H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 08-27-2003, 02:17 PM
Hummer Professional

89vette is off the scale

I saw where the is a TSB on the tailgate latch that caused a rattle. Mine is a rubber squeaking sound. Its not the rubber strikers on the sides of the gate and its not the weather stip. I wanted to post this just in case anyone had a squeakly liftgate and was able to figure out what it was.

03 Sunset H2!
89 Vette
02 Escalade
Old 08-27-2003, 02:17 PM
Hummer Professional

89vette is off the scale

I saw where the is a TSB on the tailgate latch that caused a rattle. Mine is a rubber squeaking sound. Its not the rubber strikers on the sides of the gate and its not the weather stip. I wanted to post this just in case anyone had a squeakly liftgate and was able to figure out what it was.

03 Sunset H2!
89 Vette
02 Escalade
Old 08-27-2003, 06:04 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

You're right about it being a rubber squeaking sound. If you look at the rear of the H2, to the sides of the rear hatch on the bumper there are little pieces of rubber molding that cover the space between the bumper and the body. There are little metal lips that are making contact with the rubber and that makes the noise. My tech(Derrick) spent three days tracking the noise down. All you have to do is take something like a piece of wood and gently bend the lip upward a little bit so it clears the rubber molding. Mine hasn't made a peep since.
Sorry about not posting pics of this, but I can't find my digital camera.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:13 PM
Hummer Professional

89vette is off the scale

DRTYFN Well I'll be darned! You were right! I don't think I would have ever found that or thought it would be so loud inside. I'm so happy I found that squeak. It makes you feel like you just got ripped off by paying so much for a car that squeaks one week after you bought it. To fix mine, I actually notched the rubber out so there is no contact at all. It looks factory and no squeaks. When I posted this topic I almost deleted it because it sounded stupid to ask. I thought what the heck and posted it anyway. Thank you again for taking the time to tell me the fix. I owe you a beer. Actually I'm so psyched I'll get you a 6 pack!

03 Sunset H2!
89 Vette
02 Escalade
Old 08-28-2003, 12:20 AM

bklynantnee is off the scale

Thanks guys, I was ready to sell my truck at an obscene loss due to the loud and annoying squeak in the rear door. Maybe th dealer that made 6K on the sale of my rig can fix it now. Not bad for $70g's. Alot of other problems, but what can you expect from a domestic.

Love my H2, Anthony
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2003, 12:25 AM

austoak is off the scale

I just bought my H-2 a few weeks ago and had the same noise. Brought it in yesterday and the tech fixed the squeaky noise in less than 5 min's. I had him show me what was causing the noise.
It was the bottom edge of the tailgate rubbing against the plastic part of the rear bumper. What he did was put a foam like weather stripping across the inside bottom of the tailgate. The noise is gone.