H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-15-2005, 09:54 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm about ready to blow a gasket!!!!
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in674120.shtml
States Mull Taxing Drivers By Mile

CORVALLIS, Ore., Feb. 14, 2005

Taxing By The Mile

"Drivers will get charged for how many miles they use the roads, and it's as simple as that."
David Kim,
engineer

(CBS)*College student Jayson Just commutes an odometer-spinning 2,000 miles a month. As CBS News Correspondent Sandra Hughes reports, his monthly gas bill once topped his car payment.

"I was paying about $500 a month," says Just.

So Just bought a fuel efficient hybrid and said goodbye to his gas-guzzling BMW.

And what kind of mileage does he get?

"The EPA estimate is 60 in the city, 51 on the highway," says Just.

And that saves him almost $300 a month in gas. It's great for Just but bad for the roads he's driving on, because he also pays a lot less in gasoline taxes which fund highway projects and road repairs. As more and more hybrids hit the road, cash-strapped states are warning of rough roads ahead.

Officials in car-clogged California are so worried they may be considering a replacement for the gas tax altogether, replacing it with something called "tax by the mile."

Seeing tax dollars dwindling, neighboring Oregon has already started road testing the idea.

"Drivers will get charged for how many miles they use the roads, and it's as simple as that," says engineer David Kim.

Kim and his team at Oregon State University equipped a test car with a global positioning device to keep track of its mileage. Eventually, every car would need one.

"So, if you drive 10 miles you will pay a certain fee which will be, let's say, one tenth of what someone pays if they drive 100 miles," says Kim.

The new tax would be charged each time you fill up. A computer inside the gas pump would communicate with your car's odometer to calculate how much you owe.

The system could also track how often you drive during rush hour and charge higher fees to discourage peak use. That's an idea that could break the bottleneck on California's freeways.

"We're getting a lot of interest from other states," says Jim Whitty of the Oregon Department of Transportation. "They're watching what we're doing.

"Transportation officials across the country are concerned about what's going to happen with the gas tax revenues."

Privacy advocates say it's more like big brother riding on your bumper, not to mention a disincentive to buy fuel-efficient cars.

"It's not fair for people like me who have to commute, and we don't have any choice but take the freeways," says Just. "We shouldn't have to be taxed."

But tax-by-mile advocates say it may be the only way to ensure that fuel efficiency doesn't prevent smooth sailing down the road.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:54 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Taxing By The Mile

"Drivers will get charged for how many miles they use the roads, and it's as simple as that."
David Kim,
engineer

(CBS)*College student Jayson Just commutes an odometer-spinning 2,000 miles a month. As CBS News Correspondent Sandra Hughes reports, his monthly gas bill once topped his car payment.

"I was paying about $500 a month," says Just.

So Just bought a fuel efficient hybrid and said goodbye to his gas-guzzling BMW.

And what kind of mileage does he get?

"The EPA estimate is 60 in the city, 51 on the highway," says Just.

And that saves him almost $300 a month in gas. It's great for Just but bad for the roads he's driving on, because he also pays a lot less in gasoline taxes which fund highway projects and road repairs. As more and more hybrids hit the road, cash-strapped states are warning of rough roads ahead.

Officials in car-clogged California are so worried they may be considering a replacement for the gas tax altogether, replacing it with something called "tax by the mile."

Seeing tax dollars dwindling, neighboring Oregon has already started road testing the idea.

"Drivers will get charged for how many miles they use the roads, and it's as simple as that," says engineer David Kim.

Kim and his team at Oregon State University equipped a test car with a global positioning device to keep track of its mileage. Eventually, every car would need one.

"So, if you drive 10 miles you will pay a certain fee which will be, let's say, one tenth of what someone pays if they drive 100 miles," says Kim.

The new tax would be charged each time you fill up. A computer inside the gas pump would communicate with your car's odometer to calculate how much you owe.

The system could also track how often you drive during rush hour and charge higher fees to discourage peak use. That's an idea that could break the bottleneck on California's freeways.

"We're getting a lot of interest from other states," says Jim Whitty of the Oregon Department of Transportation. "They're watching what we're doing.

"Transportation officials across the country are concerned about what's going to happen with the gas tax revenues."

Privacy advocates say it's more like big brother riding on your bumper, not to mention a disincentive to buy fuel-efficient cars.

"It's not fair for people like me who have to commute, and we don't have any choice but take the freeways," says Just. "We shouldn't have to be taxed."

