H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Hummer Veteran

bigolH2 is off the scale

My Volant intake increased my MPGs by a whoppin 1.5 mpg! lol. but hey, if you add those 1.5's up, thats quite a few more miles you can rock the truck down the street!
Old 03-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

Screeper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by sbmike:
Lext: One of the things you will find out very quickly in this forum is that discussions morph very quickly from their original topic. It's something you will need to get used to if you want to keep your sanity . To your immediate question indirectly, I have not spent any money on the mods you mention because after reading the archives of this forum I was not able to find anyone who could conclusively quantify any gain in fuel economy. I thought about purchasing a catback exhaust system which purportedly improves fuel economy but I wanted it more for the noise. I finally decided I like the quiet rumble the vehicle already makes and left it alone. Don't know if that helps any but there it is... no morphs either .

I also have tried the intakes and exhaust only to return most of it back to stock with the exception of the airaid air filter, and a programmer. (11.6 mpg) Also think about how long it would take to make up the 700 to 1000 dollars in cost if they did work. You might save five bucks a tank. 100 to 200 tanks later you might break even. If you want a small performance gain do it. If you want the gas savings, not worth it at all. The only big performance gain = supercharger IMO
2004 Lux with 6 inch Fabtech with tie rods, 38 inch MT's, 4:88 gears, and some minor engine tweaks.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:12 PM
Hummer Novice

Lext is off the scale

THANKS GUYS!
Thats Awesome Feedback.

Hey I Notice a Lot of You are in South Florida. I Live in N.C. now but grew up in Fort Laud. (Coral Ridge).

I Used to Take an Old IH Scout out to what is now the area around Broward mall and Four wheel all the time when i was in High School ( At Nova, in the late 70's).

That Stuff is all Gone now though I Bet!

I Love this vehicle. I have only had it 2 weeks but I can't wipe the smile off my Face!
Old 03-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Lext:
THANKS GUYS!
Thats Awesome Feedback.

Hey I Notice a Lot of You are in South Florida. I Live in N.C. now but grew up in Fort Laud. (Coral Ridge).
Hey, where are you down there?
Old 03-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Hummer Novice

Lext is off the scale

Charlotte -
Hey One More Q:

I Need to Get the 30,000 Mile Service Done -
Hummer Dealer wants 600.00 The Chevy Dealer Says thats crazy, and Say's they will do everything for 200.00.

Is there anything that only a hummer Dealer would be able to do that I am Not Aware of??
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Hummer Messiah

Not that I'm aware of.

If you're on the left, you should smile. If you're on the right, stop looking at the front row tits.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Hummer Novice

Lext is off the scale

Im on The Left ( That Was Pre Hummer!) Les Paul is on the right, Thats exactly what he is looking at. Not bad for 90!
:>
Old 03-20-2006, 08:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

Dewi2005 is off the scale

Hey Lext,

I think Screeper and SBMike summed it up just fine. I added:
0-Corsa exhaust = decrease in MPG.
0-Headers = no change in MPG
0-Air raid intake = no change in MPG
0-Hypertech programmer = small improvement in MPG
0-Intake spacer = small improvement in MPG
0-Supercharger = HUGE increase in power and fun, but decrease in MPG.. (Worth the change in my opinion)

Enjoy your H2... they are AWESOME, and get used to being flipped off by granola eating, tofu farting ferries!!
Old 03-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Hummer Novice

Lext is off the scale

Thanks Guys, I Am Just Going to Pass on the upgrades. It Doesn't seem like there is enough of a Benefit ( If at All). I Am Happy with the performance. i have a Teenage son so Somehow I feel like i Might regret the Supercharger! :>
Old 03-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Hummer Novice

Lext is off the scale

Quote:
Enjoy your H2... they are AWESOME, and get used to being flipped off by granola eating, tofu farting ferries!!

Thats So Funny, It Happened to me today ( Other car was a Dodge Neon! ), Thats Gotta be fun to drive..
Old 03-21-2006, 04:42 AM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
Originally posted by Lext:
Thanks Guys, I Am Just Going to Pass on the upgrades. It Doesn't seem like there is enough of a Benefit ( If at All). I Am Happy with the performance. i have a Teenage son so Somehow I feel like i Might regret the Supercharger! :>
Smart man. Very smart man.

So, coming to Moab?
Old 03-23-2006, 11:02 PM
Hummer Novice

Lext is off the scale

Wish I Could, i am Tied Up Till Widows O.S. (VISTA) Ships.

i Watched the lionsback H2 Video Someone posted. Thats Freakin Awesome. I Love my Hummer!
Old 03-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Elcova Rookie

boo4u is off the scale

Magnacharger, Extreme Flow CatBack exhaust = 10 mpg. Supercharger is worth every penny and future ones as well with the fun factor!
Old 05-31-2006, 04:03 AM
Hummer Professional

31_bandits is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gas Milage Tips And Mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolH2
My Volant intake increased my MPGs by a whoppin 1.5 mpg! lol. but hey, if you add those 1.5's up, thats quite a few more miles you can rock the truck down the street!

