H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-18-2003, 12:21 AM

2slo4now is off the scale

Hello to all

New to the forum. Coming out of a whipple supercharged Chevy crew cab with gibson headers and exhaust, airaid intake, hypertech supercharger programmer and a 125 hp single fogger NOS system and getting into a H2 is a humbling experience. My new h2 is weak as a popcorn fart. "no offense intended to the folks that think that the h2 has plenty of power."

I would greatly appreciate some feed back about the magna charger and the whipple. Specifically, accurate highway/city MPG and the average hwy speed you drive. "set the cruise at". Boost pressures at full throttle. whether or not you have a programmer flash program installed. Shifting issues? I know that this is a lot to ask but 0-60 mph times would be really cool.

Installation time and cost is of no issue to me.

Also, from all specs I read it seems that the Banks 4 inch mandrel bent exhaust system would be the only way to go with the extra air pumping through the charger.

Thanks in advance for ya'lls help.

Dan from Alabama

PS If your not supercharged and you think that a tornado gives you plenty of power please don't post. Thanks
Old 08-18-2003, 12:21 AM

Hello to all

New to the forum. Coming out of a whipple supercharged Chevy crew cab with gibson headers and exhaust, airaid intake, hypertech supercharger programmer and a 125 hp single fogger NOS system and getting into a H2 is a humbling experience. My new h2 is weak as a popcorn fart. "no offense intended to the folks that think that the h2 has plenty of power."

I would greatly appreciate some feed back about the magna charger and the whipple. Specifically, accurate highway/city MPG and the average hwy speed you drive. "set the cruise at". Boost pressures at full throttle. whether or not you have a programmer flash program installed. Shifting issues? I know that this is a lot to ask but 0-60 mph times would be really cool.

Installation time and cost is of no issue to me.

Also, from all specs I read it seems that the Banks 4 inch mandrel bent exhaust system would be the only way to go with the extra air pumping through the charger.

Thanks in advance for ya'lls help.

Dan from Alabama

PS If your not supercharged and you think that a tornado gives you plenty of power please don't post. Thanks
Old 08-18-2003, 11:32 PM

Bighammer is off the scale

Someone needs to answer this. I need the info also. I'll bump it to the top. Suprised Whipplecharger hasen"t jumped on this one.

See ya
C G

Yellow H2 Lux-Xtreme CAI & Exhaust-Predator Tune
Old 08-19-2003, 02:52 AM

Grim_Smoker is off the scale

I agree, I too am still debating between the two. However I've recently been thinking of going with the Whipple because it'll be easier to get to the high HP like I wanted. If I remember correctly the Magna is actually limited to about 550-600 HP. Can anyone tell me if I'm right or not? Don't know if this matters at all 2slo4now. Anyways...

-Grim

2003 Sunset Metalic Orange H2 - Breathless Stage 2B, HID's, Gobi Rack & Ladder.

2003 Millenium Yellow Z06

2003 Millenium Yellow Z06
Old 08-19-2003, 04:12 AM

whipplecharged is off the scale

OK I can answer this.

I will work on the 0-60 times for you,

Fuel milage will be about the same depending on how you drive but you could increase fuel milage under a towing condition.

The big thng between the Whipple and the Radix kit is the intercooleer.

I had a customer install a Whipple on one H2 and a Magnacharger Radix kit on another H2. The Whipple made 36 more hp with 5.5 lbs of boost than the Radix at 8 lbs of boost. Boyh were running an Xtremeflow exhaust and cold air intake.

The Whipple will need the flash programming to take ot the torque management.

The Radix kit has its own programmer for the vehicle that comes with the kit but it doesn't take out the torque management all the way.

Both kits work great. The biggest thing about the Radix is that it is noisey. It is a roots supercharger so it does make more noise a more heat than a Whipple twin screw supercharger.

Anything else let me know...

Whipplecharged
Old 08-19-2003, 12:03 PM
Hummer Veteran

kdio is off the scale

I installed the Magnacharger on my H2. Both systems are good, but what tipped my final decision was the Magnacharger upgrades the fuel system. The kit includes larger injectors and fuel pump. I felt increasing the HP as much as these systems deliver, it was a better choice.

