H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 10-26-2004, 02:31 PM

Eqtytrdr is off the scale

I have a 2003 H2 with 12,000 miles. over the last couple of weeks a clunking has developed in the steering column? only felt at low speeds especially when going over small bumps. having truck serviced for problem on monday and was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and what the proper repair was. want to make sure dealer repairs correctly kinda pissed a truck that costs this much should be have problems like this!

I have a 2003 H2 with 12,000 miles. over the last couple of weeks a clunking has developed in the steering column? only felt at low speeds especially when going over small bumps. having truck serviced for problem on monday and was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and what the proper repair was. want to make sure dealer repairs correctly kinda pissed a truck that costs this much should be have problems like this!

Old 10-26-2004, 03:32 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Here, I did a very quick search, about one minute's worth, and found this post for you.
http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=646607536 2&r=6466075362#6466075362

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Eqtytrdr posted:
want to make sure dealer repairs correctly kinda pissed a truck that costs this much should be have problems like this! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You're right, that's why it should not cost you a penny.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:43 PM

thanks KenP appreciate the help. one question though is this going to be a on going problem ie. have this service done every 12,000 miles?
Old 10-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Hummer Messiah

No, should not be. I think they may be replacing the shaft now, but can't remember. Let us know if they change yours. I'm interested because I have about the same mileage as yours.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It's not really a service, it's more of a repair. GM came up with a kit to fix the problem by packing a bunch more grease onto the splines.

This is not just an H2 problem, several other trucks that cost as much as the H2 can have the same problem. I have both an H2 and a XL Denali and neither have developed this problem though.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2004, 04:42 PM

Thanks guys I did a search on this forum and found a later document (id # 1542538 replace upper intermediate steering shaft assembly, part # 89060582) will let you know how it is handled at my local dealer.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:13 PM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eqtytrdr:
Thanks guys I did a search on this forum and found a later document (id # 1542538 replace upper intermediate steering shaft assembly, part # 89060582) will let you know how it is handled at my local dealer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good luck on your vehicle. Mine did the same thing, and they said the part(intermediate steering shaft assembly) is back ordered. My service rep mentioned that his Tahoe, and other vehicles have had the same problem, and the manufacturer of this part is so backed up, that it may be a while!

Ric-H2
Old 10-27-2004, 11:53 AM

does anyone know if it is unsafe to drive our trucks with this problem or if it is causing any more damage to other componets?
Old 10-27-2004, 06:14 PM
Hummer Messiah

This is the only thing I can tell you about it:
I had a Tahoe that did it also. I never took it in for repairs. Two and a half years later and it was still fine when I traded it. I guess...
Old 10-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

Here is the final word on this subject.
There is an updated intermediate shaft to correct this condition. This part is on back order currently. GM does authorize the dealers to do the lubrication kit to the shaft, to temporarily eliminate the noise, and then replace it when parts are more available. This is a common problem on most GM trucks, and is in no way dangerous. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:20 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hummertech:
Here is the final word on this subject.
There is an updated intermediate shaft to correct this condition. This part is on back order currently. GM does authorize the dealers to do the lubrication kit to the shaft, to temporarily eliminate the noise, and then replace it when parts are more available. This is a common problem on most GM trucks, and is in no way dangerous. Good luck. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the same thing. The dealer replaced the shaft and the problem went away. as far as safety, my dealer told me there is nothing to worry about and they new I was on my way to Moab at the time.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem. The dealer also yold me that it was not a safety issue, but I've noticed my front tires are beginning to cup a little on the outsides. I wonder if this is due to this problem, or could it be just coincidence?

Ric
Old 10-28-2004, 11:24 PM
Hummer Professional

No, that won't affect your tire wear. This shaft is the shaft that goes between your steering column, and your steering gearbox. Your tires are probably cupping due to not being rotated often enough. There are other things that can cause it. But that is the most common reason that I see.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:30 AM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm told that the shaft will not be avalivable
Untill Feb or March,but you can still get them.
Atleast at the moment.Your dealer needs to upgrade your order
to a SPAC case w/your VIN number.Then go to
O.E connection to locate a deal who has one.GM
will have the selling dealer FEDEX the part to your dealer.Some dealer's will hold on to them
for their own customers,some just need the sale.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:55 AM

Thanks everyone, you have been very helpful. will keep you updated.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:28 AM

had truck serviced yesterday, dealer told me tech stated to lubricate inter. steering shaft (which they did) and no mention of replacing part. the cluncking has stopped for now. I told them they need to order updated shaft and they wanted to try this first???
Old 11-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Hummer Professional

I would take it back to them at the first sign of it making the noise again. It will probably be doing it in a couple of months. By then, there should be a supply of these shafts available. And even if you go out of warranty, they still have to fix it because you complained about it while you were in warranty.