H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 05-12-2005, 05:30 PM
Hummer Professional

LoLo is off the scale

I searched first to see if there was a discussion on the poor radio reception, and found one from January of 2003! Looks like my problem may be a semi-common one!

Although it doesn't cut out completely, my radio sounds as if you are going up and down on a roller coaster. (Men, use your imagination, here, as most of you cannot distinguish this type of noise adjustment! ) The sound is nice and clear, then it sounds as if it is mostly bass and lower volume. (NO, the auto-volume is OFF... not that simple!)

It seems to be worse in areas with cellular or radio towers... REALLY STRANGE!!!

Anyone else with poor reception??? Any ideas on improving it???

(2003 H2 Lux. series... standard 6-disc bose radio system...)

05 Desert Sand H2 Adv
Old 05-12-2005, 05:30 PM
Hummer Professional

LoLo is off the scale

I searched first to see if there was a discussion on the poor radio reception, and found one from January of 2003! Looks like my problem may be a semi-common one!

Although it doesn't cut out completely, my radio sounds as if you are going up and down on a roller coaster. (Men, use your imagination, here, as most of you cannot distinguish this type of noise adjustment! ) The sound is nice and clear, then it sounds as if it is mostly bass and lower volume. (NO, the auto-volume is OFF... not that simple!)

It seems to be worse in areas with cellular or radio towers... REALLY STRANGE!!!

Anyone else with poor reception??? Any ideas on improving it???

(2003 H2 Lux. series... standard 6-disc bose radio system...)

05 Desert Sand H2 Adv
Old 05-12-2005, 05:37 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/t...755#1506052755
http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/t...491#2006098491
http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/t...491#7626018491
http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/t...591#3736059591
http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/t...961#5596086961
http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/t...275#5026080275
http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/t...313#1626008313

I bet you knew that would happen, didn't you? There's even more, I just got tired of the old cut and paste.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Hummer Professional

LoLo is off the scale

Thanks... I will sit back with a cup of coffee and dissect all of those! I appreciate the help!

Strange that they don't make a better "replacement" antaenna...

05 Desert Sand H2 Adv
Old 05-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Well, the description of what it sounds like and reception just doesn't "sound" right to me.

You said, "The sound is nice and clear, then it sounds as if it is mostly bass and lower volume." This is does not sound, to me, like a typical reception problem. It sounds like you are losing the tweeters in the A-pillars or everything except the sub. That would be amp related.

What year H2? '03s and some '04s have a different amp than other '04s and '05s.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Banned

How often does it happen? For how long does the "change" usually last? Will it do it if you are sitting still?

Just a few more questions that come to mind.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:02 PM
Hummer Professional

LoLo is off the scale

It happens sporadically... mostly around towers or under trees (driving or sitting still... no difference). And, it doesn't happen with a CD playing. So, that is why I thought antenna...

As to the tweeters, when they replaced the radio (thinking THAT was the problem) about a month ago, that was the first time I knew those WERE tweeters! They didn't work previously...

The "sound" variance is subtle... but it drives ME crazy... obviously a woman thing! The male service advisor said he couldn't even HEAR the change!

As to how long... it is only a second or two, then reverts... not long enough to find out exactly WHAT is happening! But, I have driven with every possible configuration (left/front, right/front, etc) of the speakers to try to isolate the problem, and have decided it probably isn't a speaker issue.

I may be trading it in on an '05 model... pretty sad that I would trade just because the radio sucks! But it is just about THAT BAD to me!

05 Desert Sand H2 Adv
Old 05-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LoLo:
It happens sporadically... mostly around towers or under trees (driving or sitting still... no difference). And, it doesn't happen with a CD playing. So, that is why I thought antenna...

As to the tweeters, when they replaced the radio (thinking THAT was the problem) about a month ago, that was the first time I knew those WERE tweeters! They didn't work previously...

The "sound" variance is subtle... but it drives ME crazy... obviously a woman thing! The male service advisor said he couldn't even HEAR the change!

As to how long... it is only a second or two, then reverts... not long enough to find out exactly WHAT is happening! But, I have driven with every possible configuration (left/front, right/front, etc) of the speakers to try to isolate the problem, and have decided it probably isn't a speaker issue.

I may be trading it in on an '05 model... pretty sad that I would trade just because the radio sucks! But it is just about THAT BAD to me! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This may be amp related. I had this on my 03.
They replaced the enitre head unit.

It may be coincidently happening around towers too. ???? Do you loose sound or reception? Does it do this with a CD in? Or radio only?
Old 05-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Banned

Damn, beat me to the CD question.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:56 PM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LoLo:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 05-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Banned

Damn, made me look stupid.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
Damn, made me look stupid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Damn X2.

Ok, so turn off the AM stations.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Hummer Professional

LoLo is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
Damn, made me look stupid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...a nice thought, but it is on FM, too!

Looks like I just need to switch to XM!

05 Desert Sand H2 Adv
Old 05-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Saw one with a problem with the antenna housing. They replaced the radio before I came out and just grabbed the antenna and was moving it to get better reception. Teh antennas suck on the 03 and the side mount can have a problem too with the housing. XM aftermarket on the Hummer can suck becase of the windshield so vertical. Make sure they mount the antenna outside of the truck not on the dash or it will cut out every time you get near buildings or hills/mountians.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Banned

Audio System Troubleshooting Hints
Many conditions that affect radio operation may be corrected without removing the radio from the car. Verify the condition, and follow the diagnostic procedures in order to isolate and correct the condition. In order to properly diagnose any audio system problems, ensure that you have a fully charged battery.