But tax-by-mile advocates say it may be the only way to ensure that fuel efficiency doesn't prevent smooth sailing down the road.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

intimidator is off the scale

a toggle switch in line with the speedometer will solve this problem.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

JohnB.GWU. is off the scale

and if you go the toggle swith route, remember to pay the exact amount of mileage in gas you "toggled off" so that big brother doesnt supoena your gas credit card statement and screw you come tax season if they ever audit you.
05\' Yellow Lux - BACK TO YELLOW BABY!!!
04 S55 Benz w/Brabus Tuning
Old 02-15-2005, 10:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

JohnB.GWU. is off the scale

and if you go the toggle swith route, remember to pay the exact amount of mileage in gas you "toggled off" IN CASH so that big brother doesnt supoena your gas credit card statement and screw you come tax season if they ever audit you.
05\' Yellow Lux - BACK TO YELLOW BABY!!!
04 S55 Benz w/Brabus Tuning
Old 02-15-2005, 10:43 PM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

If they remove the gas tax on gas and replace it with tax by the mile then that could possibly be better for Hummer owners since we don't travel as many miles (per galon) as those Hybrids. Of course they would most likely not remove the gas tax and just add the tax by the mile tax!

Old 02-15-2005, 10:44 PM
Hummer Guru

Spike is an unknown quantity at this point

Everytime you turn around these cocksuckers have their hand in your pocket.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:45 PM

LasVegas is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRTYFN:

Taxing By The Mile
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DRTYFN Location: Oregon Shame, shame, shame.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:51 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Wouldn't it be just poetic if they only tax the Hybrid owners since they are the main reason some states are strapped for cash on road repairs. Hell, potholes never bothered an H2.

My Video Collectionez

Old 02-15-2005, 11:04 PM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

That means the those of us that offroad, will pay close to nothing. Gas will be basically tax free while we are wheeling!
Finally, something in the offroad enthusiasts favor!
I agree that that tax would suck, especially in Texas, where you travel forever to get to the next town, and where half a long distance road trip is spent reaching the border!

I guess we need to have a talk with W. about exempting Texas from that tax bill!

Ric-H2
Old 02-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Hummer Deity

Fubar is an unknown quantity at this point

+++++++++

Ok here is proof positive that they stopped teaching common sense in school years ago and it also confirms that that today’s college graduates have a degree not worth the paper it is written on.
Here's my point business in California are packing up and moving on or simply going out of business due to taxes and all the regulations they must meet to do business in the state. Now your going to further tax the people that need to get to there jobs so that the business can make money from there labor to pay its taxes to the state. What a messed up world we live in.. Do they really think that employers are going to allow there work force to come in at off hours in order to help the state? Do they really believe that the employees will be willing to work swing shifts? I don't think so. This thing will get shot down before it ever gets started. Still it pisses me off that some so called college graduate thought it up in the fist place.
Ok I'm done ranting
Old 02-15-2005, 11:57 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Dennis, I hope you have an extra room. I'm moving to Canada if they pass that BS tax.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:19 AM

4churchill is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timgco:
Dennis, I hope you have an extra room. I'm moving to Canada if they pass that BS tax. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh boy robert redford junior has just arrived.....although it could happen, the way our government works it would take years to getthis program off the ground, and imagine the dissent if we had to retrofit our cars with devices tha WE have to pay for, for the first time in my life i think i'd actually WANT to sic the ACLU on them

www.HUMMERNut.net
Old 02-16-2005, 12:31 AM

LasVegas is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DennisAJC:
Wouldn't it be just poetic if they only tax the Hybrid owners since they are the main reason some states are strapped for cash on road repairs. Hell, potholes never bothered an H2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This will never happen Dennis...thanks to that wonderful George W. Bush
Old 02-16-2005, 12:51 AM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

If these kinds of things aggravate you, it's time for you to join the National Motorists Association - The NRA for motorists.

http://www.motorists.org/

They are the organization that fought and helped kill the evil 55 MPH national speed limit. I've been a member for 20 years.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:38 AM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

I am not sure what I should think. I tend to drive at least 500 or more miles a week for work. So they would tax my company for me to make a living. This will never fly.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:19 PM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

This will never pass. At least not under the current administration - it's double taxation. We're already paying taxes to use, construct and repair the roads.

There is going to have to be a loophole for non-paved roads that are not government funded or supported. You can't tax private roadways....which means, like Ric says, it'll be a good time to own an H2. I can easily arrange for 99% of my driving to be on non-paved highways if this law goes into effect.

Stacy
Old 02-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Or maybe they should add the:
NON GAS GUZZLER TAX to the purchase price of those hybrids!

Old 02-16-2005, 01:37 PM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

From what I understood they wanted to elimitate gas tax and just tax per mile.

If they don't then yes it would be double taxation which is perfectly legal in this country. Inheritance tax is double taxation.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

If they ever did try to do this using GPS, it would be simple to defeat. Every GPS system has to have some type of antenna, which all can be disabled easily one way or another. And if this was done, they wouldn't know for sure if you disabled it since GPS can't locate you in tunnels, parking garages, some personal garages. All they would know is they can't see you.