Kirk

03 H2 Sunset Orange Polished Magna Charger w headers & cold air intake, 37" MTRs w Weld Mountain Crushers, GPS Nav. & 2 rear LCD TVs w DVD, Extreme Tube steps
Old 08-19-2003, 02:52 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the Whipple on my H2 and it works great. I live in the Caif. desert where the temps are now 110+ and I have never had an overheating problem. Yes you do need to have the PCM programmed and you need to have all of the torque management programmed out or you will never be happy with the way it runs. I used Ed Wright for the programming and it turned out great. I also had him firm up the shifts, change the shift points, etc. My mpg has picked up a little possibly 1 mpg. The boost will go to 6 lbs. with the optional pulley. This mod has greatly increased the performance and gives it the power that it should have had in the first place!

2003 H2 Hummer, Yellow,Polished Whipple Supercharged, Edelbrock ceramics, catback,18" Ambush w/mudders,lots of goodies!
Y2K Corvette Millennium Yellow Convert/Blk/Blk, B&B headers, B&B Tri-Flo's, H-Tech MAG,GMS MAF, RM Racing TwinFlow.
1994 Chev 454 Suburban, Blown, Doug Thorley
1970 Trans Am, balanced, blue printed, Hooker ceramics

www.4swimwear.com
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:43 PM

ANGELO D. is off the scale

I HAVE MAGNA CHARGER, NEW CAM, UPGRADED TRANSMISSION, LONG TUBE HEADERS, CORSA OFFROAD SPORT EXHAUST, AND 456/GEARS, 37IN TIRES.
0-60 IN 6/SECONDS, 550/HP, HIGHWAY 80MPH GET 10MPG, HIGHWAY AT 65MPH GETS 12MPG, CITY DRIVING 9MPG. I AVERAGE AROUND 10MPG. I HAVE A HEAVY THROTTLE FOOT.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:02 AM

Thanks for sharing

I too have been doing some research out of this forum for the last few days. The results are below but first I must confess a few things. I own several truck accessory stores in Alabama. We are a whipple installing dealer. As of today we are also a Magnacharger installing dealer. I wanted some real people feedback prior to making a decision on picking up Magnacharger. Thanks for the input.

I talked to a "friend" that is an installing dealer for both in another state. He told me he likes the Magna much better (on the H2). He has installed plenty of each. I mean plenty...

Here is what I found:

Magna uses the factory computer to control 8 new 8.1 liter injectors.
Whipple uses the factory computer to control 8 stock injectors and a seperate black box to control 2 additional injectors.

Magna adds a 175 liter fuel pump to the system to assure that there is not a lean out condition
Whipple does not

Magna uses a intercooler
Whipple does not

Magna is going to be a lot harder to install. For me that does not matter. For the power hungry when your spending 5 large what's a couple hundred more in labor.

I love Whipple chargers and the company. There are many application where they are still my charger of choice. But on my H2, I am going with Magna. I will have it on in a couple of weeks and welcome other H2 owners to come and drive it. This is not a plug

Here is a simple justification of the price difference between both systems. I seems that selling prices are about $1000 apart

6 additional injectors in the Magna $750
Flash programmer included in the Magna $425
Intercooler.......priceless

Dan from Alabama
onefashd@hotmail.com

I will list the following but 1 time

03 H2 lux plus everything
97 Chevy Crew Cab see first post
97 Tahoe 4x4 no charger everything else
99 BMW r1100rt scoot
79 Camaro alcohol drag car "for sale"
40 ft Sea Ray Express
02 Honda XR
and of course a John Deere F510 tractor
Just sold
95 Viper rt10
03 HD V-rod
00 HD softail loaded 140 hp inc 35 nitros shot
Old 08-20-2003, 12:31 AM
H2 Club Houston Chapter Founder

BADRAP is off the scale

I have considered for sometime about buying a supercharger and I think that this will help my decision. I know that Whipple is suppose to be awesome but after reading this I will have to do more research on this.. I like them both that is the Whipple and the Magnacharger.. They both sound tempting.. I want improved fuel mpg and better HP and it seems as if they will both do that.. So were I go from here is still in the air....

badrap@sbcglobal.net
03 Black Lux (This is my 2nd H2)
Had an 03 Pewter but it rattled away...........
03 BMW 525i, Titanium Grey...
Old 08-20-2003, 04:30 AM

Let me throw a wrench into this. Has anyone looked at the Kenne Bell unit?

