H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 04-21-2005, 03:51 AM
Hummer Professional

Ed G. is off the scale

Don't laugh, I installed one of these yesterday and I'm very impressed with the results. Much better throttle response and power, haven't had it on long enough to check for a mileage increase.

http://www.vararam.com/products03.html
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2005, 03:51 AM
Hummer Professional

Ed G. is off the scale

Don't laugh, I installed one of these yesterday and I'm very impressed with the results. Much better throttle response and power, haven't had it on long enough to check for a mileage increase.

http://www.vararam.com/products03.html
Old 04-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

Come on, can I laugh at least a little?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

What... No springs?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:44 AM
Hummer Professional

Ed G. is off the scale

Sorry, no springs, but it does work and they'll buy it back if it doesn't perform as promised. I'll post updates as I get more time with it on.

Ed
Old 04-21-2005, 12:59 PM

h2sin is off the scale

I have seen similar product that replace the factory intake manifold gasket(on a different vehicle)base on the same design, im not surprise it actually improves the throttle response. I think it does improve torque(very little) but sacrifice horsepower at the top end.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:45 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

I kind of follow this way of thinking.
I see how GM puts an incredible amount of money and time into the design and testing of things. They've been desiging engine for a heck of a long time.
If a little plastic piece that snaps into the throttle body really has good driveability
improvements, with no downside besides the cost of it, why wouldn't they install it on all trucks?
GM currently has released a version of their V8 engine that has actuators that will shut off 4 cylinders in certian modes. It's a very slick set up that works well and you can't even feel when the other 4 cylinder come on and off. There are a lot of parts involved to make this work, including who knows how much in the development and testing phase. And after all of this design, cost and testing, it works, but you get about a 7% increase in fuel economy. Do the math, if you're getting 15 mpg, how much improvement is 7%.
Now back to my original point. If they could put a damn plastic piece in the throttle body and give you more torque and throttle response with no downside, don't you think they would have? Do you really think that varraram products is smarter than GM?
Old 04-21-2005, 03:17 PM

h2sin is off the scale

I couldnt agree more, all this does is manipulate the horsepower/torque curve.. at high RPM and wide open throttle, the engine will starve for air as its a restriction for the air inlet path but it does its job at fooling consumer giving them the feel of quicker throttle response since the air is being rushed in at lower range rpm.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Well i have one on a 99 Silverado since they first put it out. I felt the difference.
If You will look into the throttle body you will see 90 degree edges that do nothing but slow air intake down and restrict a smooth flow of air. I agree GM does alot of R@D and some is to improve perf. but most is to reduce cost of manufacturing and assembly. It is easier to machine the throttle body with a right angle in it than to machine a smooth curving intake opening. I first got it just to see if there was anything to it and as I studied t-body opening i saw where it would help and it has been in there ever since. It has helped low end. Do not have it in H2 but plan to talk to Magneson just to see what they think after supercharger is on. Varaam will buy it back if You do not like. I recommend it. Have had no probelm with it at higher RPM. All this thing is doing is just allowing for a smoother flow of air at a higher velocity. Like I said i did feel some difference in the low end. I run programmers and electric fans as well as about anything else you can think of an this 99 silverado 5.3L It shocks many when I run off and leave them looking at tail lghts. I do not see varaam hindering performance in anyway based on everyday practicle use in my daily driver while the Mall Queen rest up inside the garage for the weekends. I have tuning set at high perf. as well as anything else i can set to perf. It has been that way since I bought truck and run regular gas to boot, no detonation. I have 157,000 miles and does not use a drop of oil between oil changes every 5000 miles. If anyone has numbers to show differently I would be very greatful to see them. Like I said My experience is day to day use since they put it on the market.
The reason the GM and another manufacturer does not add these little things is over hundred of thousands of rig it costs a lot of money. It is business economics and any huge corp. that makes enough money and not need to fight hard for market share will take the money saved versus the perf. gained even if it cost hem only a dollar to add it. They build a whole othe rline of vehicles for those interested in performance. H2's and pickups are not on the list in their minds for worrying about perf. or millage. These rigs will be boght anyway. But, the true perf. rig that person has the descretionary income to chose so they have do something to compete except where brand loyalty is going to seel car like in Vette situation.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 04-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Hummer Professional

Fastest H-Town Realtor is off the scale

As I say with the "Turbonator" device....show me back to back dyno runs to support your claims, and I will buy 100 of em.

