H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 01-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Hummer Veteran

H2ummer is an unknown quantity at this point

I upgraded the radio in my 03 H2 with the 2005 TNR. The GPS antenna is up foward under the dash pad, about 3 inches back from the windshield.
I have noticed that the position on the screen is 100-200 feet short of where I really am. So I went to the Calibrate screen to reposition my vehicle on the screen. I touch the sceen where I think I really am, get the little circle there and press OK. Then the rotate vehicle screen comes up. Since that part is correct, I just hit OK. Well this is where I dont understand things. My choices now are OK and back at this point. If I hit OK again, I am right back at the first screen again and just end up doing the same thing over and over. IF I hit back, I just back out of the calibrate all together. Anyway, either one I push, when I get back to the main screen, I have not really done anyting.

Is there any way to "save" the changes? Just how do I get this change in position to keep. Looking at the documents that came with it, it just tells me I can calibrate it by going to those screens but really does not tell how.

What do I need to really do here.

Also, I notice the word GPS pops up what I consider a fair amount. I understand that is because I have lost sight of enought GPS satellites for it to gets it location. Just wondering how much this comes on others, espically when there are no trees or buildings on the sides of the roads. I have thought about trying to move the antenna more foward under the dash pad up next to the windshield, but wanted to get the input from others that have the TNR first.

Thanks,
Wendll
Hummer Veteran

I upgraded the radio in my 03 H2 with the 2005 TNR. The GPS antenna is up foward under the dash pad, about 3 inches back from the windshield.
I have noticed that the position on the screen is 100-200 feet short of where I really am. So I went to the Calibrate screen to reposition my vehicle on the screen. I touch the sceen where I think I really am, get the little circle there and press OK. Then the rotate vehicle screen comes up. Since that part is correct, I just hit OK. Well this is where I dont understand things. My choices now are OK and back at this point. If I hit OK again, I am right back at the first screen again and just end up doing the same thing over and over. IF I hit back, I just back out of the calibrate all together. Anyway, either one I push, when I get back to the main screen, I have not really done anyting.

Is there any way to "save" the changes? Just how do I get this change in position to keep. Looking at the documents that came with it, it just tells me I can calibrate it by going to those screens but really does not tell how.

Also, I notice the word GPS pops up what I consider a fair amount. I understand that is because I have lost sight of enought GPS satellites for it to gets it location. Just wondering how much this comes on others, espically when there are no trees or buildings on the sides of the roads. I have thought about trying to move the antenna more foward under the dash pad up next to the windshield, but wanted to get the input from others that have the TNR first.

Thanks,
Wendll
Hummer Veteran

Thanks,
Wendll
Old 01-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Hummer Professional

89vette is off the scale

Where dd you get the 05 nav unit?
Old 01-06-2005, 07:56 PM

LasVegas is off the scale

Hi Wendell. As you know I just upgraded to the TNR also. I have no problems with calibration. It shows me right where I am. I don't get the GPS warning often at all. Generally going under a bridge, etc. If you're getting that a lot something must be wrong. Go to my thread for a picture of my antenna location...three inchs back from the windshield should be fine. http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=709104869 If it was me I'd check all connections and if you have the same problem better talk to who you bought it from. Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

89Vette,
My TNR was purchased from: http://www.specmo.com
It is also available from: http://modelelectronicsinc.com/home.htm

The TNR can be hard to get as most GM dealers will not sell them. My Hummer dealer said he could not even order them.

LasVegas,
Looking at your pics, my antenna is back away from the windshield a little more. It is mounted on that black screw in your picture that is about 1" toward the cabin. This puts mine back a little further. I dont think anything is loose, it does not act like that. Certain headings are solid, so I feel like it is blockage from the truck itself. I was concerned when I mounted it, that it was not as foward as I liked. It still works OK but I just think the GPS light is on more than it should be, hence, the reason I was asking others.

As far as the calibration, it is not off very far, but since the Radio does have a calibrate feature, I thought I could get it closer. But it does not seem to work, or I just don't know what I am doing, which is more likely. As I said previously, it does not seem to matter after I "calibrate" it, it goes back to where it was before I started.

Thanks,
Wendell
Old 01-06-2005, 08:58 PM

Wendell... The antenna location should be okay. If you're getting the GPS light often though it sounds like a loss of signal although it could be in the set. 100-200 feet off isn't right. It should be accurate to a couple meters. I don't know about the calibration because I haven't had to do it but I know it say's you might have to calibrate if you rotate tires, change tires, etc. That indicates that it should be moving maybe. I don't know. Are you driving when you try calibrating or just sitting still? Just a though cause I don't know how it would know if something changed (new tires for instance) without moving while it's calibrating. Hope you can work it out because it should be accurate.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Hummer Veteran

There are two parts to the Calibrate. One is for position and one for speed. The speed one is for the tires, etc. The one I am trying to do is for position.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:16 PM

Shows how little I know about the calibration. I'll try mine tonight and let you know what it does.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:30 PM

Mine seems to do the same thing???????? Gotta be something we aren't understanding.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks for checking it out. I assume there must be others out there that have tried to calibrate their TNR. Maybe not many got that option. I love it, even with this issue.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:33 PM

Wendell... some interesting info. I had to pull the fuse for the radio & amp to install Hypertech program. When I was done the Nav then calibrated correctly. Don't ask be why but maybe it only works during initial setup because it thought it was a new install. Maybe this will help. Just pull fuse and then when it restarts it puts you into the setup. Try calibration and it should work.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Hummer Veteran

I pulled the fuse for about 2 minutes. Mine did not come back up in setup. Same screen as before I pulled the radio fuse.

Next time you are in your H2, sitting still in your drive, with the map up, push the Nav button. It will tell you the address you are at for a few seconds. See if this is your address. My street address is 11004 and it shows I am at 11065. This is a ways down the street. I did this after coming back from town, so I know the GPS had time to update properly.

In re-reading your post I see you said radio and amp fuse. I pulled the one marked radio. I guess I will look for one marked amp too.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:10 PM

Yes, it's probably the amp fuse. Thinking back Wendell, when I installed the unit 10 days ago and first started it I was in the driveway and it showed me down the street about 3 houses. I relocated it then. This time it was only off about 1 house but relocated fine. Hope this works for you.