Thy replace the injectors like Magna. No intercooler like the whipple, but the roots type supercharger has to run more boost than the twin screw because it is not as efficent.

Thats why lile I posted earlier a Whipple with 5.5 lbs of boost made more HP than a Magna Radix with 8 lbs.

But on the Kenne Bell here are a few things on it:

Big increase in horsepower and torque - EVERYWHERE.
• INSTANT FULL BOOST / HORSEPOWER & TORQUE at ANY rpm - 2000 up.
• No "boost lag" as with centrifugal superchargers & turbos.
• Fat flat torque curve for performance, towing, climbing etc.
• Boost and power on demand only when needed.
• Includes Kenne Bell OPTIMIZER ll™ to reprogram fuel, spark and trans.
• Whisper Quiet. Bypass valve system.
• Internally lubricated. No tapping holes in oil pan. Doesn't use engine oil.
• 8 new high capacity injectors. No injection of fuel into stock "dry" manifold.
• Retains preferred "dry flow" stock manifold concept for more even fuel distribution and maximum power.
• 60°-80° cooler air charge temperature and requires 10-16 less HP to drive than Roots style*.
• No other engine or transmission changes required.
• Available in satin finish or polished.
• Best Engineered Kit. Knock protection.
• All necessary parts included in kit.
• Billet aluminum supercharger.

and it is $500.00 less than the Whipple and over a $1000 less than the Magna.

Whipplecharged
Old 08-20-2003, 09:48 AM

NSXer is off the scale

I'd love the kenne bell, I just don't want to be the guinnea pig! Does anyone know of anyone else that has installed it on thier H2? I know thier twin screw for the Ford lighting is awesome, I'd just rather wait for someone else to take the $4,000-$5,000 gamble first. then tell us about it. Does that make me a bad person????

If you like bikes... Check out http://www.usualsuspex.com
Old 08-20-2003, 12:13 PM

h2fan is off the scale

Here's the proof.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2003, 12:14 PM

h2fan is off the scale

One more
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2003, 12:14 PM

h2fan is off the scale

Last One
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2003, 12:59 PM

rvs9 is off the scale

Where is the best source for buying the Whipple? I live in Chattanooga, Tn and will probably have my dealer install the unit.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:32 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not where I got mine but try http://www.superchargersonline.com I believe that they do discount them.

2003 H2 Hummer, Yellow,Polished Whipple Supercharged, Edelbrock ceramics, catback,18" Ambush w/mudders,lots of goodies!
Y2K Corvette Millennium Yellow Convert/Blk/Blk, B&B headers, B&B Tri-Flo's, H-Tech MAG,GMS MAF, RM Racing TwinFlow.
1994 Chev 454 Suburban, Blown, Doug Thorley
1970 Trans Am, balanced, blue printed, Hooker ceramics

www.4swimwear.com
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:33 PM

Apex IV is off the scale

We got our Whipples from ExtremeFlow and I believe their price is a little under what they quote at superchargersonline.com That MAY be because we ordered "kits" in varying "stages" for 3 H2 units (we're leaving 1 of our 4 stock as a "baseline".)

We'll be installing the intake/exhaust and doing the flash programming sometime this week or next, and then installing the SC units in about 3 weeks (?), when I return from a trip. We'll be attempting to keep detailed records and photos of our installs and will post the photos/data either here or just post a link to our own servers.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
Old 08-22-2003, 01:49 AM

H2 Daddy is off the scale

What a great employer, he not only buys 3 H2's for his employees, but he also supercharges them. Apex IV, your company's fringe benefits are outstanding.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:03 AM

rvs9,

I saw them for $4095.00 or $4195.00 at www.xtremeflow.com