Have-08 Titan C/C,06 GCSRT-425FTLB & AWD, other junk..
Want-08 Viper, 06 M5
Old 04-21-2005, 10:45 PM
Hummer Authority

I wonder if varaam has done numbers. I think I will call them to find out. It would be interesting if nothing else. I look at it like everything else a person does to their ride. It is a matter of choice as well as trial and error. With this product You try it if You want and if You do not like it get a refund. It worked for Me in the set of the pants test.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 04-21-2005, 11:08 PM

h2sin is off the scale

lol yeah ask them for the dyno graphs instead of numbers, numbers can lie.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:29 AM
Hummer Professional

Ed G. is off the scale

Are you skeptics saying that polishing your throttle body would not make a difference in performance? Granted, the VR Stack is a cheap piece of plastic, but it works on the same principle. Hell, they'll buy it back if your not satisfied. ( I also have the Airaid MIT and OEM replacement filter on my H2, installed them a while back.)
Old 04-22-2005, 02:35 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, it should work. But whether you can feel it is another matter. Five -10 hp you won't feel. But you also have the AiRaid so the throttle response should be better.

Let us know how the mileage goes. My bet is your mileage will go down... because you'll be hitting the gas more often.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:13 AM

hummerNCO is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hummertech:
Do the math, if you're getting 15 mpg, how much improvement is 7%. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, it took a while but this is what I came up with. Someone want to verify this?

15 x 0.07 = 1.05
Old 04-22-2005, 04:23 AM

hummerNCO is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RLTAZH2:
Well i have one on a 99 Silverado... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Tower, school me another english lesson. Is there such a thing as a run-on paragraph?

J/K TAZ
Old 04-22-2005, 05:17 AM
Hummer Authority

NCO no joke My grammar is horrible. it is amazing after school You either forget what You learned or just get lazy.
TAZ
Old 05-16-2005, 01:03 PM
Hummer Professional

Ed G. is off the scale

Here's the update for those interested.

MPG increase on the hiway - .8
MPG increase intown - .5

Power increase is noticed at low, mid and top-end, especially off the line and when passing.

This info. is based on a 3 week period in which I put 1100 miles on my H2.

It has worked great for me and I would recommend it to others with the AIRAID M.I.T. and O.E.M. replacement filter.

Ed
Old 05-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

Dewi2005 is off the scale

I understand the principle here... There are quite a few different 'air flow improvement' devices on the market.

I am looking for feedback on the two items below.

Helix Power Tower... Where does this install? Anyone have one, comments on this???

http://h2store.com/Shop/ViewProducts...11&SortOrder=1

How about the Granatelli High Performance MAF Sensor????

http://h2store.com/Shop/ViewProducts...37&SortOrder=1

Thanks for the input/feedback
Old 05-17-2005, 09:16 PM

Nitrobooger is off the scale

I have the Granatelli MAF sensor, Helix Power tower , Airforce one cold air intake, Hypertech III programmer, and Corsa exhaust on my 03 H2. I only gained about one extra mile per gallon but, I get on the gas a lil more than what I used to. The Power tower is a throttle body spacer that has groves cut in it to help create a vortex of air. It bolts on between the throttle body and intake. When I try to drive kind of slow it is really touchy on the gas peddle. Really jerky... But its fun. I put everything on all at once, so I don't know what helped what. I just know that it was like night and day.