H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-10-2003, 01:05 AM

H2 Daddy is off the scale

I think I am going to like the HitchCam.

It was getting dark when I finished and when I went for a Test drive the road/bottom half of monitor was sometimes black.

Other times I could see the road perfectly.

I went and got gas and at the gas station I could see perfectly. The gas station was well lit.

I didn't quite understand how to hook up the relay which cuts power to the HitchCam system when one turns off the key. I will look at it again tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:05 AM

I think I am going to like the HitchCam.

It was getting dark when I finished and when I went for a Test drive the road/bottom half of monitor was sometimes black.

Other times I could see the road perfectly.

I went and got gas and at the gas station I could see perfectly. The gas station was well lit.

I didn't quite understand how to hook up the relay which cuts power to the HitchCam system when one turns off the key. I will look at it again tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:55 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

There are only two settings for the switch. On all of the time (even with the ignition off) or on when you shift into reverse.

2003 H2 Hummer, Yellow,Polished Whipple Supercharged, Edelbrock ceramics, catback,18" Ambush w/mudders,lots of goodies!
Y2K Corvette Millennium Yellow Convert/Blk/Blk, B&B headers, B&B Tri-Flo's, H-Tech MAG,GMS MAF, RM Racing TwinFlow.
1994 Chev 454 Suburban, Blown, Doug Thorley
1970 Trans Am, balanced, blue printed, Hooker ceramics

www.4swimwear.com
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:32 PM

plesset is off the scale

The HitchCam really is a great product. Once you get used to judging the actual distance it displays it can be really useful when trying to park in tight spots. Combined with the tilting side mirrors, parking in the city and getting as close to the curb as possible is a snap.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:45 PM

H2 Bill
My instructions state that the HitchCam will draw power even when the camera and vehicle are turned off. It also states that this is not a problem unless the vehicle is not started for a week or more. That's why they recommend installing the relay. The relay cuts power to the HitchCam when the key is turned off.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:20 PM

Anybody else's monitor turn black on the bottom?

I drove around today and again sometimes the road/bottom part of screen is black.

At other times the black part gets smaller and then larger again.

It is an overcast day here and I wonder if that is the problem.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:33 PM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2 Daddy:
H2 Bill
My instructions state that the HitchCam will draw power even when the camera and vehicle are turned off. It also states that this is not a problem unless the vehicle is not started for a week or more. That's why they recommend installing the relay. The relay cuts power to the HitchCam when the key is turned off.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

H2 Daddy,
I have had mine for about 9 months and the instructions made no mention of any of this! What size relay and where do you install it? I haven't had any problem with the bottom part of the screen being black.

2003 H2 Hummer, Yellow,Polished Whipple Supercharged, Edelbrock ceramics, catback,18" Ambush w/mudders,lots of goodies!
Y2K Corvette Millennium Yellow Convert/Blk/Blk, B&B headers, B&B Tri-Flo's, H-Tech MAG,GMS MAF, RM Racing TwinFlow.

www.4swimwear.com
Old 06-10-2003, 08:33 PM

H2 Bill
The "GM Installation Advisory 5/30/03" installation directions are printed separately from the install/owners manual. As far as size, the relay is a small black box with 4 wires coming out of it. If you would like, I can fax the "Advisory" to you.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Daddy,
Thanks for the offer! I contacted HitchCam and they are sending me the update.

www.4swimwear.com
Old 06-15-2003, 12:45 PM

I talked to the HitchCAM company and they were pretty nice about my problems with their product.

Instead of making me deal with the retailer I bought it from they told my to send my camera and monitor back to them.

I will update about the outcome of my situation.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:32 PM
Hummer Professional

ratesguy is off the scale

I have the hitchcam and am very happy with it. On sunny afternoons the camera will be affected by glare, but not a real problem. My hitchcam has a switch to turn it off when not in use.No relay so you must turn it off separately when you turn off ignition
Old 06-18-2003, 05:00 PM

ratesguy

What do you mean by glare?

By glare do you mean the screen turns black towards the bottom?

That's what mine was doing. I didn't know if the apprarence was do to the monitor or a malfunction.

I sent my camera and monitor back to HitchCAM. They are going to look at it and get back to me.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:19 PM
Hummer Professional

ratesguy is off the scale

H2 Daddy-- well it is hard to describe. sometimes I get a white vertical line on the screen. othertimes it is just all fuzzy. not just on bottom of screen. only on really sunny days when sun is to the rear of vehicle
Old 06-19-2003, 09:11 PM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ratesguy:
H2 Daddy-- well it is hard to describe. sometimes I get a white vertical line on the screen. othertimes it is just all fuzzy. not just on bottom of screen. only on really sunny days when sun is to the rear of vehicle<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mine does the same, with the verticle white line, etc. I think that it's called flare.

www.4swimwear.com
Old 06-25-2003, 01:24 AM

The HitchCam company called me today and said they are replacing the camera. I should get it on Friday,but I will be off taking my Hummer driving class. When I return I will hook the system up and report on it's preformance.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:21 AM

The HitchCam works great now and I love it. It is nice to know that there is nothing behind you when you are backing-up. This is one of the best accessories I have added. The people at HitchCam were great about fixing my problem. The problem was with the camera.