer worked on Amélie.) Plus, of course, the kick-ass Who song. My problem is with its underlying ethics.

1. The Hummer kid cheats. Yes, the company's Web site offers "thinking outside the box" justifications, pointing out that the race rules are just "First one down wins." But I don't buy it. He fails to stay on a clearly demarcated course. In my book, that's an automatic DQ. Anyway, the off-road driving didn't even look that treacherous—I bet the regular cars could have handled it, too, if their drivers were little cheating brats. Were I the other kids, I would have ripped the wheels off the soapbox Hummer and beat the cheater about the head with them.

2. He endangers other racers. His car is much bigger and heavier, with a higher center of gravity. At one point, only minimally in control of his vehicle, drunk on the overconfidence he draws from his outsized deathmobile, the Hummer kid hurtles across the road right as the rest of the pack is passing. He just barely misses crushing another kid's car, and possibly spine.

3. What about the poor dog? We see it left abandoned in its now-useless doghouse, peering sadly through gaping holes where the slats the kid stole used to be. Conclusion: The Hummer kid hoards earth's precious resources, sating his own vanity at the expense of less fortunate, voiceless members of society.

Of course, some will love the shameless Hummer kid and his take-no-prisoners, win-at-all-costs individualism. Not coincidentally, these are the sort of people who buy Hummers. It would make no sense for the company to aim this spot at folks craving a quiet, go-along-get-along image, because those people aren't buying 40-ton cars. The Hummer kid is a me-first kid, and the Hummer is without doubt a me-first vehicle.

But the company tries to have it both ways. By showing us that the kid has devised a novel race strategy, worked hard to build his ramshackle entry, and gotten ridiculed at the start line, Hummer tries to steal back a little respect and good will. The ad also lets the Hummer buyer spin his purchase as an act of clever outsiderism, recasting his inner bully as a scrappy underdog. It failed to convert me, but then I drive a 1992 Honda Accord.

As the kid crosses the finish line, the Who sings, "And they couldn't prevent Jack from feeling happy," and that's an appealing notion: No one can stop me from being happy, once I've got my Hummer. No one, I tell you! To my eyes, though, as the kid closes out his no doubt soon-to-be-disputed soapbox victory, he looks less happy than determined and grim.

Grade: B. Probably the most memorable car ad since Volkswagen's "Mr. Blue Sky" spot. Points off for moral bankruptcy.

Seth Stevenson is a frequent Slate contributor.

Article URL: http://slate.msn.com/id/2091577/
Old 11-26-2003, 02:12 AM

alecs wife is off the scale

This guy should be shot and hung at sunrise!!! If he gets paid for that crap...were do I sign????

Good post.

Front Locker, Stealth winch, 37" Super Swampers SSR,low center of gravity = Ultimate H2
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This post and any pictures posted with it are the property of Adam in CO and/or his affiliates. The contents of this post are confidential and may contain information that is privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under all
Old 11-26-2003, 02:22 AM

noc is off the scale

That is what ads are for .. for you to remember them. He should also write that the Miller commercial with the 2 girls ripping their clothes off fighting is public indecency and should be hauled to jail. Girls shouldn't act this way... What a loser
Old 11-26-2003, 02:28 AM

Tom  S is off the scale

This has got to be the most funny review i have ever seen. Its a ad for god sakes. The only reason he is attacking it is because its a Hummer ad and the "cool" thing to do these days. Beat you that if it was from another auto manf. he would be raving about it. Some people these days..oh. My .2 Cents
Old 11-26-2003, 02:34 AM
Hummer Guru

Spike is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> "First one down wins." But I don't buy it. He fails to stay on a clearly demarcated course. In my book, that's an automatic DQ.... Seth Stevenson<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
What a jerk off

2003 Yellow H2, Lux Series, Air Suspension, Front Brush Guard, Rear Tail Lamp Guards, MC2 Chrome Billet Locking Fuel Door
Old 11-26-2003, 03:02 AM

H2BIG is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The ad also lets the Hummer buyer spin his purchase as an act of clever outsiderism, recasting his inner bully as a scrappy underdog. It failed to convert me, but then I drive a 1992 Honda Accord. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Seth Stevenson

GET A LIFE!

