H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 01-30-2005, 10:06 AM

H2 Passion is off the scale

Hi,

I like Off-Road and we have 4 Month of Snow.
Usually we are getting stuck in snow and mud.
We tried all options available in the H2 board but we weren't able to move out.

Lately a 4x4 garage offered me an ARB Air Locker Locking Differentials but i went to the internet and i found also there is eaton E-Locker.

So, Which one i have to choose for my H2 ?
and what is the difference between these 2 Diff ?

Best Regards
Elie waked
Old 01-30-2005, 10:06 AM

Hi,

I like Off-Road and we have 4 Month of Snow.
Usually we are getting stuck in snow and mud.
We tried all options available in the H2 board but we weren't able to move out.

Lately a 4x4 garage offered me an ARB Air Locker Locking Differentials but i went to the internet and i found also there is eaton E-Locker.

So, Which one i have to choose for my H2 ?
and what is the difference between these 2 Diff ?

Best Regards
Elie waked
Old 01-30-2005, 10:25 AM

alecs wife is off the scale

Here are a couple of links to discussions we have had on this forum.

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=5106011751&m=27960 43935&p=1

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=5106011751&m=39660 88694&p=1

Enjoy reading
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This post and any pictures posted with it are the property of Adam in CO and/or his affiliates. The contents of this post are confidential and may contain information that is privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under all
Old 01-30-2005, 12:50 PM

Kevin B is off the scale

One down side to the A.R.B. is even if you have the air suspension you will need another compresor. I dont think the one the H2 comes stock with has enough pressure to operate the A.R.B.

IMHO since the Hummer comes stock with an Eaton, why not stick with the same for the front?
Old 01-30-2005, 04:42 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

You already have a rear e-locker as standard. As far as adding a front-locker, I really don't think that measure is going to make or break the difference in your having been stuck.

The traction control system does a pretty good job of making sure you don't blow all your drive into one wheel. It doesn't work quite as well as a locker, but it's about 70% as good. Bottom line: I doubt it'll make that stuck or not-stuck difference.

Check out V-bar ice-breaker tire chains. My buddy Mark runs a set on both his front & rear tires for ultimate un-stoppability. If conditions are that bad you'll want the chains for traction when applying the brakes: for all as tough as our 4x4 systems are, they'll do ya no good when it comes time to stop. Your money is better spent on a winch and some extra tow straps.

The front-locker is something I recommend only for the hardcore off-road enthusiast. Or people in San Diego who need to substitute gizmo's for talent
Old 01-30-2005, 04:52 PM

Kevin B is off the scale

Pay no attention to Steve Rs post as he is a pansy and uses his H2 as a grocery getter .
Old 01-30-2005, 04:54 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve R:
Check out V-bar ice-breaker tire chains. My buddy Mark runs a set on both his front & rear tires for ultimate un-stoppability. . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve, you have a link? Can't find it.

My Video Collectionez

Old 01-30-2005, 05:05 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

N2...I forgive you, but you'd better check with a higher source for true redemption

Dennis.....you are amazing; you can find every sick picture on the internet and work photoshop like a demon....but you can't find a pair of V-bar chains?????? dude......

http://tirechain.com/TRUCK-SUV-CHAINS.HTM
scroll down, it's about the 4th or 5th one displayed.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:58 PM

Kevin B is off the scale

Thanks Steve, I checked and im O.K. You on the other hand pulled a no show with DRTY .
Old 01-30-2005, 08:00 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve R:
You already have a rear e-locker as standard. As far as adding a front-locker, I really don't think that measure is going to make or break the difference in your having been stuck.

The traction control system does a pretty good job of making sure you don't blow all your drive into one wheel. It doesn't work quite as well as a locker, but it's about 70% as good. Bottom line: I doubt it'll make that stuck or not-stuck difference.

The front-locker is something I recommend only for the hardcore off-road enthusiast. Or people in San Diego who need to substitute gizmo's for talent <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Steve R,

I am talking about Mud and Snow and not Ice, .
We are trying hard to find a way to not go stuck. Do u think eaton front lockers will help?.
The dealer of ARB Air Locker Locking Differentials told me that i will be stucked if i install it.

How can we move with the H2 in the mud without the Air Locker.

Elie
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2005, 08:16 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by R2:
Here are a couple of links to discussions we have had on this forum.

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=5106011751&m=27960 43935&p=1

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=5106011751&m=39660 88694&p=1

Enjoy reading <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi R2,

I went to these 2 discussions, but would you please give me a summary which one is better for me and if the front locker will help me out to drive all ways in mud and snow and never been stucked.

Elie
Old 01-30-2005, 10:59 PM
Hummer Professional

Cranky Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys, I have not been lurking for a while. Let me say hands down go with the ARB Air Locker over the electric. They are tough as nails and ARB USA backs them up with killer service even if one is out of warranty.

