H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-27-2003, 03:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

JohnB.GWU. is off the scale

NY TIMES anyone?? what has happened to FAO will happen to GM and the Hummer brand if they are not careful. Mercedes managed to avoid it and still kept all of their cars classy, but can the same be said for GM with the H6 and H7???

John R. Benda
05\' Yellow Lux - BACK TO YELLOW BABY!!!
04 S55 Benz w/Brabus Tuning
Old 12-27-2003, 03:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

NY TIMES anyone?? what has happened to FAO will happen to GM and the Hummer brand if they are not careful. Mercedes managed to avoid it and still kept all of their cars classy, but can the same be said for GM with the H6 and H7???

John R. Benda
Old 12-27-2003, 04:17 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

For decades, Mercedes was special, a Mercedes was a Mercedes, now it is just another import with so many different models, you can't even tell the difference between C, E and S unless you see the numbers on the back, and there are simply too many MBs everywhere, including the slums. Mercedes realizes this problem, it is no longer the elite, thus the reason why they needed Maybach, simply they know Mercedes Benz is longer what it used to be. Same reason why after 20 years of exclusively MBs only, I don't even consider buying a Mercedes. The problem of success, they flood the market with so many new affordable models along with older MBs still on the road. The subject has been discussed in Businessweek, Forbes and few auto magazines.

In a recent dinner party, one of the guests said he just bought a SL55, years ago, all the guys would go out to take a look, but not one person got excited and no one moved, simply because Mercedes is no big deal anymore.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:17 AM
Hummer Professional

DURAMAX TIM is off the scale

In a recent dinner party, one of the guests said he just bought a SL55, years ago, all the guys would go out to take a look, but not one person got excited and no one moved, simply because Mercedes is no big deal anymore.

But u mention Hummer and EVERYONE is outside, right Mac

Yell'r 04 Lux w/ air, sunroof,F&R brush bars
04 Chevy D/A CC SLT LB
Ex H2&3 owner
My hiking boots and canoe paddle have more miles than most 'offroad' vehicles, over 350 in last year.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:01 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Tim, you got that right.
In our family and some social circles, my Hummer is not only the only Hummer, but often the only American automobile. In many parties everything else on the driveways of the parties are basically all German, mainly MBs, Hummer is often the cheapest auto among all. Guess which one is the auto every adult and child must make a nice comment and take a closer look or climb into? Hummer. Even if it is their 5th time seeing it, I still have the coolest automobile not only to the children but to the adults too. I am bigger and I last longer.

Now, picture this, you got this brand new $150K SL55, or E55 or S600, 745, 996, you arrive at the party, no one notice you new car, no one say anything about your new car, no one want to look inside your new car. You can only tell yourself that you don't care, you didn't buy a $150K car to get attention and you like being low-profile. Ha ha ha. Talk about best bang! for my Hummer bucks.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:07 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the auto manufacturers have brought this on themselves. Through M & A they have consolodated to the point that the vehicles share so much they are in effect the same.

Take the SLK and the Crossfire. Same underpinnings, but I would buy the Crossfire in a heartbeat over the SLK. MB made the mistake, IMHO, of going after the entry level or move up buyer with those little MB's that are butt ugly.

As far as imports go, I still have respect for BMW and my respect for VW is growing by leaps and bounds. The Taureg and Phaeton have made me look at them in a new light. Especially that big damn car. But, again, parts are shared across the line.

Black Lingenfelter Lux
Old 12-28-2003, 10:06 PM
Hummer Novice

rsatmans is off the scale

ok dont mess with mercedes go pick on another company the s class is the best driving car period mine had parktronic and distronic i put it on cruise control and it keeps a certain specified distance that i choose so please mess with another brand.

2004 ford f150/mods
2003 mercedes s430
2001 mercedes e320
2001 mercedes c320
Old 12-28-2003, 10:20 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

No insults meant to MB owners, there are quite a few of them on this forum. My parents have an '04 SL 500. It's nice.

However, I am very interested in the Phaeton, as I stated before. What a vehicle. It compares favorably with the S500, maybe even better, especially with that giant Bentley engine.

But again, no disrespect to MB owners.

Black Lingenfelter Lux
Old 12-28-2003, 11:25 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Mercedes is no longer what it used to be, but VW is not MB nor BMW, VW is VW. It will be interesting to see how many people will pay $70K to buy a VW Phaston, instead of a S430(poor man's S500), 745 or Jaguar, all nice cars. People don't pay that much money for "parktronic and distronic", they are buying the brand name prestige. Just kidding and messing with your ego. Take it easy.

FAO Schwarz is a total different story, that is called mismanagement.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:30 AM

Kevin B is off the scale

rsatman, do you know a "zero tolerance" guy?

