H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Elcova Rookie

carz80am is on a distinguished road
Default Wheels/Tires>Gears, Exhaust, Intake, Warranty?

As, I've been checking out past threads, it looks like everyone recommends gears. I'm planning on put on some 22's with 37 inch tires, but before I do, I wanted to do exhaust and intake. Also, I see that 37's will fit, but there may be minor rubbing. Recommend a leveling kit? I still want to have decent performace after putting on bigger wheels, so does everyone think gears, intake, and exhaust would be sufficient? Also, Is this stuff going to void the factory warranty?Any opinions would be appreciated. Thinking about buying one of those plows that go on the front tow hitch as well. I spent over $1500the last few days to pay someone else to plow, mine as well keep one around. Leveling kit, gears, exhaust, and intake brands that you've had good experience with? Thanks
Old 12-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

edbrick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wheels/Tires>Gears, Exhaust, Intake, Warranty?

I wouldnt touch my car until the warranty was done. If you listen to the SEMA people they will try to tell you "oh they have to prove that the problem in question was caused by an aftermarket part" Bull Crap. My wife is a paralegal for the largest lemon law lawer on the east coast and GM or chrysler, which is even worse, will find any excuse to deny a warranty claim. If you have to claim lemon sure you MIGHT win but it will take more than two years to get any relief. By then most people give up and trade in their cars. So if this is a toy and you can deal with the hassle then sure mod it. If you need it every day dont touch it.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:48 AM
Hummer Expert

ROUSHDEMON is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbrick
I wouldnt touch my car until the warranty was done. If you listen to the SEMA people they will try to tell you "oh they have to prove that the problem in question was caused by an aftermarket part" Bull Crap. My wife is a paralegal for the largest lemon law lawer on the east coast and GM or chrysler, which is even worse, will find any excuse to deny a warranty claim. If you have to claim lemon sure you MIGHT win but it will take more than two years to get any relief. By then most people give up and trade in their cars. So if this is a toy and you can deal with the hassle then sure mod it. If you need it every day dont touch it.

dude.... you sound like one of those dudes at car shows who get a brand new car and they reeeeeeally want new wheels and "hook it up and look Awwwsaaaammm" but they dont do sh*t and wait like 50K miles until their stupid looking stock tires are worn to the wire and then get a new set of wheels and tires that they wanted 4 years prior and now their new car model is no longer as cool..... and didn't enjoy what they wanted for 4 years That's just...... weak....boohoooooo, big freaking deal...

If you're gonna play the game you gotta have balls, take risks... live and learn, if not none of us would ever get any mods done... and that would suck huge balls.
20x12 black Rockstars & 35"s. missed.
2005 Black Mustang Roush Stage 1 #05-1058:
Showcar, Procharged 580HP, 20" Gianelle's, Prokit, 1/8 in 7.56secs.
2009 Silver Cadillac CTS Premium
White interior, lots of future mods.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:04 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUSHDEMON
dude.... you sound like one of those dudes at car shows who get a brand new car and they reeeeeeally want new wheels and "hook it up and look Awwwsaaaammm" but they dont do sh*t and wait like 50K miles until their stupid looking stock tires are worn to the wire and then get a new set of wheels and tires that they wanted 4 years prior and now their new car model is no longer as cool..... and didn't enjoy what they wanted for 4 years That's just...... weak....boohoooooo, big freaking deal...

If you're gonna play the game you gotta have balls, take risks... live and learn, if not none of us would ever get any mods done... and that would suck huge balls.

X2....

I mean seriously, have you ever gone to a new car dealership in the last 5 years? Even dealerships put liftkits, tires, gears, superchargers, etc, etc on brand new cars.

The Moss Magnuson act does work. I'm going through it right now. I track an '09 JCW Mini cooper. The car has a tune and produces over 250 ftlbs of torque at the wheels. (the equivalent to some small block chevys)

The car is only 5 months old and a month ago while at the track, I melted a hole in the valve cover. The car was towed to the nearest dealership (100 miles away) and the dealership said they had never seen it.

So they turned it to the warranty rep. He said they had never seen that happen.

So they turned it to a field engineer from BMW. He had never seen it. He noticed I had an exhaust, boost tubes, bigger intercooler and then found out that I had the ECM retuned.

They denied the warranty and in fact, voided my entire drivetrain warranty. (I've got 15K miles on the car)

That was a month ago. Last week I drove to FL. for a retune (for more power) and on the way back, I burned another hole in the valvecover.

Since I had no warranty, I had to fix it myself. When I took it apart, it turns out that 2 of the 3 bolts had backed themselves out (completely as in gone) of the turbo holding the exhaust. The third remaining bolt was backing itself out but was still kind of there.

Point is, I contacted the dealership and they are in the process of restoring my warranty.

They won't pay for the damage (because the exhaust wasn't factory) but they are going to restore my warranty. I proved that the cause of the problem wasn't the tune which is the reason they voided my warranty.

Anyway, to the OP poster. the few modifications to your truck that you want to do are minor. Changing gears won't void your warranty what they will do is not cover the related part if there was damage from the gears.

I'll give you an example. My last H2 I had installed supercharger, gears, 38's (the exact same setup as my present H2)

When the guy installed the gears, they didn't set them up right. They locked up and broke my front diff.

Though I didn't have warranty (too many miles) the manufacturer wouldn't have voided my warranty, they just would have voided the diff or any part of the drivetrain that would have been affected by the gears if anything else would have happened.

Anyway, enjoy your truck, make the mods you want, just don't do anything wierd (NOS, etc, etc)

Normal mods like supercharger, gears and tires are minor and when installed correctly, the odds of having a problem are no more or less than it being stock. (I sold my old H2 with 114K miles and never had any problems)

In fact, in two weeks, I'm sending my present H2 (which is still under warranty) and having them pull the engine and install the Duramax diesel conversion.

Just do it....

Mark
Old 12-24-2009, 05:08 AM
Hummer Expert

ROUSHDEMON is on a distinguished road

Amen brotha!
20x12 black Rockstars & 35"s. missed.
2005 Black Mustang Roush Stage 1 #05-1058:
Showcar, Procharged 580HP, 20" Gianelle's, Prokit, 1/8 in 7.56secs.
2009 Silver Cadillac CTS Premium
White interior, lots of future mods.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Elcova Rookie

carz80am is on a distinguished road

I see both sides, i had an 04 ext and had bigger wheels/tires and the front differential went out, they still replaced it under warranty on the simple fact that the dealership does it for some cars they are selling. Seeing some of the mods you guys do, mine are relatively small. I think I'm going to go ahead with the 22's and 37', exhaust, intake, and maybe do the gears afterwards. Any brands you guys had good luck with? thanks for all your input
Old 12-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

edbrick is on a distinguished road

I mod my car but I have put up with alot of bull****. I bought a new 2007 jeep wrangler. Within 2000 miles it had been in the shop twice for the transmission squeeling badly after shifting and the check engine light coming on. At around 4000 miles I put a spacer lift and 35's on and continued to have problems after that. Guess what they blamed on the transmission problem. Thats right my tires. Long story short after two years I had to settle my case for two grand. Traded the car in and got rid of the problem. Like I stated previously my wife deals with this everyday. Just trying to let the guy know the risks.