H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 11-18-2004, 04:36 PM

Patriot is off the scale

Well, my H2 spent three nights on a test unit to see if any modules "woke up" and drained my battery. My HVAC module woke up once but did not drain my battery. Dealer is going to replace just in case...

It appears that H2's may have modules that can wake up and put a drain on batteries. Further, they can wake up and get "stuck on"...or they can get stuck when you stop the engine. No rhyme or reason either....

The GM spec says they should shut down w/in 25 minutes after shutting off engine.

So...GM and I can chase this problem for ever. I see it as a weakness of the design and NOT very reliable.

So I may be leaning to a dual battery set up.

Drty, I spoke with Wrangler NW and they say the install is straight forward. Have you had any problems???

Can I do the following???: Run both batteries when driving around to make sure they both stay charged. Then, when I park, shut off one battery as a reserve in case a module wakes up and drains battery "A"??? Once I get in, try to start on single battery...if dead, switch in second battery??
Old 11-18-2004, 04:36 PM

Patriot is off the scale

Well, my H2 spent three nights on a test unit to see if any modules "woke up" and drained my battery. My HVAC module woke up once but did not drain my battery. Dealer is going to replace just in case...

It appears that H2's may have modules that can wake up and put a drain on batteries. Further, they can wake up and get "stuck on"...or they can get stuck when you stop the engine. No rhyme or reason either....

The GM spec says they should shut down w/in 25 minutes after shutting off engine.

So...GM and I can chase this problem for ever. I see it as a weakness of the design and NOT very reliable.

So I may be leaning to a dual battery set up.

Drty, I spoke with Wrangler NW and they say the install is straight forward. Have you had any problems???

Can I do the following???: Run both batteries when driving around to make sure they both stay charged. Then, when I park, shut off one battery as a reserve in case a module wakes up and drains battery "A"??? Once I get in, try to start on single battery...if dead, switch in second battery??
Old 12-11-2004, 12:33 AM
Hummer Professional

Hummie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I found that sand also gummed up the retractable part of the quick connect.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have had better luck with the brass quick connectors. Steel ones didn't last very long before they gave problems.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> that looks pretty tight but dont know what you mounted to with ease without making some big mods...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah... it got pretty involved before I got through. That is a M8274 Warn which I already had and it has it's own dedicated battery mounted along side it. The power cables are only 18" long 2ga. so it does't experience much voltage drop during heavy pulls. I pulled battery charging voltage from the trailer recptacle. I built a whole new receiver and winch mount for the project.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2004, 01:22 AM

unaslob is off the scale

that does look pretty involved.... for me... I will grab a friend and carry the winch to the rear... but if i were to do it all over again.... that would be pretty tight

unaslob
Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad \'tip\'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14\" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX
Old 11-18-2004, 10:13 PM

Orbyog is off the scale

You could also get a "Battery Buddy" or something like it that will shut everything down if the current gets to low, then flip a switch for the reserve to start the truck. I have been thinking of getting one, it would be alot cheaper also.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:55 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

Hummie2, please check your pm.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:35 AM

alecs wife is off the scale

H2F, the Road Armor rear bumper is designed to support a winch. I will be adding one to mine next year. It will support electric and hydrolic.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This post and any pictures posted with it are the property of Adam in CO and/or his affiliates. The contents of this post are confidential and may contain information that is privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under all
Old 12-08-2004, 12:39 AM

unaslob is off the scale

i posted that stuff before but couldnt find it with a search. i recently blew the airline running from the compressor to the tank.

gave me a chance to do some new things... but here are the pics of the tank and the quick-connects. i replaced the quick connects with the same ones plows use. they have rubber caps to keep the dirt out. sand, dirt gummed up mine rendering them useless. plus hadley came out with some rubber mounts and socks to silence the compressor which used to be pretty loud... now runs silent. I also put a switch in the cab to turn the thing off for when I dont want it to run.

