H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

Those of you who deal with new H2's could you help me with the tire carrier issue. I'm looking to buy new 2005 or 2006 H2 (if I can hold myself off ). But I seriously would like to place the spare tire inside the cabin as it used to be. If I have understood the specs correctly H2's are delivered with factory spare tire carries these days. Do dealers do modifications such as relocating the the spare tire? Is it possible, what I mean that is there needed items to relocate the spare in the current offering or not? Is it a difficult manoeuver? If it is done, does it leave noticeable mark on the bumper or elsewhere?

Also if somebody would have a picture of a new 2005 H2 from the back, I would be extremely happy to see one.

Thanks!!!
Old 05-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

Those of you who deal with new H2's could you help me with the tire carrier issue. I'm looking to buy new 2005 or 2006 H2 (if I can hold myself off ). But I seriously would like to place the spare tire inside the cabin as it used to be. If I have understood the specs correctly H2's are delivered with factory spare tire carries these days. Do dealers do modifications such as relocating the the spare tire? Is it possible, what I mean that is there needed items to relocate the spare in the current offering or not? Is it a difficult manoeuver? If it is done, does it leave noticeable mark on the bumper or elsewhere?

Also if somebody would have a picture of a new 2005 H2 from the back, I would be extremely happy to see one.

Thanks!!!
Old 05-15-2005, 10:10 PM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

early 05 on down were stand with cabin tire carriers.I will post a picture for ya.You will need to relocat lic.plate and lamp.It can look all stock if you do it right!
Old 05-16-2005, 05:36 AM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

Thanks partsguy!

Looking forward seeing that pic! Do you have install specs for the relocating the lamp? How is the installation of the spare in the cabin, what needs to be done?

Which way does the wiring run to the tire carrier? Will the relocating leave holes to the back bumper?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2005, 08:08 AM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

Inside spare photo.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2005, 09:16 AM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

Support
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2005, 09:44 AM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tower:
Support </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks!!!

Did you have the tire carrier and you relocated the spare back inside in the cabin?

Is that support piece available to buy somewhere? And how is the installation back inside, is it difficult to do yourself, any drilling or so?

Thanks for your time!
Old 05-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W1N:
Which way does the wiring run to the tire carrier? Will the relocating leave holes to the back bumper?

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

W1N, I did the opposite to my early 05 and you can see some reference HERE

The license plate light runs thru the backside of the bumper to the right of the letter "R". If done properly with the corrcet tow hooks for the non-tire carrier configuration, your bumper will be left with 2 openings, one for the 3rd bolt holding the hinge-side of the factory carrier, and one for the license plate light wiring, both of them can be "plugged".
Old 05-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sclui56:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W1N:

W1N, I did the opposite to my early 05 and you can see some reference HERE

The license plate light runs thru the backside of the bumper to the right of the letter "R". If done properly with the corrcet tow hooks for the non-tire carrier configuration, your bumper will be left with 2 openings, one for the 3rd bolt holding the hinge-side of the factory carrier, and one for the license plate light wiring, both of them can be "plugged". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks a great deal!

I'm planning to get a new H2 though, and far as I know all H2's are equiped with a tire carrier these days. Somebody mentioned that the bumper is actually different than it used to when the spare was inside. Is this true? And if moving to tire inside, I would imagine that it is possible to get a new bunper with no holes in it. Right?
Old 05-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

No, the bumper is the same.You have to change tow hooks and get shorter bolts.No pictures yet The only difference is the power cord hole for the lic. plate.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by partsguy:
No, the bumper is the same.You have to change tow hooks and get shorter bolts.No pictures yet The only difference is the power cord hole for the lic. plate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

THANKS!!

That's great! So basically if I replace this piece (number 5 in the picture) from 2004. The will be no marks to see on the bumper (outside).

How about the work inseide the cabin. Any drilling or new parts needed there?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2005, 05:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

Replacing the plastic cover you noted will make the wireing harness opening disappear, however, you still have one hole visible to the right of the passenger-side tow hook as the factory tire carrier uses 3 mounting point for the hinge side. If you're not particularly picky, you can always reattach the Bumper Tow Hook Bolt Metric (M12x1.75x65) P/N 11589048 to cover it, but this 65mm bolt is NOT threaded all the way to the head, so you may not be able to drive it all the way flush (check with DAN as he used this method after removing his SUT carrier), in that case, just get the (M12x1.75x55) P/N 11518590 as the shorter bolt is threaded all the way.

FYI, partsguy said you need the standard hooks & shorter bolts, in reality, ALl early 05 SUV's without factory tire carriers had the 65mm bolts installed already, so you could resuse your existing bolts as there's NO stop inside the bumper to prevent this.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:22 PM

4churchill is off the scale

I have an inside carrier for the wheel left over form my '03...would love to dump it off for $40 plus shipping...let me know when youre ready

www.HUMMERNut.net
Old 05-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 4CHURCHILL:
I have an inside carrier for the wheel left over form my '03...would love to dump it off for $40 plus shipping...let me know when youre ready </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How is the installation to a 2005, any drilling or so or can I use some parts from 2004 so that installation will work without drilling?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2005, 07:44 PM

4churchill is off the scale

im pretty sure no drilling is needed, but you should check with partsguy....happy to help if you need anything else

www.HUMMERNut.net
Old 05-17-2005, 02:58 AM
Hummer Veteran

Xenowulf is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by partsguy:
No, the bumper is the same.You have to change tow hooks and get shorter bolts.No pictures yet The only difference is the power cord hole for the lic. plate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

THANKS!!

That's great! So basically if I replace this piece (number 5 in the picture) from 2004. The will be no marks to see on the bumper (outside).

How about the work inseide the cabin. Any drilling or new parts needed there?

Is there anywhere on the net I can pull up diagrams like this?
Old 05-17-2005, 04:16 AM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xenowulf:

Is there anywhere on the net I can pull up diagrams like this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try www.alldiscountparts.com
Old 05-17-2005, 05:08 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

I've done this swap before for people who don't want the tire on the outside. I also need to add that the rear bumpers are different from ones that have the carrier mounted factory and the ones that don't. What I would do is talk to a couple dealers. You should be able to have one that still has an H2 in stock that was before they did the spare tire change at the factory. Find the H2 you want, then ask them to change it over with the other one. Try to get them to do it straight up on cost, since they will be upgrading the other vehicle.
What it entails is swapping the rear bumpers, rear bumper covers, and the tire brackets. It takes a few hours. If you don't swap bumpers, you will have an extra bolt hole sitting there looking obvious, + the wiring coming through the cover. If you do it, do it right and swap bumpers so it looks good.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:33 AM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hummertech:
I've done this swap before for people who don't want the tire on the outside. I also need to add that the rear bumpers are different from ones that have the carrier mounted factory and the ones that don't. What I would do is talk to a couple dealers. You should be able to have one that still has an H2 in stock that was before they did the spare tire change at the factory. Find the H2 you want, then ask them to change it over with the other one. Try to get them to do it straight up on cost, since they will be upgrading the other vehicle.
What it entails is swapping the rear bumpers, rear bumper covers, and the tire brackets. It takes a few hours. If you don't swap bumpers, you will have an extra bolt hole sitting there looking obvious, + the wiring coming through the cover. If you do it, do it right and swap bumpers so it looks good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not the bumper so much worried about, it's installation of the spare back in the cabin and relocating the licence plate and the light.

I know the spare tire support is easy to get but are the installation holes inside the cabin in the same places as they used to be before the factory change?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2005, 03:55 AM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

Hummertech,

If W1N does the swap as you indicated, will he be able to keep the extra brake lights on the corner covers?