H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 03-11-2006, 02:21 AM
Hummer Veteran

Screeper is an unknown quantity at this point

I am approaching two years with my truck and thought it was time for a change. I looked and looked and other then anouther H2 nothing seemed close. So it got me to thinking if I wanted anouther. There are no real changes since I bought mine and the 400 HP will not be out until 2007. So much like my Jeeps I am going to buy toys for mine. I always wanted to lift it so I ordered and priced my lift project. I know this gets discussed all the time but I was hoping you guys might review my plan and advise if I am getting screwed.

Fabtech 6 inch lift $2195 Traiduty Just bought it so be gentle if I overpaid

Fabteck Tie Rods $200 and somthin Also already bought

Install $750 mechanic who has done my other lifts

4:88 gears $1000 dollars installed by Broward Powertrain

Toyo MT 38-15.50-20 475 each installed 4 week wait with 100 dollar deposit

Your comments are appreciated.

Al
2004 Lux with 6 inch Fabtech with tie rods, 38 inch MT's, 4:88 gears, and some minor engine tweaks.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:33 AM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

That looks pretty good! I've been thinking about doing almost the exact same thing. The cost looks pretty reasonable.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:36 AM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Al, we had the 6" fabtech done not too long ago. Same tires. I wheeled it for the first time today. It really makes a difference and it was a lot of fun.

After your install, it may be tight and awkward feeling- but it will work itself out and you will get used to it.

Fun fun!!! On the street, on the trail, it is like a toy. You will love it- congratulations.

Ps- you may want to look into getting the fender flares from Trail duty as well. That made it look even better.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:45 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks Co Pilot I actually followed your install and knew you did not like the full steering replacement I.E. Pitman arm at first. Thats why I am going to stick with just the tie rods for now. I am so excited to get this done, and the only thing holding me back will the four weeks on the tires. They look to sweet to pass on though.

Al
2004 Lux with 6 inch Fabtech with tie rods, 38 inch MT's, 4:88 gears, and some minor engine tweaks.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:01 AM
Hummer Expert

MONSTERMATT is an unknown quantity at this point

that all looks cool, im not all that familiar with the gear ratios thou, i thought guys were running 456's but if i ever lift i will definately look into the gears more deeply, if u know how to post pics i wanna see it, i say that cuz i have no idea how to post em lol
Old 03-11-2006, 04:26 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by MONSTERMATT:
that all looks cool, im not all that familiar with the gear ratios thou, i thought guys were running 456's but if i ever lift i will definately look into the gears more deeply, if u know how to post pics i wanna see it, i say that cuz i have no idea how to post em lol
Whatever.

Al, that's a lot for those tires.

Also, we didn't regear and haven't had a problem. I don't think Phil has either. A programmer may be a better trade off as you can adjust for tire size.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

When will we get a 2" - 4" lift??????????

6" is too much for most members to swallow.

My Video Collectionez

Old 03-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks for the input. The tires did seem high. That was mounted and balanced. He also offered to trade in my current open country toyos. I have no storage and everytime I have kept tires they eventually became a workbench or dryrotted out. I will try to find a better deal though. I already have the hypertech programmer and have used it for the past year and a half. Its a good unit and like you said I will need it for gears tires etc. Down here in Florida breakage is not as bad as else where as it is almost all sand and mud. Someday I want to go out to Moab though. I have always had a light foot off road anyway. Comes from driving a Lifted Jeeps for many years. To much gas and you either roll or break the front Dana 35 U Joints. Thanks again for the feed back and Phil I love you competitive prices. Thanks
Old 03-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

Oppps I meant Dana 30. Although I did end up bending a Dana 35 in rear propting the replacement of the whole axle with a Moser unit
Old 03-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

I bought mine in May of 04. Will I be alright?
Old 03-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by DennisAJC:

Old 03-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

Yeah that looks like mine. My H2 was actually a late 04. Thanks for all your help. Just got the email saying my kit will go out shortly and be here in a couple of days. Its the tires that are going to hold me up now.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Screeper,

That setup is basically what I did to mine. The pricing seems very reasonable. Phil has a good price on those.

The tierod ends are a must. The tires don't seem high to me. I paid 390 a piece for mine and that was the seller's cost. I know there was a price increase and availability was extremely hard to find them. So 475 including mounting and balancing seems okay.

You'll love those tires btw.

Gears, I went with 4.56's. I actually drove mine for a week or so before putting the gears in. I can't believe the members that have liftkits can drive without a gear change. Highway speeds absolutely suck without gears. I can't speak for anyone else but having to put the pedal down just to maintain highway speeds, my gas mileage went from 11'ish to 8.6

Put the gears in and it's back up to low to mid 10's. (I have a heavy foot but then again, I didn't buy the H2 for gas mileage)

Unfortunately, I'm still not completely happy with the performance at highway speeds. I'll be adding a supercharger soon.

You'll definitely want the reprogrammer. I went with a superchips and it seems as good as the Hypertech I had on a Yukon. Changing shift points helps but more importantly, I wanted my speedo and odometer to be right on.... and since you can change the tire size by 1/4" increments on the superchips, it's pretty accurate.

You'll love the truck when it's done, it'll look great. I'm sure I'm the only one that HAD to do it but I had driveshaft problems. I went through 3-4 driveshafts before we figured out it needed to be 2" longer and I had to make mine out of aluminum for decrease vibrations.

Like I said, I'm sure I'm the only idiot that had to do that, I hadn't heard of anyone else having that problem.

Good luck and post some pics. What wheels did you go with?

Mark

PS. If you need me to check with my guy, he had the tires in stock.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally posted by W1N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DennisAJC:

X 10 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 03-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

Crush Regretfully I have 20 inch DK5 rims.When I first bought the Hummer I fought my offroad roots and thought I would build a street truck with off road capabilty. Now I need to be true to what I love and reverse that thinking. Unless your into stereos and small screens, street trucks get pretty boring quickly. Here are the wheels.

http://www.dkwheels.com/styles/detai...tyle=DK5&desc=

They have an industrial look which I prefered to the bling. Also do you think the 488 are too much. In hind sight would you have gone with them instead of the 456? Thanks
Old 03-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Screeper:
Crush Regretfully I have 20 inch DK5 rims.When I first bought the Hummer I fought my off road roots and thought I would build a street truck with off road capabilty. Now I need to be true to what I love and reverse that thinking. Unless your into stereos and small screens, street trucks get pretty boring quickly. Here are the wheels.

http://www.dkwheels.com/styles/detai...tyle=DK5&desc=

They have an industrial look which I prefered to the bling. Also do you think the 488 are too much. In hind sight would you have gone with them insteed of the 456? Thanks

Wow, did you pick that word correctly... INDUSTRIAL... they have a very industrial, machine, heavy duty look to them... I think they'll look very cool on the truck.

I understand about the wheels. I've got through 3 sets before I finally ended up with these.

As far as the gears, if I were to do it again, I'd would have gone with 4.88's. I can't tell you it will work better but at least the rpm's would be a little higher at any specified speed and therefore allow you to speed up with mashing the shiet out of the gas.

Perhaps it's me. I sold my supercharged vette when I quit driving it cause I loved the H2 so much. Maybe that's why the H2 seems so sluggish, I was just used to it.

I just know that it's hard to maintain 75-80mph on the highway should you come upon any kind of hill. Like I said, perhaps the 4.88's would help.

HTH's,

Mark