H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Elcova Newbie

Evil Ways is on a distinguished road
Default 2 strange noises my H2 makes and how to fix them...

Ok, my hummer makes 2 noises that i would like to eliminate.
the first only happens at highway speeds, over 70, when i get up to speed the (and this is as technical as i can get) plastic thinggy on the front of the car, i think abouve the springs, vibrates annoyingly loud. Whats up with that.

The other is more is when i open my door, the part of my door closest to the hood latch catches on the fron fender and makes a loud crack sound. it doesnt look like it will break anything but it annoys me.

Anyone know how to solve these problems?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Hummer Veteran

MattRoberts123 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2 strange noises my H2 makes and how to fix them...

ok well I think your "speed noise rattling problem" isnt what you are thinking. the outer trim piece that is on the "A" pillars on the outside of the car... (both right and left side of the windshield) is a black piece that runs up to the top of the car to make the trim all look the same. The problem is that where this piece rests on the front of the windshield is NOT air tight. This allows air to get in there and causes the plastic pieces to rattle when going fast.

I have seen 2 fixes. First, take the piece off both sides, line the inside of the piece with 3m tape, then put the pieces back on, and it makes a significant improvement.

Second option was to get black electrical tape, and run a piece from the top of the windshield to the bottom on the front (for each side) have half of the tape on the windshield and the other half on the plastic piece. The tape really isnt visible because of the tinted part of the glass, and this works good too!

Hope this helps

BTW - I used method #1

Carless... riding the bus... Trying to decide on which 08 H2 to get
Old 03-05-2007, 06:53 AM
Hummer Professional

obzidian is on a distinguished road

really? I thought that was the lights and i was gonna see to tighten them. Does the dealer have a fix or is this our only solution?
Old 03-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Hummer Professional

WHOSNEXT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ways
Ok, my hummer makes 2 noises that i would like to eliminate.
the first only happens at highway speeds, over 70, when i get up to speed the (and this is as technical as i can get) plastic thinggy on the front of the car, i think abouve the springs, vibrates annoyingly loud. Whats up with that.

The other is more is when i open my door, the part of my door closest to the hood latch catches on the fron fender and makes a loud crack sound. it doesnt look like it will break anything but it annoys me.

Anyone know how to solve these problems?

mine did the same thing....do what matt says it works.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Hummer Expert

MONSTERMATT is an unknown quantity at this point

MATROBERTS123, KNOW WAHT HE TALKIN BOUT
Old 03-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Elcova Newbie

Evil Ways is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRoberts123
ok well I think your "speed noise rattling problem" isnt what you are thinking. the outer trim piece that is on the "A" pillars on the outside of the car... (both right and left side of the windshield) is a black piece that runs up to the top of the car to make the trim all look the same. The problem is that where this piece rests on the front of the windshield is NOT air tight. This allows air to get in there and causes the plastic pieces to rattle when going fast.

I have seen 2 fixes. First, take the piece off both sides, line the inside of the piece with 3m tape, then put the pieces back on, and it makes a significant improvement.

Second option was to get black electrical tape, and run a piece from the top of the windshield to the bottom on the front (for each side) have half of the tape on the windshield and the other half on the plastic piece. The tape really isnt visible because of the tinted part of the glass, and this works good too!

Hope this helps

BTW - I used method #1
\thanks bud
Old 03-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Hummer Professional

mdoyle is on a distinguished road

From this board- remove the trim and run a bead of black RTV silicone under the inside edge of the trim, then reinstall it before it cures.

The RTV will bond it to the glass and prevent vibration, it can still be easily removed if you need to service the trim or glass.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:20 AM
Elcova Newbie

kelleyh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRoberts123

Hope this helps

BTW - I used method #1
Matt... How do you remove these two pieces easily. Looks like you remove the weatherstripping on the door jamb and go from there??
Old 04-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

MattRoberts123 is on a distinguished road

Just open the door... there are 2 screws there that hold the piece on... remove the screws and the piece comes right off!

Carless... riding the bus... Trying to decide on which 08 H2 to get
Old 04-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Hummer Veteran

RichS is on a distinguished road

It works! Thanks for the tip! I origianlly thought it was the wind guard for the sunroof, so I pulled it off and cleaned it up and siliconed it down . That wasn't it. So then I was convinced it was the front maker lights so I did the same thing. That wasn't it either. So after I read your tip I taped up the trim pieces and went for a drive and that was it. So I masked it up real good so I wouldn't get any silicone on the windshield and put down a beed of black silicone then screwed down the trim piecses. And it worked! Thanks again for the tip! The good news is now I have air-tight trim pieces, wind guard and marker lights!
'05 Daughter-Luxury and Adventure Package (Sweet!)