Was that 1.5 mpg averaged over a few tanks, so as to make a pretty solid estimate?
Old 05-31-2006, 04:06 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

up your highway pressures 5 psi , this is the best way to increase your mileage , next to pushing it
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 05-31-2006, 04:22 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lext
Anyone have any ood Tips or Mods?
I Have a 03 h2, I am Averaging about 11.6, which is not bad. Is there anything that anyone has done that actually increases that number? Again, I Knwew what i was getting into, ( I also have a V8 Cj5 and a Lexus Lx 470).
Would a Supercharger help? Which Chip is the best? What about Cold air Intake?

Hey Lext,

i have the same curiosity - how to improve mileage if possible.

I'm very surprised by how GOOD the mileage on my H2 has been. The dealer suggested that getting <10 around town shouldn't be a surprise, and even suggested that <10 on the highway in adverse (75, into wind, whatever they said) might happen.

But as of today, my vehicle has used 255.7 gallons of gas over 3292 miles, or an avg. of 12.9. When i got it, it had 50 or 60 miles and an average of 3 or 4 (i can't exactly remember, although i think i wrote it down somewhere), so in the time i've driven it its averaged about 13.5.

The first tank was 11.5, the 2nd most recent tank was 14.5, and today i put on 400 miles on the highway - first into the wind, then turn around with the wind for a round-trip, and got 14.6 with an avg speed of 65-70. 12.5 into and almost 17 with the wind.

It doesn't seem to me that i drive anything but normal. And there are 2 off-roading sessions on that, during which i probably got 4 mpg

Some things that i have noticed are that mileage drops off fairly quickly as speeds go above 55 on the highway. you might pay 1mpg for 5 more MPH. I don't idle alot as part of my normal living, so that helps & i've always been fond of coasting to stops if i can rather than using the brakes. But its not like i'm driving like a hybrid dude & causing 10 car pile ups by merging onto the freeway at 40 in an ongoing attempt to approach the EPA ratings.

beats the crap out of me. but my mileage isn't really any worse than any full size pickup or large SUV.

The closest thing there is here to a hummer "tuner" shop touted some Airraid intakes and whatever exhausts as adding 2-3mpg, but that guys H2 reads 8.7. I know he tows things with it alot (no towing for me) & it idles around in their lot often, and they have alot of performance parts & generally drive like raped apes, but i can't figure how they think they get 2-3 mpg more. they were getting 6 before?

So i might try an intake or whatever... but only if somebody agrees to take it back if it mucks things up.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:26 AM
Hummer Professional

anyway, my truck will have a 14mpg avg after a few more tanks.

-i run premium fuel (is about 10-20 cents more here)
-mileage has gone up with each tank except the offroad ones
-my last 2 tanks were the best, and i removed the NERF steps and the roof cross bars. those cut down on wind noise at highway speeds, so maybe if they were noticably contributing to noise they were noticably worsening aerodynamics
-i have 17" aftermarket rims and factory tires and have never adjusted tire pressure (i'm learning)
-no lifts/lowerings/engine mods

whatever that's worth
Old 05-31-2006, 04:26 AM
Hummer Veteran

Dewi2005 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP
Frankly, if you're worrying about the fuel consumption, then you should have bought something else.

Who's Frank???
Old 05-31-2006, 08:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

menuserve.com is on a distinguished road

what do most people keep their tire pressure at?

:: Free Online Dating :: Restaurant Takeout & Delivery Menus ::
Old 05-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Hummer Expert

GeorgeSSSS is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix1
A lot of it is really all in the way you drive. If I set the cruize at 62mph I will get 15 mpg in my H2 on the highway.

Take it EXTREMELY easy of stoplights (I.E. Let everyone fly ahead of you) and leave plenty of room in front of you at all times so you dont need to use the brake. I do this a lot in stop and go traffic, its amazing how many times people hit the brake in stop and go....if you just leave a little room you will probly hit the brake once for every 50 times everyone else does.

Do all of this for a day and check your milage. You will be amazed. Remember GO EXTREMELY easy off stops, and never push the gas more than 1/4 of the way.

Granted I hate driving like that, but it does save TONS of $ on fillups. Think of it this way...u cruize slow and the cute girls have more time to check you out =)

--John

www.JohnHasMoreFun.com

I've tried John's suggestions and they work. Here's a few more:

The H2 is heavy. When you are going down a hill or slight grade, take your foot off the gas. You'll be surprised how well the truck maintains its speed.

Correct tire pressure is 37 PSI. Most gas stations, etc., will inflate the tires to 32 or 33 without thinking. Make sure they are inflated to 37 psi when they are cold.

Use the cruise control whenever possible and safe. Especially on a freeway, it gets good milage.

All of this gets natural after a while and you don't notice it.

Best regards,

George SSSS
Black 2005 Adventure Series; factory touch screen GPS w/XM radio; factory express open/close sunroof; reclining second row seats; Warn 9.5ti Multi-Mount Winch; Gobi Stealth roof rack with PIAA lights; HotShot windshield washer fluid system