Official Hummer Forums "Rice Grinder"

http://www.rocknroll4x4.com
http://rubicontrailpatrol.org/index.php
http://www.friendsoftherubicon.com/
http://www.Pirate4x4.com Tool and Shop Talk, Vendor, & Toyota Truck and 4Runner Talk Forum Moderator
Old 01-31-2005, 12:11 AM
Hummer Veteran

Screeper is an unknown quantity at this point

I had both front and rear air lockers in my jeep. My advise is to go with the eaton. My airlockers chewed up two compressors and tended to constantly leak air, which kept cycling the compressor. I believe some of these problems were related to the compressor being installed under the hood where the constant heating and cooling played hell on the airlines and o rings.
As far as traction and control, there is nothing that compares to a locker in both diffs. Will you use it? I doubt it as you only lock the front in the worst situations.
2004 Lux with 6 inch Fabtech with tie rods, 38 inch MT's, 4:88 gears, and some minor engine tweaks.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:53 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

If you understand how the TC works and you learn to implement/apply it well....your pretty close to being as good as a locker.

In fact, the TC2 can work through mud better then a locked axle...by allowing a bit of slippage the tires can displace and move mud away to find traction.

Chains can still be used in mud AND a winch can work like spider-man and pull your way where you want to. Of course, mud-terrains and more aggressive mud-oriented tires will help too.

Wish I could show ya....writing only goes so far. But in the end, using techniques and proper approach may only improve your chances 20-50%.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:07 PM
Hummer Professional

Cranky Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Screeper:
I had both front and rear air lockers in my jeep. My advise is to go with the eaton. My airlockers chewed up two compressors and tended to constantly leak air, which kept cycling the compressor. I believe some of these problems were related to the compressor being installed under the hood where the constant heating and cooling played hell on the airlines and o rings.
As far as traction and control, there is nothing that compares to a locker in both diffs. Will you use it? I doubt it as you only lock the front in the worst situations. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Really? Did you plumb it yourself or have a shop do it? Mine work flawlessly. I did have to learn to use the correct thread sealers when setting up the fittings on the compressor to solve air leaks. I have no leaks at all since. (ARB Comp).

The thread sealant ARB recommends is crap. What works is a 2 step process (Learned this from a commercial plumber). Make the first layer Teflon tape, and then use Whitlam Blue Magic pipe thread compound on top of that. Seals on the spot, and then sets up nicely. Easy to clean of later if you need to work on the fittings.
Attached Images

Official Hummer Forums "Rice Grinder"

http://www.rocknroll4x4.com
http://rubicontrailpatrol.org/index.php
http://www.friendsoftherubicon.com/
http://www.Pirate4x4.com Tool and Shop Talk, Vendor, & Toyota Truck and 4Runner Talk Forum Moderator
Old 02-01-2005, 12:04 AM
Hummer Veteran

Screeper is an unknown quantity at this point

Had it plumbed in the shop first. Then did it myself numerous times. Leaks came from several places. First from the fittings (used the arb sealent then teflon tape) then from the tank around the center retaining bolt. Fixed mumerous times. As I said, I believe the thermal cycling broke down the seals as the aluminium expanded much quicker then the steel fittings and retaining bolts. Florida summers = 95 degrees plus. The lockers themselves where great and worked with out fail. I would put the compressor as the weak link. The salt air where I live didnt do the aluminium hardware any good either and I believe led to my first seized compressor. I have since found that keeping it as simple as possible is the best. The e locker cuts out numerous moving parts. On a hard core wheeler I might even go with the cable actuated OX locker. I wish I had your sealant info when I still owned my TJ.
2004 Lux with 6 inch Fabtech with tie rods, 38 inch MT's, 4:88 gears, and some minor engine tweaks.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:13 AM

alecs wife is off the scale

I have e-lockers on my H2. The front locker works perfect. I would personally hate to install a air compressor under the hood.

In terms of better, I would have to say it's a toss up. They both lock the diff witch is what you are looking for. I mad my decision to go with the e-locker because GM used it in the rear.

Any way you go you can't loose. Also consider getting 37" tires.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This post and any pictures posted with it are the property of Adam in CO and/or his affiliates. The contents of this post are confidential and may contain information that is privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under all
Old 02-01-2005, 07:14 AM

Hi,

I have a winch which is helping me a lot when i am in a place where i can find trees, but the problem is on snow, no trees , no rock.. just snow.

I think i will go for eaton, as it's showing it's better to stay using the same air compressor but with this existing one will be enough to send power for both front and rear lockers.

Elie
Old 02-01-2005, 07:17 AM

If you understand how the TC works and you learn to implement/apply it well....your pretty close to being as good as a locker.

In fact, the TC2 can work through mud better then a locked axle...by allowing a bit of slippage the tires can displace and move mud away to find traction.

Chains can still be used in mud AND a winch can work like spider-man and pull your way where you want to. Of course, mud-terrains and more aggressive mud-oriented tires will help too.

Wish I could show ya....writing only goes so far. But in the end, using techniques and proper approach may only improve your chances 20-50%. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Steve R,

what other buttons should be pressed when i am using TC2? and if we have full snow and not ice.
i have a winch too but no trees and no rocks where we are going on the snow.

Elie