H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 04-17-2005, 12:24 PM

maz is off the scale

Going to buy a set of after market rims for my H2. Undecided between a 22" or a 24" rim.

Anyone out there have experience regarding the ride on both sizes? As I understand, the ride is rough on a 24" due to the low sidewall.

I wuld hate to go out and buy 22" if the above is not correct as I really want to go 24".

FYI, this is a Sunday vehicle for me as I have '04 with only 215 miles on it.

Thanks for your help.

MAZ
Old 04-17-2005, 12:24 PM

maz is off the scale

Going to buy a set of after market rims for my H2. Undecided between a 22" or a 24" rim.

Anyone out there have experience regarding the ride on both sizes? As I understand, the ride is rough on a 24" due to the low sidewall.

I wuld hate to go out and buy 22" if the above is not correct as I really want to go 24".

FYI, this is a Sunday vehicle for me as I have '04 with only 215 miles on it.

Thanks for your help.

MAZ
Old 04-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

Had 20" Lexani's on our 1st H2. Loved the look but needed better brakes. Currently we have 18" KAOTIC's and love the ride. No upgrade on brakes needed.

Personally, these trucks need meaty tires to look right. Also, no one with 22" or 24" wheels can claim that the ride is even "decent." If this is a weekend truck, why not get something that looks good and rides well?
Attached Images

2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)
Old 04-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

Our current H2 with 18" KAOTIC's
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2005, 11:06 PM

maz is off the scale

Thanks for the input. Personally I really do not really like the look of a nice rim with a huge sidewall. Your units look really great, but not the look the I am trying to capture.

As I said my H2 has 215 miles on it and I really only use it on an odd Sunday with the biggest trip I have taken is to a local 7/11 for milk. Seriously.

FYI, I went from the stock 16" to a 20" on my Expedition and did not really notice much of a difference in the ride. If anything, I like the rider better. I do understand there is cetainly a difference between a 20" and 24". That is the reason why I pose this question to the experts.

Is there much of a difference do you think between the ride on a 22" vs. 24" wheel?

I am leaning to a 24" but I will consider a 22" if the ride is much worse in one of these units.

Comments from the knowledged would be appreciated.

MAZ
Old 04-17-2005, 11:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

trashguy is off the scale

once you go over a 22 ,your limited to tire size options.if you want to keep the same diameter as stock youll need 325/50/22 or a
35x12.50 22. once you goto 24s last i seen was just 305/35/24.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

WhiteH2Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want ill get you pics of my 22's Ill be willing to sell them if you want. Basically brand new used for like 2,000 miles. Let me know.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:25 AM

Salt Lake City HUMMER is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kacyk:
Also, no one with 22" or 24" wheels can claim that the ride is even "decent." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey I have 22's on an 03' and the ride is just as good as stock rims,I have an 05' with stock rims on it.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2005, 04:04 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

I admit I never had 22's on my Hummer but I did have 22" wheels on the Yukon with 325/40-22 Tires. The ride and braking were so bad that I stepped down to 20's. Granted the H2's 35" tire diameter will allow for larger wheels but I would not go beyond 22's.

But, only if ride is a consideration. Since you seem to have a weekend truck, have at it. Just out of curiosity, wouldn't you want to raise it and put 37" MTR's and go wheeling on the weekends?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

trashguy is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WhiteH2Kid:
If you want ill get you pics of my 22's Ill be willing to sell them if you want. Basically brand new used for like 2,000 miles. Let me know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what kind and size of rims/tires do u have?
trashguy24@aol.com
Old 04-19-2005, 04:46 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

Maz,

Found a pic of some 22's with Nitto Terra Grapplers. Your choice of tires gets spotty with 24's.

My brother, who is a Director at Edmunds.com spent some time with a H2 with 22" wheels. He said the ride was similar to my 20" (so I stand corrected). But he did add that the owner had to put larger brakes to stop the beast with 22's.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2005, 11:17 AM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kacyk:
My brother, who is a Director at Edmunds.com spent some time with a H2 with 22" wheels. He said the ride was similar to my 20" (so I stand corrected). But he did add that the owner had to put larger brakes to stop the beast with 22's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is bigger brakes really needed with 22's? Why is that? Can somebody explain...

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W1N:

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two reasons:

1. You are adding mechanical advantage (leverage) by adding a larger wheel.
2. You are adding weight to the rotating assembly (inertia).
Old 04-22-2005, 12:55 PM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klaus:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W1N:

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two reasons:

1. You are adding mechanical advantage (leverage) by adding a larger wheel.
2. You are adding weight to the rotating assembly (inertia). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Klaus!
Old 04-22-2005, 09:02 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Great job Klaus!! Really the best and simplest explination I have seen. Will use it. I was intial told do not go over 18" or it will eat your brakes up so fast You will be sick. I wanted 20" as I like the 325/60X20 and was told it will be OK but, beyond that trouble. i did go 20" Love Them hadles better and ride is as good. BUT, I had better start slowing down way sooner than i did with the factory or it will be into the intersection before You know it. That is the reason i need to go to bigger brakes at some point. As long as I am carefull no problem and love them. If You go 24" i can not imagine You not having a problem at some time. The 20" are hard to get slowed down.
You will eat the pads and rotors up unless You drive like a little blue haired lady on Sunday morning Church trip.
Also the more rim you have usually the less tire you have which means the less side wall you have which means a harder ride you have.
Goofy I know but, true most of the time. Had a very good tire man tell Me that from which over the 20 years Ihave done business with him has never steered Me wrong and He is not and old man just sarted a business very young. I'm considerably older. He is just very good about not letting You get into a dangerous situation.
Thanks Klaus great explanation.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges