H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-30-2005, 02:39 AM
Hummer Veteran

H2Singh is off the scale

I searched the old discussion and cannot get a good grasp of which, if any, air intake system is a good replacement. I am looking for performance gains. Did the Corsa sport exhaust and now want an Intake system or simple air filter replacement.

WHAT has worked for you? Which one, what gains, how much and from where?

I know many of you will jump at the opportunity of bashing this discussion, please don't, if you do a search there hasn't been any great info on this for a while and something new might be out there???

To all productive feedback, thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:39 AM
Hummer Veteran

H2Singh is off the scale

I searched the old discussion and cannot get a good grasp of which, if any, air intake system is a good replacement. I am looking for performance gains. Did the Corsa sport exhaust and now want an Intake system or simple air filter replacement.

WHAT has worked for you? Which one, what gains, how much and from where?

I know many of you will jump at the opportunity of bashing this discussion, please don't, if you do a search there hasn't been any great info on this for a while and something new might be out there???

To all productive feedback, thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:29 PM
Elcova Rookie

sabjr is off the scale

I'm looking for the same info, a search didn't really help me. So, I just picked the K&N system, even if it does half of what they say it should be worth it(I will report back on this post). How do you like your exhaust? That is going to be my next purchase. Why did you pick Corsa over the others?
Old 08-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Hummer Deity

Fubar is an unknown quantity at this point

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=search&reqWords=K%26N

Search reslut for K&NK&N Search Result

Search Reslut for Volant
volant

So yes there is plenty of info on the subject.

To answer your question. In my opinion Volant is the way to go although it is one of the most expensive systems. The main reason I like it or went with it is that it is sealed unlike the K&N which exposes the filter to anything that has access to the engine compartment (excess dirt and debris) You will feel an improvement after the install.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:54 PM

ARH1956 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fubar00:
http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=search&reqWords=K%26N

Search reslut for K&NK&N Search Result

Search Reslut for Volant
volant

So yes there is plenty of info on the subject.

To answer your question. In my opinion Volant is the way to go although it is one of the most expensive systems. The main reason I like it or went with it is that it is sealed unlike the K&N which exposes the filter to anything that has access to the engine compartment (excess dirt and debris) You will feel an improvement after the install. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree the Volant is the best choice. It is sealed & if you are determined you must spend a large sum of money for no significant gain the Volant is the way to go. It will perform as well as the stock intake.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:56 PM
Elcova Rookie

sabjr is off the scale

Got the K&N installed, I can really tell the difference. I hope it helps the MPG!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2Singh is off the scale

sabjr,

I went with the Corsa, b/c that is what the dealer had and I did not want any warranty issues. It definitely improves throttle response and sounds real nice. I do not buy their noise cancelling technology claim too much, it does get a little too loud around my normal cruising speed 80-90 mph and I tend to slow down for phone calls cause of the noise. I chose the sport b/c that's all the dealer had in stock that day. The touring is supposedly a little quiter. It does sound so much better outside, reminds me a little of my first car, 1968 Firebird convertible.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Hummer Deity

Fubar is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are/were conserned with noise you should have contacted Corsa Directly and had them drop ship the Touring model to the dealership. The touring is a lot quieter and there is no decernable exhaust noise in the cabin (with windows up) at any speed.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:01 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

I agree with Fubar. If You are going to be fording water the Volant is the only choice in My opion. I run the Airmax Intake from Specialty Performnce Products. I like it as they won SEMA awards for design. It has a swirl type plastic insert in side metal tube that also insulates air from heat. It is after the filter and it helps the air to speed to the intake faster. Before the supercharger I had tried K&N , Corsa, and Airmax. I could tell a definite improvment over the other 2. Now I still run K&N on My Silverado. BUt with supercharger on H2 it really does not matter about a swirl to the fuel as it does not help in forced induction. It will help though if Your not in boost just as the Helix Power tower SPP makes and I run on both My rigs even with the supercharger. Again it does not help any unless Your not in boost. They have done some tests and I have the fortune that they are 20 minutes from where I live and get to go by and hang out to see what they are doing. BUt, anyway they show more improvement in a non boost situation. I still prefer Volant in a water situation over anything though.

These guys have some stuff that will be out after the first of the year for the engine as far as rerouting and cleaning up the engine bay and all the wires. If You go to SEMA look for them they will have a display that they are building the first one which I get to have. They will have a prototype at SEMA. I can honestly say I met these guys June of 04 and they have been great to me. When I got My rig no one had a programmer for 05 because it had changed the software programming. I showed up asking as I had called all the other regulars and the regulars said not for 6 months they just found out the software changed. These guys at SPP asked could they scan the H2 which they did and had Me a free programmer in Sept. 05 3 months before anyone else got one out just for helping them find out and get a jump getting a programmer before the others. I do highly recommend them just because they actaully still believe in the old way of the customer is always right. They are not a huge company so they provide service knowing they are small enough that it is the way they can compete with big guys. Thier programmer the Power Flash was so good Comp Cams bought it late last year to get into the business without starting from scratch. So they are not into the programming for a while with a noncompete clause but, when time comes they will be back with a vengence.
Do not mean to put on a sale pitch here but, when it comes to My Hummer brothers if i find any company as I deal with so many now with the
Hummer customizing company I and Dragon started now I want to tell everyone when i find a great company that cares about the customer. See them at SEMA and if You see Dean there tell Him Rick with the gray H2 sent You by. He knows Me without mentioning the H2 but, it is a running joke as at first every time I called i reminded them that way as who I was and it became a joke. they will grin and say Oh yeah and who knows what else they will say about Me but, they are good people. They have decided to become a sponsor recently but, I have promoted them long before this just happened. It is their service ideas that i promoted them for and a product as good if not better. They wanted My H2 at SEMA but, could not get larger space.

