H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-29-2005, 03:32 PM
Hummer Expert

Beastmaster is off the scale

I got this link from going over my ever growing email backlog. It's a link from one of my contacts from my Toyota Tundra days.

http://www.ststurbo.com/home

They make one for the Vortec engine in that is in H2's. I wonder how adaptable it is for the H2, since the stock applications is for the Esclade and other GM trucks.....
Old 01-29-2005, 03:32 PM
Hummer Expert

I got this link from going over my ever growing email backlog. It's a link from one of my contacts from my Toyota Tundra days.

http://www.ststurbo.com/home

They make one for the Vortec engine in that is in H2's. I wonder how adaptable it is for the H2, since the stock applications is for the Esclade and other GM trucks.....
Old 01-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks pretty awesome.
Nice Videos!
I think with that kinda boots though, you would start breaking other stuff!

Ric-H2
Old 01-29-2005, 04:52 PM
Hummer Expert

Yeah, but if we can put turbos and superchargers on the H2 in general with zero mods to the suspension and drivetrain, this turbo system can be done as well.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:58 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Look how far that air has to travel. I don't care what they say, there has to be a huge amount of lag. The exhaust gases have to speed up to produce the boost by traveling to the rear of the truck. Then all the air on the fresh side has to be compressed for the entire length of the tube.

Maybe if you had a 3500 stall it would work with out lag. Besides, there must be a reason Indy cars and drag cars don't use this type of system.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I don't think a turbo is the answer on an H2. The boost comes in too far into the RPM range and it would only be usable at highway speeds. Besides I can't see paying $4K for a turbo.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:08 PM

LasVegas is off the scale

Not familiar with the product so this is just some thoughts to consider:

1. Wouldn't worry about the amount of boost. Unlike superchargers, turbocharger boost is adjustable through the wastegate.
2. You would think due to the distance there would be a lag. But it may be just the opposite. Turbos turn at very high rpm and don't "stop & start" with throttle. There may well be some "stored" boost in that long run.
3. Correct...turbos come in at higher rpm but considering 2 above that might not be the case here.
4. The price is pretty steep for a turbocharger but depending on the above cheaper than a supercharger and probably easier to install.

Just my thoughts without hands-on knowledge.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:25 PM
Hummer Expert

Actually, Indy and Nascar used to use a turbocharged V6 sourced from Buick.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenP:

Maybe if you had a 3500 stall it would work with out lag. Besides, there must be a reason Indy cars and drag cars don't use this type of system. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-29-2005, 08:26 PM
Hummer Expert

According to tests, the lag is .05 seconds. PSI is set to about 5, and the PSI loss is only .25 to .75 PSI from the turbo to the intake.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to run 10's with a turbocharged Buick V6 so I am familiar with how they work. When I said "system" I was referring to the turbo placement.

The air on the fresh side needs to be compressed along the length of the intake tube. That's probably going to run 8 ft. or more and common sense should tell you that will take a moment.

On the exhaust side the speed of the impeller is in proportion to the exhaust passing it. It takes time for that exhaust to rush from the engine all the way down the exhaust to reach the impeller and speed it up enough to create boost.

As for the heat, the exhaust gases are hot so the turbo will still heat up. Granted, not as much as it would in the engine compartment. Of course, that is why so many kits have intercoolers with them.

This sounds too good to be true I would have concerns for anyone that bought this system. Again, there must be a reason high performance vehicles don't use this.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:00 PM

LasVegas is off the scale

All good points Ken. It would be interesting to hear results if someone tries it.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:36 PM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

Its a killer sound. Would love to pull up next to Vegas Labo ( I see two a day) and let it rip. well the sound.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:32 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

I've initiated contact with the regional director and going to meet with who they say is there best dealer. He is south of Ft. worth so only 5 1/2 hours if they can cut Me a deal worth the drive. I'll keep everyone up to date as I proceed on this little odyssey as there has got to be more face to face with the dealer before I jump in. Fortunately I have friends north of Dallas who will pick Me up and take Me back.
I'm till waiting on 2 calls with prices on Magna Charger special pricing I did not know I had till i got to talking about what I was wanting to do.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 02-01-2005, 10:00 AM

alecs wife is off the scale

I wonder how it works under water in offroad streams?
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This post and any pictures posted with it are the property of Adam in CO and/or his affiliates. The contents of this post are confidential and may contain information that is privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under all
Old 02-02-2005, 12:59 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

STS told Me they have a snorkle kit for offroaders. If You are driving day to day and expecting rain there is a dry cover to put on it. I spoke with dealer in TX today and He said there has not been a single problem with water. They have not designed one for the H2 but since i brought it up it looks like I may be the test project. The dealer said for Me to call back this weekend and He will have more info as He wants to talk to STS as He thinks He can get a story for Ultimate Hummer Mag. or another truck mag. etc. He wants to include a dyno man and A guy from San Antonio that does the best tuning to get them all involved. This guy did a set up on a pontiac G6 I think and they featured him explaining the install and He said it was advertisement he never could of affored so He is looking to work something along the same thing. He wants to order in special tubing more stainless and aluminum so that it looks trick from underneath if He can work a photo story deal. Not real sure where it is all going but I basicly said if product and install is free I'll sign a deal to let them show system and my truck in print. Hey You work the best deal You can get.
The only dumb question is the one You do not ask!

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges