H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-25-2008, 12:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

SummitUp is on a distinguished road
Default PROBLEM WITH COGNITO PITMAN/IDLER KIT

A couple of weeks ago I installed the Cognito UCA leveling kit and also the Cognito Pitman/Idler Arm support kit. After installing the pitman/idler support kit, while the truck was still up on the jack stands, I was testing the feel of the steering lock to lock and noticed what I consider a potentially serious problem:

At full right hand turn at full lock I noticed that the turn limit "bump" stops on the left (driver's side) spindle/steering knuckle were lacking a 1/4" of making contact. What I found really disturbed me. The Cognito idler support arm was hard up against the center link, right where the steering stabilizer is mounted. This is bad news because the mechanical advantage of this scissor like action puts an extreme amount of sideways shear stress on the the idler arm mounting stud that the center link is mounted on. This point of contact is now acting as the turn limit bump stop!

I contacted Cognito immediately about this (emailed them photos also), and they told me that my alignment was probably in an extreme toe-out situation, and after a professional alignment the problem would be corrected. Wrong! I knew this wasn't the case as I checked the toe-in toe-out with a tape measure and it showed a 1/16" toe-in which is within specs.

Because I installed the Cognito UCA's and cranked up the torsion bar keys an alignment was called for anyway, so I just just had a professional alignment done yesterday, which is why I waited to post this. The alignment DID NOT correct this problem. I will contact Cognito again concerning this, but I don't see any easy fix for this. Today, with my right angle grinder, I ground a notch in the center link at the point of contact and also ground a little off the Cognito idler support arm. This has fixed that point of contact but the spindle turn limit stop still lacks about an 1/8" of making contact, because now the outboard side of the Cognito support arm is contacting the front frame cross member. Also in an extreme left turn at lock the Cognito pitman support arm also contacts the front frame cross member on the left side and prevents the right side spindle turn limit stop from engaging by about 1/16". The spindle turn limit stops need to take the stress of a full lock turn, not the Cognito components, especially in extreme off-roading situations.

At any rate I urge anyone who has installed the Cognito pitman/idler support arm kit to remove your front skid plate ASAP and do an inspection. I can't believe that my '05 H2 is unique in some way. If this is a problem with my ride, I'm betting it's a problem with your ride too. I'd sure like to find out!

edit: Actually you don't really need to remove the skid plate, just turn the steering lock to lock and look underneath to see if the turn limit stops are making contact. If you have this problem, please post your experience here, I'll be contacting Cognito about this next Monday. I also started this same topic over at the ******* Forums.

[IMG]http://www.*******club.com/forum/download/file.php?id=15599[/IMG]

Last edited by SummitUp : 06-25-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:59 AM
Hummer Veteran

Default Re: PROBLEM WITH COGNITO PITMAN/IDLER KIT

OK, I found this situation unacceptable and I had no choice but to address this problem in the quickest easiest way. What I did was fabricate adjustable turn limit stops on my H2 (on both sides). I'm now confident that there will be no abnormal stresses applied to the Cognito support arms, and a little bonus is If I go with 37" tires I wont have to worry about them rubbing the front stabilizer bar at full lock! :lol:

If anyone else who's installed the Cognito Pitman/Idler support kit has this problem, please post your experience here!

At any rate, as the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words, so I'll just let the photos tell the story:

[IMG]http://www.*******club.com/forum/download/file.php?id=15641[/IMG]
Old 06-25-2008, 04:07 AM
Hummer Veteran

Rhyno is off the scale

I have the same problem as SummitUp. Thanks for the post by the way!! I wouldn't have known there was a problem without it. I do not have the Cognito UCA's on my truck. The shop that installed my stuff is going to call Cognito and see what they say which will probably be the same as what they said to SummitUp. My shop will be looking into different options to fix this problem!!
-20" Rockstar wheels
-MagnaCharger S/C
Old 06-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Sincerest thanks for the warning and thorough explanation, SummitUp. I just recently had the Cognito kit installed, so now I have some checking to do this weekend. And Rhyno, thanks for adding in your knowledge as well...a second case of the same thing let's me know that I need to take this seriously.

It's funny, a person like me comes to this site thinking it's a safe bet to go with what's recommended, assuming most members here have expertise in all things Hummer. This kit sure came across as the next best thing since sliced bread, and I feel stupid for blindly running with the crowd.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Hummer Expert

CONRAD II is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSUT
It's funny, a person like me comes to this site thinking it's a safe bet to go with what's recommended, assuming most members here have expertise in all things Hummer. This kit sure came across as the next best thing since sliced bread, and I feel stupid for blindly running with the crowd.

Reflections of HUMMER life by TXSUT

03' White 2 Door H1 Pickup w/ 2in. body lift
05' BLACK SUT SLANTBACK Magnacharged w\ 12lb pulley, 6in. Fabtech lift, tierods, BUILT 4L80E tranny, 5.13 gears
66' VETTE STINGRAY
12' DODGE RAM 2500 CUMMINS 4X4 W/ FRONT & REAR LOCKERS
07' Z06
Old 06-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONRAD II
Reflections of HUMMER life by TXSUT

Old 06-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

Update:

It appears that the probable reason for this problem is that there were variations in the castings of the the spindle/steering knuckles and or LCA's in certain production runs on the GM assembly line, resulting in the turn limit stops engaging in different relative positions on some H2's. This would also explain why some H2 owners experience significant tire rubbing on the stabilizer bar with stock tires at full left or right steering lock, while some owners don't experience tire rubbing even with 37" tires!

The stock tires on my H2 always rubbed at full lock, go figure...

Last edited by SummitUp : 06-26-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:09 AM
Hummer Professional

Metallic Red is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: PROBLEM WITH COGNITO PITMAN/IDLER KIT

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP, I will keep this in mind for future install.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:32 AM
Hummer Novice

JPrusinowski is off the scale

Thanks for the great info guys! This is unbelievable to me. Any word back from Cognito? I just purchased the Moog stuff and the Support kit (Cognito) to be installed shortly. Now I am concerned to say the least! I bought the support Kit from Norcal, I wonder if they are aware. I hope I can return if it does indeed turn out to be an issue. Glad know one got hurt as this is potentially very serious.

Thanks again, please keep us posted on your progress.

Jeff
Old 07-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

Rhyno is off the scale

My shop that did my install contacted Cognito and they said that there is nothing wrong with there product!!

I will be taking my H2 into the shop on Monday and they will look into fixing the problem front the Steering kit
-20" Rockstar wheels
-MagnaCharger S/C
Old 07-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Hummer Authority

All I have done so far is what SummitUp recommended..."turn the steering lock to lock and look underneath to see if the turn limit stops are making contact" and mine are NOT making contact, there's about a 1/4" gap at full lock. So, I guess that confirms that I have the same issue. Guess it's back the shop we go.

I've never had any tire rubbing issues, though, even with 37s (except on the fender well).
Old 07-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno
My shop that did my install contacted Cognito and they said that there is nothing wrong with there product!!
Yes, this is the same attitude I'm getting. They're in denial if you ask me.

Here's the thing:
I don't think the potential seriousness of this problem has been fully appreciated by Cognito. If even only a small percentage of H2's have this problem, and if just one of these experiences a steering failure resulting in an accident or injury because of this potential design defect, Cognito will be liable for a major lawsuit. Cognito needs to take this seriously and investigate this. This denial stance they're taking could cost them big time. If the word could only be gotten out on this I know more H2's with this problem would surface. I again urge anyone with the Cognito support arm kit to inspect their ride ASAP!

Quote:
I will be taking my H2 into the shop on Monday and they will look into fixing the problem front the Steering kit
Quote:
All I have done so far is what SummitUp recommended..."turn the steering lock to lock and look underneath to see if the turn limit stops are making contact" and mine are NOT making contact, there's about a 1/4" gap at full lock. So, I guess that confirms that I have the same issue. Guess it's back the shop we go.

Guys, please keep us informed and post your eventual resolutions to this problem.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Hummer Authority

Question about the "turn limit stop" in a stock application: Do those two surfaces actually touch when at full lock? Only reason I ask, besides being ignorant, is that it seems to me had mine been touching prior to the Cognito kit, it seems like I'd see some wear marks on the mating surfaces. To me, it looks like they have never made contact, no wear marks whatsoever.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Question about the "turn limit stop" in a stock application: Do those two surfaces actually touch when at full lock? Only reason I ask, besides being ignorant, is that it seems to me had mine been touching prior to the Cognito kit, it seems like I'd see some wear marks on the mating surfaces. To me, it looks like they have never made contact, no wear marks whatsoever.

Yes they do, but it's not as though the turn limit stops are pounding together with hammer like blows when you turn the steering to it's full extent. Also they stay fairly rusty considering wet road conditions. But they should make contact at full left and right turn... they serve an important function.

But since your stops are lacking a 1/4" of touching, you really need to eliminate any doubt concerning this and remove your front skid plate (it's not hard to do) and inspect the Cognito components at full left and right turns. You've seen my photos so you know what to look for.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Hummer Authority

Thanks SU, I'll do that. My truck is no longer a daily driver, so I get a bit lazy when addressing issues like this...but I'll report back asap.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Pete
Old 07-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

Rhyno is off the scale

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
-20" Rockstar wheels
-MagnaCharger S/C
Old 07-29-2008, 12:11 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
?????????????????????????????????
Old 07-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

Rhyno is off the scale

SummitUp, My shop did the same thing that you did to limit the steering. They installed nut's that you can adjust to limit the steering from hitting. I did not trim the Cognito support arms. I did lose a bit of turn radius
-20" Rockstar wheels
-MagnaCharger S/C
Old 07-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Hummer Authority

Finally got up under my truck this weekend...same problem.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
SummitUp, My shop did the same thing that you did to limit the steering. They installed nut's that you can adjust to limit the steering from hitting. I did not trim the Cognito support arms. I did lose a bit of turn radius
Rhyno, thanks for the update! Can you post a photo showing what your shop did?

Quote:
Finally got up under my truck this weekend...same problem.
TX, what are you planning to do to fix this?

Seems like Cognito should be picking up the tab for these repairs!