unaslob
unaslob
Attached Images

Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad \'tip\'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14\" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX
Old 12-12-2004, 03:58 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hummie2:
here is a pic with the bumper removed, you can't see the winch or battery very well though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And... how do you get to the clutch handle or untangle the line? Plus, isn't the Haas fairlead pretty exposed to rocks and, well, everything else? Have you considered putting a piece of 1/4" plate under it for protection?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by unaslob:
that does look pretty involved.... for me... I will grab a friend and carry the winch to the rear... but if i were to do it all over again.... that would be pretty tight

unaslob <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what 4 ton Come-Alongs are for.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:46 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I want the extra capacity along with the benefits of a "backup" battery and not being sure of how much extra capacity the smaller batteries have, I have only been looking at a setup where I can install two full sized optimas. Otherwise the Wrangler setup is perfect, but I have been too lazy to see what kind of capacity difference there might exist, plus I have a relative new optima already.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:42 AM

unaslob is off the scale

unaslob
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2004, 08:03 PM

unaslob is off the scale

that is a nice setup.. I never thought of actually getting 2 smaller ones but with more power. i have been envisioning of putting a second one of similar dimensions...

unaslob
Old 12-07-2004, 02:58 AM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by unaslob:
where do you fit a second battery. i have wanted to do a dual setup for some time. winching long pulls with the ignition off can really drain the battery quickly. does anyone have a procedure for doing this... or at least a spot.

unaslob <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Winching long pulls up a hill with the engine running will drain the battery quickly. I had a brief thought of putting the second over on the passenger side fender in place of the radiator reservoir. Maybe moving the reservoir back further on the fender with some kind of custom flange mount and an extended hose.

I haven't done anything else but have that thought though. I am not even sure if it is possible, but my thinking was one could get a battery mount and put one in the same place on the opposite fender.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:40 AM
Banned

I thought I remember someone posting something like this before didn't realize it was you. I didn't really look back to see but I remember it now. Your tank is where my stock compressor is and I am thinking of putting a tank like that along the outside of the frame on the passenger side.

I also was thinking of popping a hole in the metal front and rear bumpers to have the pop-ins located there.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:16 PM

Patriot is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Z:
Had a similar problem, turned out to be a Very corroded Positive battery cable, along with a bad battery. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cable is fine...two batteries killed (OEM and yellow top optima)
Old 12-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is where I mounted my air quick connect next to the hitch reciever. You are right about sand getting in there, I use a small screwdriver to depress the center plunger and blow the dirt out before hooking up the air hose. So far dirt hasn't been a problem (after about 8 months use), I do wash it with the pressure washer when I wash the H2 though and spray a little WD40 on it.
BTW departure angle isn't a problem as my winch fairlead hasn't hit, but notice the drag marks on the right "D" ring.

Don
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2004, 08:50 PM

unaslob is off the scale

nice install.. I found that sand also gummed up the retractable part of the quick connect.. I dont wash my truck too often so that probably nailed me.

got any pics of underneath on how the winch is installed.. that looks pretty tight but dont know what you mounted to with ease without making some big mods...

unaslob
Old 12-07-2004, 10:21 PM

unaslob is off the scale

i agree. what about the possibility of placing a battery in the rear of the truck... there is plenty of room under the rear for all kinds of stuff... I have an airtank back there already and am think of putting another one in for more air capacity.

unaslob
Old 12-07-2004, 06:00 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Patriot,
I love my dual battery set up. I did have a slight problem with one of the batteries, but Wrangler replaced it. they're dry cell batteries and some how one of them vented. The Odyssey battery rep had never seen anything like it.
Anyway, I highly recommend the set up.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2004, 07:46 PM

unaslob is off the scale

fortunately the departure angle hasnt been an issue yet. I do keep a set of self sealing caps and spacers for the airlines in case I ever break one again. I will have to think about a different spot for when it gets redone again... maybe when I add another tank.. it could easily tuck underneath... but then it is hard to get at when you need to an you run the off chance of pulling the line across the muffler when you are airing up on the right... that would suck...

THINK CAPS!!!! it took all of 8 months to completely gum up the disconnects when sand and pebbles... they make then for plow lines.

unaslob