H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-02-2006, 02:26 AM
Elcova Newbie

hammer head is on a distinguished road
Default toe in problem ? I need advice.

I went wheeling sat. We were climbing rocks and developed a toe end problem in the frontend. I have a fabtech 6 in. lift and tie rod ends. 40's
Old 06-02-2006, 02:38 AM
Hummer Professional

Motohead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: toe in problem ? I need advice.

toe end problem? did ya break a nail?
Old 06-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer head
I went wheeling sat. We were climbing rocks and developed a toe end problem in the frontend. I have a fabtech 6 in. lift and tie rod ends. 40's
Get it aligned. FWIW, we've bent several FT rods and a center link using the same setup as Phil.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer head
What was the problem?

Is it permanently toed-in? Or did someone notice it toeing in and go back. I second Ken's suggestion on getting an alignment.

H2s have a weak steering section that allows for flex in the steering. First to go was the stock tie rods. Most of us thought that the toe in was due mostly to the stock tie rods giving but after we got the HD tie rods, still noticed it, even on stock ride height and tires.

I know there is a lot of research being done right now to come up with a good solution that helps. If your stock centerlink is not already bent, I would suggest getting the Cognito steering stabilizers. They will not work with the FT steering stab without some minor alteration but they are the best, cheapest solution right now.

The final solution is going to be replacing the stock centerlink with a better designed one and utilizing the Cognitos in conjunction with that.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:40 AM
Elcova Newbie

THANKS FOR ALL THE GOOD ADVICE. I think that all were rite. I was advised not to go where we were but I,m learning where my limits are. the center link does not look bent but how can you tell if it is? Ive got a 3/4 tn chevy to compare but its not obvious. I,m trying to figure a way to weld gussets in the offset bends to give more support. I have seen pictures of some of your rigs with the same toe in look. Mabe the thing to do is stay out from behind H1,s .
Old 06-03-2006, 02:09 AM
Banned

I agree with Phil here. Once you put it up on an alignment machine and both tires are toed in, then probably a good chance the CL is bent a little, but it's hard to "eyeball."

The offsets create a problem, I think, in some instances but I don't think that's where the flex occurs most of the time. For the toe-in to happen as severely as it does, the CL has to rotate slightly and then bend in the center between the pitman and idler arms. So basically, in those pics that show the truck pigeon-toed, the ends of the pitman and idler arms are effectively closer together than normal. Once the pressure is relieved some, most of the time the CL "springs" back into it's normal position. This is probably also what creates all of the premature wear on the pitman and idlers that all GM HD pickups and H2s have.

The Cognito supports, that so far Marinehawk, Phil and I are the only ones that I know have on theirs, are supposed to correct the rotation that occurs and this in effect should reduce the CL flex some. If you are going to be wheeling again soon and can do some fabwork yourself, I would do the Cognitos for now.

http://www.trailduty.com/products/cognito/index.html
Old 06-04-2006, 03:12 AM
Elcova Newbie

I changed the pitman arm and the idler arm ,adjusted alignment by eye seems to have fixed the problem. When I looked at the center link it seemed to be rocked back and up toward the motor like the pitman joint was sprung or something so I felt better safe than sorry. I am going to order the pitman supports from cognito mabe they will help. I wonder if there is something wrong or out of align, when I put the suspension lift and tires I noticed at higway speeds my H2 was a little squirly , its like you have to pay close attention to the road. My tires ballanced out really well and ride fine. Friends say wide and big fallows dips in road. thats fine we can handle it but just checking if everyones the same?
Old 06-04-2006, 03:14 AM
Banned

big wide tires
Old 06-05-2006, 04:32 AM
Elcova Newbie

thought so thanks. took her out for good test drive feels good again.