Preliminary Inspections

Important
When testing the audio system for poor reception or noise, the vehicle should be outside away from metal buildings and utility lines, with the hood and rear compartment closed.

Check for any aftermarket equipment that may have been installed on the vehicle. If aftermarket equipment is found disconnect it and check if the audio noise is still present. Inspect that the antenna connector and the antenna coaxial cable are clean and tight.
For reception concerns, first determine if the customer is within the listening area of the stations they are attempting to receive.
Stations at the lower end of the FM band are more susceptible to audio noises than stations at the higher end.
If the noise is only from one speaker check for the following before speaker replacement:
Isolate the noise using the J 39916-A CD and Cassette Diagnostic Audio Kit.
Inspect the speaker connections to ensure they are clean and tight. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems.
Inspect for a loose or incorrectly installed speaker or surrounding trim. Loose trim can cause a buzz or flutter which sounds like a malfunctioning speaker.
Ignition noise on the FM band may be an indication of an ignition system problem.
Inspect that all vehicle grounds are clean, tight and free of corrosion.
Inspect the rear defogger grid lines for large breaks or dark spots.
Inspect the connections at the radio antenna module if equipped, to ensure that they are clean and tight.
Compare the customers vehicle to another of similar model and audio system to determine if the condition is abnormal.
Identifying Concerns
In order to isolate the source of the noise/poor reception, identify the ignition switch position that the concern is most noticeable:
Turn the ignition switch to the accessory position.
Turn ON the radio.
Seek up 88-108 FM then 550-1600 AM.
Record the number of valid radio stations where the tuner stops.
Repeat these steps with the ignition ON, and the engine OFF then again with the engine running.
Return the ignition switch to the position that the concern was most noticeable.
Remove fuses or circuit breakers one at a time until the noise has been eliminated.
Identify what systems or components are powered by the fuse.
Reinstall all fuses and circuit breakers.
Disconnect the components powered by the fuse one at a time until the concern has been eliminated.
Corrective Action
Inspect the ground integrity of the component or system causing the noise.
Malfunctioning and marginal components such as relays and solenoids may cause noise and/or poor reception.
Always use a braided ground strap when applying additional grounds and keep the ground strap as short as possible.
If the noise source is found to be coming from the vehicle harness:
Route the antenna cable separately from the wire harness that is emitting the noise.
Use aluminum or nickel tape in order to shield the antenna cable. Try variations of the following repairs:
Try adding only aluminum or nickel tape before adding a ground strap to the tape.
Wrap a ground strap 360 degrees around the tape, securing the other end of the strap to chassis ground.

Important
When installing suppression devices, signal wires such as sensor and communication circuits should not be suppressed. Battery and ignition voltage circuits are the best choices for suppressing.

Capacitors work best on switch pops and low frequency noise.
Filters work best on high frequency whines and static.
After adding any suppression device, inspect all of the vehicle systems including those not related to the audio system, for proper operation and function.
Whenever possible, make a test harness that includes filters or capacitors. Always inspect the effectiveness and operation before permanent installation.
If an audible pop is caused due to operating a switch, perform the following repairs as necessary:
Add a capacitor across the contacts of the switch.
Add a capacitor from the battery positive voltage (B+) side of the switch to chassis ground.
Add a capacitor from the ground side of the switch to chassis ground.
Use the following available noise suppression devices:
220 micro farad (50 V) capacitor GM P/N 1227895 -- Works well for ignition system related noise.
0.47 micro farad capacitor GM P/N 1227894 -- Works well for switches and relays.
Feed through capacitor GM P/N 477371 -- Works well for high current situations.
Filter package GM P/N 1224205 -- Works well for low current situations.
Fuel pump suppressor GM P/N 25027405
21 inch braided ground strap GM P/N 8910791
19 inch braided ground strap GM P/N 6286800
10.5 inch braided ground strap GM P/N 6287160
8.5 inch braided ground strap GM P/N 12091511
Generator Whine Concerns
Inspect the ground terminal and cable for high resistance.
Inspect the generator and brackets for loose or coated mounting bolts.
Inspect that the ground straps between the engine and the frame are clean and tight.
If the noise is still present, inspect the charging system for proper operation. Refer to Diagnostic Starting Point - Engine Electrical in Engine Electrical.
Install a filter GM P/N 1224205 in the battery voltage feed circuit to the radio.
If the noise is not eliminated, install the filter in each following variation:
Install the filter with the single wire side toward the radio and the ground wire attached to chassis ground.
Remove the ground to the filter.
Reverse the filter so the 2-wire side is toward the radio with the ground wire attached to chassis ground.
Remove the ground from the filter.
If the filter GM P/N 1224205 causes a delay when turning the radio ON or OFF, or other problems, remove the filter and install a 0.47 micro farad capacitor to chassis ground.
Before reassembling the vehicle, remove any unneeded filters.
Test the functionality all of the vehicle systems including those not related to the audio system, for proper operation and function.