Brian
03 Pewter H2 Lux, Airaid filter/MIT, Corsa Touring
Old 11-26-2003, 03:20 AM
Hummer Veteran

JSA_3 is off the scale

I agree - - it's just an ad

I do though, sympathize with the "Jack", I was the cub scout who had to carve his own pinewood derby car w/no outside help, among the hoards of aerodynamic skillfully crafted cars, which I'm sure were produced soley by the 7yr olds racing them. Mine looked suspiciously like "Jack's" racer.

Hmmmmmm.....maybe that's why I drive a hummer today.....

I say its great marketing.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:21 AM

argonaut is off the scale

No Alec, Don't!!!!!!!! Anything but that... It's just a happy little kid winning a race, not irresponsible offraoding
Old 11-26-2003, 03:32 AM
Hummer Professional

HUMMERDOGG is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, Cubscouts... I was in there only long enough to enter the little rubberband airplane competition and the pinewood derby. Got first in the little rubberband airplane comp and second in the pinewood derby... Funny story about the pinewood derby though is that my dad owned a machine shop while I was growing up so for the pinewood derby he had some of his machinists "work" on it. I came in second...

My dad talked to the other kid's dad (the kid who beat me) and suprisingly, he was also a machinist...

-HUMMERDOGG

TROLL POACHER (I hunt trolls even if it ain't troll hunting season...)

TROLL TAXIDERMIST (For those of you who get to them before I can. I provide this service free of charge...)
Old 11-26-2003, 03:35 AM
Hummer Professional

HUMMERDOGG is an unknown quantity at this point

Zazing-

Can you contact Seth for me and have him do a thorough analysis and write a report of one of my stool samples for me since I seem to be having some type of digestive problems. It appears that Seth knows a thing or two about writing crap.

Thanks.

-HUMMERDOGG

TROLL POACHER (I hunt trolls even if it ain't troll hunting season...)

TROLL TAXIDERMIST (For those of you who get to them before I can. I provide this service free of charge...)

Old 11-26-2003, 05:01 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

I love that the kid builds his own rig and then tear sh*t up!!! Too bad it wasn't motorized so he could do some cookies on the hill, thus speeding up the erosion process and causing a massive landslide that races down the hill and wipes out the ophanage at the bottom of the hill, where the little orphans were playing with puppies and kittens.
How you like them apples, Alec?
Old 11-26-2003, 07:32 AM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Alec,

Have a big bag of SHUT THE F**K UP Doritos!
Ya right, let's re-live that episode.

My Video Collectionez

Old 11-26-2003, 07:56 AM
Hummer Expert

Orbital H2 is off the scale

liberals.... tree hugging liberals, lets not go there, you guy would accuse me of taking up too much disc space like to shoot them, but kinda need them for someone to pick on

H2 Black Lux, Air Suspension, AEM Intake, Flowmaster, soon to be blacked out...
Black 02 Fatboy
300ZX TT 500Hp, 10.5Sec completely Blacked out, Wolfe Sport 600 Turbo, Billet Aluminum FlyWheel, Carbon Claw RPS Turbo Clutch, Dual Pop Intake, HKS Intercoolers/Exhaust
Old 11-26-2003, 05:25 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is soooo hysterical. I love how we can all debate this ad to death. This writer is a fine example of too much time on one's hands, and too many brain cells being wasted. The best suggestion I got from the review was that it would have been even better if he did mow right over one of those other little punks. That would have been great. AGAIN IT'S JUST ENTERTAINMENT GUYS!
Alec come on, its a holiday weekend, and I'm sure you have time now that the video editing is done. Please share with us your moralistic analysis of the race again.
Why do people read so much into this. I mean what if the race was on private property? Don't people have the right to drive over their own grass if they want? Where do you draw the line? If you want to make a stand aginst this, then really all offroading is a violation of the earth as is the paving of the earth also. (Aggh? You see what you've done now you bloody bastard, you've got me talking like a pointy eared elf member!)In summary "The Race" is a fine narrative on the evolution of man, Jack having the evolved brain realizes that straight lines are a far better way to move from point to point than the regressive running about of the ape brained foes he conquers.In all I give it two thumbs up. Ha!
Old 11-26-2003, 05:59 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

I love that ad. Evertime it comes on I shout "Shhh!" Susan thinks I am stupid, but the commercial is funny. I want to be funny. I digress...
That review is nearly as cute as the ad. Oh happy Jack... or Seth...
Speaking of too much time on our hands and wasted brain cells, I think I will find something else to post.

Black Lingenfelter Lux
Old 11-26-2003, 06:01 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Being destructive is amazingly therapeutic! I had a hockey game last night and got very destructive. Today I'm happy.