H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 11-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Hummer Professional

Scarsman is on a distinguished road
Default Planning H2 purchase

I am planning to get an H2 probably within the next few months. I have been reading on here for awhile learning what I can, but I have a few questions I have not found good answers too yet.

Are there different gear ratios? I found an old post saying at that time they were all 4.11, but have they added anything different?

Are there any years that stand out as being better? I understand that they got more power in 2008, and a 6spd tranny in '08 or '09?

I looked at a 2005, and above the 4X4 buttons there was a button with a pic of an axle with an X on the diff and a little padlock. Is this an electric rear locker? And do any have a front locker? The dealer had no clue about Hummers at all.

What does the adventure package add? Is the air ride part of that? I will be using it offroad.

I will probably have more questons later, but I have been scouring the search function to try to keep them to a minimum. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

dbartromsut is off the scale
Default Re: Planning H2 purchase

1. I believe they all come stock with 4.10 gear ratio.

2. I have owned both a 2005 and 2008 H2's and loved both of them. Although I have to say I like my 2008 a lot better. It has tons of power and the transmission is much more refined. I also love the interior of my 08'. Don't get me wrong though, you really can't go wrong!

3. The button with the "X" on it is indeed an electric rear axle locker. No h2's have came from the factory with front lockers.

4. Not exactly sure what all the adventure package adds, but I know you can jump on hummer.com and it shows you what all the package adds.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Hummer Expert

twr is on a distinguished road

hi 2008 and 09 have 3.73 gears stock and about 65 hp more than 2007 and down. 2007 down have 4.10 gears stock. Here is a link to check 2009 specs http://www.hummer.com/#/AMERICAS/us/ and here is a link for 2005 H2 http://www.automotive.com/2005/12/hu...ent/index.html hope this helps

2008 H2 SUV
Starr Hid projector headlights
Hid lights in the DRL bumper holes
Custom Alum. light bar, 2 Rigid Industries 10 inch Leds
MC2 Roof Light Bar
24 inch Starr 770 Hammer Rims
Gen 6 Lockpick
Gm bluetooth
Front + Rear Camera's

73 Duster 588 ci. B1 injected akly with NOS
Supercharged 2002 Harley, E Glide Classic
2005 Screamin Eagle, E Glide

http://twrbaggersplus.com/

Last edited by twr : 11-19-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:39 AM
Hummer Professional

Thank you both, that does help. Looking at the Hummer site, it looks like all the adventure package adds is the air suspension and a brush guard. Is the air ride really that big of a deal? Seems like some have had issues with it and removed it. Something else to research, I guess!

Thanks again!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:49 AM
Hummer Veteran

vandy0090 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarsman
Thank you both, that does help. Looking at the Hummer site, it looks like all the adventure package adds is the air suspension and a brush guard. Is the air ride really that big of a deal? Seems like some have had issues with it and removed it. Something else to research, I guess!

Thanks again!

the air ride can be an issue. lots of parts working together to get the job done. one thing goes out and u might be chasing ghosts for a while. well if you are like me and trust no one to touch your vehicles. if you do look at one with the air ride. start it up push she button with the up/down arrows and the back of the truck. close the door and the air compressor will kick on and jack the rear end up a few inches. when its up crawl under there with a flash light and take a look at the bags. where they fold over tends to dry rott. thats what happened to mine and i got a leak. bags are about 90 bucks a piece if i remember right and take about 5 min to change out. but if they are rotting you might be able to work new bags into the deal.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:02 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy0090
the air ride can be an issue. lots of parts working together to get the job done. one thing goes out and u might be chasing ghosts for a while. well if you are like me and trust no one to touch your vehicles. if you do look at one with the air ride. start it up push she button with the up/down arrows and the back of the truck. close the door and the air compressor will kick on and jack the rear end up a few inches. when its up crawl under there with a flash light and take a look at the bags. where they fold over tends to dry rott. thats what happened to mine and i got a leak. bags are about 90 bucks a piece if i remember right and take about 5 min to change out. but if they are rotting you might be able to work new bags into the deal.

Thanks that is good info. So, from what you are saying, it sounds like you can manually set ride hight with the air, as well as it being automatic? That could be useful off road.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:08 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarsman
Thanks that is good info. So, from what you are saying, it sounds like you can manually set ride hight with the air, as well as it being automatic? That could be useful off road.

it has a built in leveling system. there is a button u can push that will lift the rear end something like 3 inches. maybe more. i never use it. if u ever pay any attention to csi miami. every time they show one of the h2's its got the rear jacked up. thats about it. i think i read it was for towing but who knows. im sure someone on here can tell you y its there. ive only used mine for towing once and it was a bad exp. if u are going to tow make sure u have trailer brakes lol
Old 11-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

PHATBOYPIMP is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy0090
it has a built in leveling system. there is a button u can push that will lift the rear end something like 3 inches. maybe more. i never use it. if u ever pay any attention to csi miami. every time they show one of the h2's its got the rear jacked up. thats about it. i think i read it was for towing but who knows. im sure someone on here can tell you y its there. ive only used mine for towing once and it was a bad exp. if u are going to tow make sure u have trailer brakes lol

The button does raise the back of your H2 3-4 inches to give you a sharper angle of accent/decent - it actually works well.

If you do tow (and I tow a lot) it does auto level which is a really nice feature. I do not have stopping issues while towing, my 06 stops on a dime even with my boat in tow.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:47 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATBOYPIMP
The button does raise the back of your H2 3-4 inches to give you a sharper angle of accent/decent - it actually works well.

If you do tow (and I tow a lot) it does auto level which is a really nice feature. I do not have stopping issues while towing, my 06 stops on a dime even with my boat in tow.

just hope u dont loose a belt while you are towing or in my case my power steering pump shaft sheared. you in all rights loose your brakes i found out the hard way. now i have trailer brakes lol
Old 11-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

I have an '06 H2 SUT bought new from the dealer with the Adventure Package. In '06 the Adventure Package also included special "Adventure Floor Mats" and a nice Adventure tool kit from the factory. I've had no problems with the air suspension and sometimes it will surprise you when it runs to level the H2 after you are getting out with the engine shut off. I do a lot of towing and have had no problems, except the transmission temperature would run 210 in the summer when I was towing, so I broke down and put an aftermarket transmission cooler on. Cheap insurance and an easy afternoon job. The brakes on the H2 are more than adequate for loads up to 5000 pounds.
Here's a good review of the 2008 by Car Gurus if you want to Google it
...... they (the H2) are also one of the best all-terrain AWD vehicles on the road. If H2 owners actually used the SUV off-road, they would find it capable of handling obstacles, steep grades, and deep water as easily as paved asphalt. Towing capacity approaches 7000 pounds. The H2 won the North American Truck of the Year.

The Hummer H2 is also noted for its refined interior features, such as heated leather seats, power seats, dual-zone climate control, and wheel-mounted audio an cruise controls. Most of its life, it got its power from a 6.0 Vortec V8. For 2008, the H2 gets revamped with a new 6.2, 393-hp V8, an updated interior, stronger towing capacity, a standard third row of seats(previously optional), and improved safety features, such as stability control. Though fuel economy remains its biggest drawback, owners say they do feel safe in the H2, thanks to its wide stance and AWD features. The Hummer H2 consistently has the second highest owner satisfaction rating of any American vehicle, just behind the Chevrolet Corvette.

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 11-22-2009, 01:32 AM
Hummer Expert

splne1 is on a distinguished road

I would steer awayfrom the air suspension model!! Alot of owners have converted to rear coils because of different issues.