Go by and see this new concept You will be pleased with how it is going to change the look of the engine bay. I have the first prototype on now and the next will be a huge leap from the one I have now. The new one is going to relocate the coil packs and wiring and give the H2 guys a real clean billet look in the engine bay. All the rats nest of wiring is going to be hidden and just look great. I can't wait to get the first full kit for My Mall Queen.
Well hope I have given You guys a new old company to check out. Quality is fantastic and they know performance. They will be helping Me with advice building an H2 that I'm talking to some more sponsor's to raise money to try and set a land speed record with an H2 which will not be easy since it is a box catching the wind. We figure We will just have to over power and I have to Sept. of 06 to do it as that is when salt flats open for 2 weeks to set records. I'm thinking twin turbo's and a sequential type system so We can spool up quick with a small and after a certain RPM go to a larger turbo. Mercedes I believe is coming out with a desiel sequential turbo setup soon. I'm just wondering can detonation be controlled enough in gas to do it also. But, then again I may just throw to Huge garbage can size turbo's and let it rip. Have to go to 3.18 rear gears and different gears in tranny etc. Hard part is You have to have back to back runs with same speed to go in the book and that is why it is so hard and guys go there for 2 weeks to have the full time to do it. Anyway just now learning more about it from the Salt flat club and short on the facts but, will figure it out.

Check out the Airmax intake system by Street and Performance Products. I recommend it.

Sorry for side bar on the subject but, it sort of connected with the air intake and explaining the companies quality work.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 09-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Hummer Professional

DH22G is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the airraid intake setup and everything seems to be awesome here.. it seriously took 5 minutes to install and saw a definite difference in the feel
03 H2 White... too much to list
2003 Malibu Wakesetter VLX -READY FOR THE SUN
Old 09-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

The best air intake is made by Magnacharger.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

DrG is off the scale

I have been considering changing my air intake also but have become concerned in the past week with something I read (here I think) that Hummer had directed the dealers not to replace oil soaked something sensors that are getting wet from the oil needed on some of these elements. Which ones of the air intakes use oil as part of them?
David
Old 09-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klaus:
The best air intake is made by Magnacharger. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Can I borrow that one in the future? Please...
Old 09-06-2005, 10:05 PM
Hummer Professional

Longhorn is off the scale

I have the Volant but I probably wouldn't buy it again - No noticable performance, no measurable mileage gain but it looks awful purdy when you pop the hood.

I'll echo the chorus - "Save your money for a supercharger."
Old 09-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting timing. AEM makes an oil-LESS intake that was favorably featured in Truckin' magazine a while back. They are developing a kit for H2, are local to me, and needed an 04 to test. So guess where my H2 is right now...

Oh yeah, they promised to give me at wheels dyno before&after numbers. Will update.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Most filters in the aftermarket not all, use oil. They are most likely talking about the wire of the Mass Air Flow sensor getting oil on it and not reading the air flow correctly, which helps computer to control air/fuel mix.
I have never had that problem but, if You had a problem You can use alcohol and a Q-tip and gently clean it off.

After cleaning the oil filters and reoiling You are supposed to squeeze all the oil out that can prevent this. If You do not squeeze excess out enough it will not take long for it to lose the excess and then clean the tiny wire.

TAZ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DrG:
I have been considering changing my air intake also but have become concerned in the past week with something I read (here I think) that Hummer had directed the dealers not to replace oil soaked something sensors that are getting wet from the oil needed on some of these elements. Which ones of the air intakes use oil as part of them?
David </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 09-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Elcova Rookie

sabjr is off the scale

After the first full tank of gas with the K&N, I'm up 2 mpg! Not bad.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:19 PM

glennc is off the scale

I put an Airaid Jr. kit on my '05 right after I bought it (3 months ago). It gave me a full mile to the gallon increase (per the computer) and a very slight increase in performance. I definitely recommend it for at least the mileage increase.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. The AEM I have for 2 weeks now does NOT add any measurable performance gain, but does improve mpg -- though in my case it's just .4 gain.

However, I need a quieter ride, and not sure if I can live with the louder intake noise...

Anyone wants a 2-weeks old AEM intake??
Old 09-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klaus:
The best air intake is made by Magnacharger. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Can I borrow that one in the future? Please... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Help yourself Ken... It's always good to pass along the truth.