Oh nevermind I see you are Hummerless
Old 12-29-2003, 02:55 AM
Hummer Veteran

As far as Mercedes is concerned, they did make a wise decision (in addition to being able to generate more revenue for the company) by offering more models, but did infact take some of the exclusivity factor away from their cars. But, that was simply the opportunity cost of business they were faced with, and as aforementioned, we all know the result. With competition from BMW and Audi expanding into the entry level lineup, they had to do it to remain a major player and to get people to part from their hard earned money. For me, I hate pulling up next to C and E classes because they are virtually mirror images (proportions are different though) of my ride. Take a look at what happened to the SL roadster. Before the current generation, you could purchase an SL 320, 430, 500 and 600 ( as is the Same with the old body Sclass) Now they have made the decion to offer the SL in 500 and up and the S in 430 and up (i personally believe that there shouldnt even be an S430.) A big Benz is still a big benz in my opinion, and i feel that the new 55, 600 and upcoming 65 models will help merc. reestablish itself as a premium car manufacturer.
TO Hummer (and DRTYFUN): Open Mounth, Insert Foot. Hummer is going to make a big mistake if when they introduce the H3. 50,000 for the h2 is an aspiration for many people that, when achieved, proves to be a rewarding ownership experience and a display of hard work and perserverence in their garage. Because of the plethora of other suv's out there, the h3 simply has no place. FAO Schwarz is similiar to hummer mr. p, poor expansion being the primary comparison im making between the two.
Peace

John R. Benda
Old 12-29-2003, 01:36 PM

noc is off the scale

Interesting Article about MB ranking 26th in Reliability

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rsatmans:
ok dont mess with mercedes go pick on another company the s class is the best driving car period mine had parktronic and distronic i put it on cruise control and it keeps a certain specified distance that i choose so please mess with another brand.

2004 ford f150/mods
2003 mercedes s430
2001 mercedes e320
2001 mercedes c320<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-29-2003, 03:24 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Mercedes Benz makes beautiful and excellent cars, I always love MB cars and for 20 years I bought and drove MBs only. I absolutely admit it was mostly for prestige, when you drove a Mercedes, no matter what model or how old, you must be rich. When you saw a guy drove MB, you automatically think he is doing well and you can do business with the guy. When a guy moved from MB to other cars, people in the business circle started talking and wondering what went wrong with him, guessed the business is bad for him. or people said, "Mrs. Bode is rich, she has a Mercedes."

MB cars are still nice or the best, but they are just no longer exclusive and no longer symbols of rich and powerful, my house cleaners drive a MB. I saw a Maybach near my house last week, it was right behind me, I thought it is a S500 until it got close. Maybach looks ugly to me, S500 has a much better smooth line.

I personally search for something totally different, I still want prestige, I went with Jaguar and Hummer. I want to replace the Jaguar, I don't know what else fits the bill, maybe as crazy as H1, but that may not be practical.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:09 PM

Drag is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>best driving car period mine had parktronic and distronic...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like the car drove itself, not a good driving car. There is more to driving than just setting the cruise control and drifting.

Also, although I do like to have rear parking assist, than front parking assist is crap. If you can't tell where the nose of your vehicle is, plus or minus six inches, then you need to have your drivers license revoked

Yes, this is my truck. No, I will NOT help you move.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:08 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

The mercedes name has degraded to the point here where it is classed with the Hondas and Toyotas. Every 16 year old gang member and plumber has one.

I've been a merc fan my whole life up until about 2 years ago when the numbers on the road were staggering and our economy slumping. The Hyundai came out with a look-alike(Sonnata?). Then Kia followed suit(Sorrento?).

One guy went ape-**** when I told him,"Nice Hyundai!". And that was an honest mistake!

Most of us can easily afford one, but why waste money and overpay just for a name that means nothing now?

IMO, anyone who buys a merc now, made a mistake.

One of my machine operators had his s430 in my parking spot because it was wide and nicely positioned. I yelled out, "GET THAT POS OUT OF THERE!!!". I never would have said that 2-3 years ago.

"Skull and Bones" Member Since 2003

My Video Collectionez

Old 12-29-2003, 06:13 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rsatmans:

2004 ford f150/mods
2003 mercedes s430
2001 mercedes e320
2001 mercedes c320<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did it chew your food and pick your clothes for you? BOOOOOORINGGGG!! Why do you want to rely on technology when you should have the skills to park and you should be paying attention when driving. I'm going to laugh the first time one of those cars wrecks because of something unforseen by the computer.
MBZ are nice cars for the older crowd, but BMW is a great driver and is MUCH sportier to boot.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:55 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

And MBs are expensive to maintain. Even during warranty period, there are things just not covered, once over 50K or 75K miles, things started to go wrong, and you cannot get out of the garage for less than $2,000, a simple tune up is hundreds of dollars. If I went to the dealership, I had to look at that rude and arrogant Gunther with his thick German accent. Everyone assumed MB are best quality and nothing go wrong, which is never the case.

The dealership is often rude and arrogant too, thanks to that, I went across the street to the Jaguar dealer just to take a look, the salesman was such a professional gentleman, I bought the car, never looked back.

We were talking with our 15 yr old son about his first car, I suggested a late model used MB C or E car, he absolutely wants nothing to do with MB, not cool and for old people. I am sorry, kid, you are NOT getting the Hummer! Its your first car which you will mess up for sure, a used Mercedes is about what you will get, or would you rather have a used Volvo? Hahaha. Teenager driving a Volvo, thats funny, no more girlfriend for sure.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:04 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Would that be Gunther from Autobahn?
Old 12-29-2003, 08:23 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

That was Gunther from European Motors in San Francisco, he always looked angry. Every customer was always so nice and polite to him affraided he might get angry, no matter how rich and powerful you are, you got to be nice to all those people at the MB dealer, same reason why you have to be nice to waiters, they might spit in your salad. Whose money is it anyway? I used to think all Germans are angry and rude until when I started traveling to Germany annually for business, I found out they are actually nice polite and very warm people, just as friendly as Americans.