H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 09-11-2003, 03:36 AM
Hummer Novice

DrScoles is off the scale

I've had the truck for two weeks now, the headlights are definitely too low..I keep them on brights and oncoming cars don't seem to care..... Even on brights, don't seem high enough...

How do you adjust these things?? The manual doesnt say, my service guy is on vacation... There is one small hole in fron that may be an adjustment screw, or do I have to shim the mounting bolts in the back??

Is this a common problem??
Thanks, Mike
Old 09-11-2003, 03:36 AM
Hummer Novice

DrScoles is off the scale

I've had the truck for two weeks now, the headlights are definitely too low..I keep them on brights and oncoming cars don't seem to care..... Even on brights, don't seem high enough...

How do you adjust these things?? The manual doesnt say, my service guy is on vacation... There is one small hole in fron that may be an adjustment screw, or do I have to shim the mounting bolts in the back??

Is this a common problem??
Thanks, Mike
Old 09-11-2003, 05:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

Darren is off the scale

Hi,

I have the same problem - though mine are set waaaay too high - oncoming drivers always flash at me even when I'm on low - so I'd also be really interested to discover how to adjust.

Darren
Old 09-11-2003, 05:44 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Super easy, 2 minutes. Take an Allen wrench(sp?), put it in that hole right next to the headlight and turn. Park it in front of your garage door or a wall and shine the lights on it. I think 10 feet? doesn't really matter. You can see the light beam lower or move higher. Some says 4 turns, but I don't think that is fixed number, every vehicle is different. Try different settings out and readjust. I had my wife follows me in the Hummer, then coming towards me, etc... until I got it right.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:58 AM
Hummer Veteran

Darren is off the scale

Hey Mac !,

Thanks for that - I'll do it tonight when I get home!

Hope you are well.

Best regards

Darren
Old 09-11-2003, 02:36 PM

Apex IV is off the scale

Phil:

Do you have any pics relative to horizontal adjustments? Mine are "cross-eyed"... :-\

Thanks in advance.

-Randall Garrett-
Old 09-11-2003, 03:04 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to use a torx screwdriver to adjust mine.

2003 H2 Hummer, Yellow,Polished Whipple Supercharged, Edelbrock ceramics, catback,18" Ambush w/mudders,lots of goodies!
Y2K Corvette Millennium Yellow Convert/Blk/Blk, B&B headers, B&B Tri-Flo's, H-Tech MAG,GMS MAF, RM Racing TwinFlow.
1994 Chev 454 Suburban, Blown, Doug Thorley
1970 Trans Am, balanced, blue printed, Hooker ceramics

www.4swimwear.com
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:15 PM
Hummer Veteran

Darren is off the scale

Guys,

Tried today to lower the position of the beam on the dipped main lamps - used the prescribed method and it worked great for the drivers side headlamp - the other side turned and turned but the beam did not drop - the headlamp wont seem to dip any further - so right now I've got one pointing groundward and one pointing skyward! - the rubber outer seal seems a little puckered on the offending lamp - is there a compensatory bolt somewhere I've got to loosen in order to let the adjuster do it's thing?

Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks

Darren
Old 09-12-2003, 05:47 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Your problem most likely was caused by driving on the wrong side of the road for too long, this confused the Hummer. It is easy to fix, start driving on the right side of the road from now on, pretty soon the Hummer should be back to normal, or you won't have a Hummer left to adjust the light for anyway. If driving on the right side is not possible, another alternative solution is to start speaking to your Hummer with normal American English, it is important that whoever and whenever talking in the Hummer, everyone has to do the same, speak American. Not hard at all.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:53 PM
Hummer Expert

Andy C is off the scale

NORMAL American English - Git y'alls lights fixed there buddy cos I sure yoos a hankering to git on the tracck agin.

I rest my case

03 Lux, Manik Racks, and yes I bought "The Yellow One"
Old 09-12-2003, 07:31 PM
Hummer Expert

Andy C is off the scale

Ah but is he a Makam or a Sand Dancer.

(No offence Darren - I used to live in Whitley Bay as a kid)
03 Lux, Manik Racks, and yes I bought "The Yellow One"
Old 09-15-2003, 05:21 AM
Hummer Veteran

Darren is off the scale

Gents,

I don't think that the adjuster has dropped off it's thread - the beam can be raised normally - it just seems to not lower further than the current point.

Funnily enough, I believe Mac's point has a bearing! - the lamp I am having difficulty with is the passenger side unit - the alignment of the lamp has been set at pretty much MAXIMUM - LEFT - in other words when the vehicle has been set up to drive on PROPER roads ! (i.e. on the left!) - the importers have attempted to align the beams with a beam pattern more offset to the left (so as not to glare oncoming drivers) - I believe that in adjusting this lens to MAXIMUM left (and this is mainly the PASSENGER side - the driver side will be OK pointing pretty much straight forward)- they have in turn limited the amount of downward adjustment.

Anyway I'' be darned if I'm going to start ripping light units out and dropping the grille off - it will have to wait until the vehicle goes back to the dealers for it's next service - they can sort it!

On other related subjects - having spent a great deal of time in the States I can easily drop into a mid-west accent if need be - but it seems my H2 is very keen on my "Queens English" - however most of all it appreciates the dulcet tones of the Geordie accent - which of course I can also drop into if need be!

And Andy I'm glad to say I'm a true Geordie (i.e. born within sound of the bells of Newcastle's Cathedrals) - please don't mention the "M" word again - and what the hell is a Sand Dancer (I'm guessing someone from Whitley Bay?)

Darren
Old 09-16-2003, 03:51 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

A few weeks ago during a party at my home, my vehicles were blocked by guests' vehicles, I drove a guest's X5 parked near the gate to pick up my son 3 miles away. I noticed immediately that her headlights are WAY WAY too high, blinding the oncoming cars, in fact they pointed directly at the oncoming driver. Usually I rarely encounter any other vehicles on my mountain roads at night, but everyone decided to be on those roads that evening, and all going in the opposite direction. I was flashed by everyone going down the hills and up the hills.

When we got home I mentioned this to the guest. She said "yeah, they are really high, everyone flashes their light at me. HA HA HA!" I found out it has been that way for over a year and she has no intention of fixing the problem.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

Darren is off the scale

Mac,

My wife's X5 was exactly the same - she took it into the dealer 3 days after delivery and they sorted it out - in the case of your lady friend - it's people like that who give BMW drivers a bad name!

Darren