H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-05-2003, 04:51 PM

bmac is off the scale

Just curious. Has anyone removed the factory Bose stereo and installed a 3rd party unit? Was thinking of an in dash AV receiver with retractable LCD screen and DVD player (Alpine, Kenwood, etc.). Would it render the steering wheel controls useless? How about the rear seat controls? I've read some manufacturers have their own AV switcher for rear seat selections but don't know enough about electronics to know if these things are brand sensitive or if the Bose (?GM) rear seat controller could operate a different brand of stereo.

Living in a rather small town, we don't exactly have the type of customizers that the LA/Hollywood stars have at their disposal. Nor do I have their bank account. And keep in mind, I'm a middle-aged old fart who mainly listens to news-talk radio. However, I also have young kids who like movies while traveling. I wouldn't want to put a second rate system in a vehicle like the H2 but I don't want a gang banger, window-shattering, thump/thump, boom boom, low-rider, fluorescent light glowing, bling bling (is that what its called?) pimp mobile. Sorry if I've offended anyone who likes this sort of thing - its just not for me.

But I digress. Would an aftermarket unit like I described look cheesy in the H2 in lieu of the factory Bose stereo? Would anyone here let some place like Circuit City tear their baby apart for such an installation or would you only let a high-end installer tackle such a job? Granted the H2 is not a cheap vehicle but we are talking GM, American-made equipment and not a lambo, mazerratti or other more eccentric model. But i sure wouldn't some semi-trained bozo tearing into it and making irreversible changes only to find out that half of the other electronic gizmos and gadgets didn't work when they finished.

I guess I've covered everything. BTW, just returned the pewter H2 w/ Adventure pkg + leather demo this morning. Had the 24 hr test drive. Awesome vehicle. Now just need to decide if I get an '03 or wait for the '04.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 07-05-2003, 04:51 PM

bmac is off the scale

Just curious. Has anyone removed the factory Bose stereo and installed a 3rd party unit? Was thinking of an in dash AV receiver with retractable LCD screen and DVD player (Alpine, Kenwood, etc.). Would it render the steering wheel controls useless? How about the rear seat controls? I've read some manufacturers have their own AV switcher for rear seat selections but don't know enough about electronics to know if these things are brand sensitive or if the Bose (?GM) rear seat controller could operate a different brand of stereo.

Living in a rather small town, we don't exactly have the type of customizers that the LA/Hollywood stars have at their disposal. Nor do I have their bank account. And keep in mind, I'm a middle-aged old fart who mainly listens to news-talk radio. However, I also have young kids who like movies while traveling. I wouldn't want to put a second rate system in a vehicle like the H2 but I don't want a gang banger, window-shattering, thump/thump, boom boom, low-rider, fluorescent light glowing, bling bling (is that what its called?) pimp mobile. Sorry if I've offended anyone who likes this sort of thing - its just not for me.

But I digress. Would an aftermarket unit like I described look cheesy in the H2 in lieu of the factory Bose stereo? Would anyone here let some place like Circuit City tear their baby apart for such an installation or would you only let a high-end installer tackle such a job? Granted the H2 is not a cheap vehicle but we are talking GM, American-made equipment and not a lambo, mazerratti or other more eccentric model. But i sure wouldn't some semi-trained bozo tearing into it and making irreversible changes only to find out that half of the other electronic gizmos and gadgets didn't work when they finished.

I guess I've covered everything. BTW, just returned the pewter H2 w/ Adventure pkg + leather demo this morning. Had the 24 hr test drive. Awesome vehicle. Now just need to decide if I get an '03 or wait for the '04.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:01 PM

Zyx5432 is off the scale

While I may have went slightly overboard with mine, I do not have all the neon, etc. you mention.

Check out my thread in the picture post titled "My work in progress"

It has the flip out screen, screens in back with wireless headphones to keep the kids occupied and speakers in all the stock locations with a "looks like it belongs" theme.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:05 PM

Lil Devil is off the scale

I've also gutted mine and went totally custom. I know I have a thread here someplace with pictures. if you can't find it blast me an email and I will send you some pix.

----------------------------------------------------------
2002 Vette; Vortex Intake, Vortech S/C, Stage II heads, comp cam (220/220/114/.581), 3.90 gears, 14 inch cross drilled rotors, 170 stat, NGK TR6, B&M Ripper Shifter, Autometer Boost & Fuel pressure gauges on a-pillar, Hotchkis Sway Bars, HRE 543 wheels (F:265/35 R:295/35), Z06 titanium exhaust, RK LT headers, Magnaflow x-pipe, Programming by Morgan Motorsports, 5% tint, AA Frame & Rocker Savers, TB Bypass, Lowered 2", Custom Audio;570 RWHP Dyno Here

2003 H2; 37 inch tires, Manik Off-Road pkg., Airaid Intake, Custom Audio
Old 07-05-2003, 07:38 PM

bmac is off the scale

After seeing these setups, I'm beginning to understand that Circuit City may be in over their head with the H2. Interestingly, while I had the demo yesterday, I had to go to Circuit City for a few items. While i was their, I dropped by the auto section and was asking some questions. They came out to have a look and said the Alpine or Pioneer flip screen would be an easy install. Probabably $50-$100. Well, as is evident from these posts, there is alot more to it than these yahoos knew. I can guarantee they did not know that the programmable settings required the factory head unit being retained. Nor did they suggest that the steering wheel controls would be lost. Of course, I didn't either, but I'm not an audio technician either. I'd bet they wouldn't have a clue about the OnStar.

So, where to go from here? I guess step one is to buy the truck. Now that i know this can be done (and done quite well), I can wait to find a qualified installer. Will probably have to drive to Atlanta, but getting to drive an H2 is not such a bad thing and Atlanta is not that far away. Just that the traffic around here stinks.

For those of you with the Alpine head unit (Zyx5432 and Lil Devil), are you satisfied? Pioneer has a new model coming out (AVH-P7500DVD) that looks pretty nice. Anyone know about Pioneer products? Are they in the same league with Alpine? What would you put in the remaining space where the factory unit was? CD changer? As I mentioned, I know next to nothing about this stuff. However, thanks to you guys, I'll know enough to ask some tough questions to the potential installers when the time comes.

I appreciate the feedback.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:04 PM

Zyx5432 is off the scale

Both Alpine, Pioneer and Kenwood all have similar set-ups that are pretty comparable both price-wise and functionality.

I went with Alpine due to past experiences, and I liked the black unit over the grey. At the end of the day, however, I'm sure any of them work great.

I did retain the use of both Onstar and my steering wheel functions, just for an extra fee with an adapter.

They make dash kits that fill up the remaining space in the dash (see the pics of my install), or you can add any one of several other items. I do not know of any CD changers that would fit in that space, though.

Also, I believe there are a number of good installers around the Atlanta area, including the guys that did the Panasonic show car (an H2).
Old 07-06-2003, 01:11 AM

blg615 is off the scale

bmac, I know how you feel about selecting an installer. I've been to several shops asking about a new amp and sub, and maybe dvd/headrest monitor setup. Most have said "no problem, blah,blah,blah" BUT when I've asked if they actually done a H2 yet, they want to tell me about some super job they did in a Supra, or Honda Civic, etc.
Then they say "well we can figure it out" or "I think its the same as the Escalade"
I know you're safe with most installers in the big cities, but get a few H2 references and call them.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:49 PM

Kevin W is off the scale

Hey guys,

Just my two bits.....I am having my a/v stuff installed tomorrow, and the custom installer here in Philly has done a few H2's and they told me that there is a part they are going to install that will act "like" and ir reciever and will talk with the pioneer head unit and the steering wheel controls. As well there is another part they will install to allow me to still use the Onstar. I will see if I can find out exactly what he will be using, but I know that my price to have both of these luxuries is about $300.
I am installing the Pioneer SYS910DVD with the flip out monitor that will have DVD and NAV. The nav is touch screen, voice, and remote controlled. I will be using the Vizualogic 7" headrest screens, and a 6" sunvisor scrren for the front passenger, as well as XM sat radio.
I should have the truck back on Thursday, so I will take some pics and get them up by the weekend.

Kevin

2003 Pewter H2, Tire relocator, painted hard tire cover, billet gas cover, stainless bumper letters, 15% tinted front windows, a/v on its way!
2003 Pewter H2, Tire relocator, painted hard tire cover, billet gas cover, MC2 chrome hood handles, stainless bumper letters, 15% tinted front windows,pioneer nav/dvd, xm sat, headrest monitors, tv tuner, defenderworx hood latches, side vents, marker
Old 07-21-2003, 06:22 PM
Banned

Darrell is off the scale

Kevin,

Did you get your install done? How did it turn out?

Thanks,
Darrell

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevin W:
Hey guys,

Just my two bits.....I am having my a/v stuff installed tomorrow, and the custom installer here in Philly has done a few H2's and they told me that there is a part they are going to install that will act "like" and ir reciever and will talk with the pioneer head unit and the steering wheel controls. As well there is another part they will install to allow me to still use the Onstar. I will see if I can find out exactly what he will be using, but I know that my price to have both of these luxuries is about $300.
I am installing the Pioneer SYS910DVD with the flip out monitor that will have DVD and NAV. The nav is touch screen, voice, and remote controlled. I will be using the Vizualogic 7" headrest screens, and a 6" sunvisor scrren for the front passenger, as well as XM sat radio.
I should have the truck back on Thursday, so I will take some pics and get them up by the weekend.

Kevin

2003 Pewter H2, Tire relocator, painted hard tire cover, billet gas cover, stainless bumper letters, 15% tinted front windows, a/v on its way!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 07-21-2003, 09:31 PM

NSXer is off the scale

here's the thread...... still no new news....
http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=144603484 3&r=1186024773#1186024773

If you like bikes... Check out http://www.usualsuspex.com
Old 07-21-2003, 11:41 PM
Banned

Darrell is off the scale

Is this thread the piece that allows the steering wheel and rear contols to still be used? or is it for something else? I couldn't tell for sure by reading the post.

Thanks,
Darrell
Old 07-23-2003, 01:15 AM

bmac is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Kevin,

Did you get your install done? How did it turn out?

Thanks,
Darrell
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin informed me on 7/11 that his A/V installation was complete and he was very satisfied. Was going to be away for awhile but said he would be posting pics when his schedule permited.

I, too, am anxiously waiting to see the photos and to get the full report from him.