H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

wingnut2u is on a distinguished road
Default Tranny & Gears

I have 2003 Magnasun Supercharged H2 with 37x13.5 Toyos and I just blew the tranny. I drive primarily street (don't hate me) and I pull an 8,000lb boat on occasion.

I am looking for your recommendations as far as upgrading the gears to 488's and any other improvements you think would be benificial.

Since I am not a big offroader does in make sense to go with 456 gears to help out with highway driving?
Old 06-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Hummer Expert

CONRAD II is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tranny & Gears

Sorry to hear about your tranny. How long did you have the blower on before you grenaded the tranny? I have the Mag charger and the power is awesome, but I keep wondering how long it will be before I have the same problem. I would like a completely bullet proof tranny setup so I can tow my 31ft. powerboat without taking any chances.

03' White 2 Door H1 Pickup w/ 2in. body lift
05' BLACK SUT SLANTBACK Magnacharged w\ 12lb pulley, 6in. Fabtech lift, tierods, BUILT 4L80E tranny, 5.13 gears
66' VETTE STINGRAY
12' DODGE RAM 2500 CUMMINS 4X4 W/ FRONT & REAR LOCKERS
07' Z06
Old 06-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

A good rebuild with a Transgo kit and a new HP converter should do the trick. the factory clutch's are pretty stout .as far as gears if you switch them for 4.88's and ever go back to 35's it won't be too good over 75mph you will be reving good and high. if your wanting low speed power with the 37's the 4.88's are good .
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

Conrad, I haven't had the SC on that long but I was being stupid and I raced my wife in her tricked out BMW, I wanted to show her what the beast could do, anyway I was going about 10mph when I punched it, the SC kicked in full bore and thats when it happened .

I was being stupid so it was more driver error than mechanical failure. I just hope I don't have an issue with the warranty coverage.

I too trailer a large boat, a 25ft wakeboard boat, and I wanted to upgrade the tranny so now I have my chance.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

nmu98 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut2u

I was being stupid so it was more driver error than mechanical failure. I just hope I don't have an issue with the warranty coverage.

I just covered my machine in Mountain Dew.....

Are you saying that you expect your tranny to be rebuilt under warranty?

Ever heard of "You play, You pay"
Old 06-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

My warranty covers transmission/drive train and Magnason SC is an "allowed" addition that is not "supposed" to the void warranty. Although I am sure they will fight me hard on that one.

Sorry you spilled your Dew!
Old 06-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Hummer Expert

CONRAD II is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Conrad, I haven't had the SC on that long but I was being stupid and I raced my wife in her tricked out BMW, I wanted to show her what the beast could do, anyway I was going about 10mph when I punched it, the SC kicked in full bore and thats when it happened .

I too trailer a large boat, a 25ft wakeboard boat, and I wanted to upgrade the tranny so now I have my chance.

Wing,

There is no way I would chalk this up as driver error. All you did was punch it. Why would anyone get a blower if they didn't intend on using it on occasion. My opinion is that "SH#@T HAPPENS" simple as that. At least you know that if you rebuild your tranny right, this is a problem you will never have again.

03' White 2 Door H1 Pickup w/ 2in. body lift
05' BLACK SUT SLANTBACK Magnacharged w\ 12lb pulley, 6in. Fabtech lift, tierods, BUILT 4L80E tranny, 5.13 gears
66' VETTE STINGRAY
12' DODGE RAM 2500 CUMMINS 4X4 W/ FRONT & REAR LOCKERS
07' Z06
Old 06-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
My warranty covers transmission/drive train and Magnason SC is an "allowed" addition that is not "supposed" to the void warranty. Although I am sure they will fight me hard on that one.

Sorry you spilled your Dew!

Can you explain to me how this is an allowed addition? Who allows it? Your supercharger adds more power to the engine, and puts more of a strain on all the drivetrain that GM designed to handle stock power.

Is it possible that your tranny was a bad one and had some poor parts, yeah, but more likely, infact almost 100 percent, your tranny blew up because you added more power.

If you go back to a dealer, they will stuff another stock tranny under it and it will not be built. Seems to me, this is your chance to build it right to handle the power?

Instead, you think that GM owes you a new tranny
Old 06-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Hummer Professional

Captain of the Titanic is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmu98
Can you explain to me how this is an allowed addition? Who allows it? Your supercharger adds more power to the engine, and puts more of a strain on all the drivetrain that GM designed to handle stock power.

Is it possible that your tranny was a bad one and had some poor parts, yeah, but more likely, infact almost 100 percent, your tranny blew up because you added more power.

If you go back to a dealer, they will stuff another stock tranny under it and it will not be built. Seems to me, this is your chance to build it right to handle the power?

Instead, you think that GM owes you a new tranny

It's not that he's stupid enough to think GM owes him a tranny, it's that he's SMART enough to try and not pay for it. I'd say you are the lame one if you just go out, franklins in hand, ready to give 'em up whenever you have the chance......
2006 Twilight Maroon H2, Procomp 6001 rims, 35" X 12.5 X 17 Xterrain tires, Ram over-the-hood brush guard, Jet Stage I, Warn 9.5 winch and winch bumper, Hedman Headers, K&N Air charger, Lightforce driving lights, a little CHROME for good measure

2006 Victory Red H3 (The Titanic), R.I.P. - It didn't float

1968 Mustang GT convertible

2005 Harley Davidson Hertitage Softail, Stage I, Vance and Hines Big Shot Longs - Sold

2004 Jaguar S-Type (the wifemobile)
Old 06-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain of the Titanic

It's not that he's stupid enough to think GM owes him a tranny, it's that he's SMART enough to try and not pay for it. I'd say you are the lame one if you just go out, franklins in hand, ready to give 'em up whenever you have the chance......

The dude clearly dusted his tranny due to the charger, and now wants GM to fix it...

You can call me whatever you want, but he is wrong.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

Captain,

Thanks for the backup. You are correct in my thinking. It is my understanding, and I could be wrong, that since the SC is a dealership add on that it does not void the factory warranty and thus the tranny is warrantied with the SC installed. If this is true, then hell yes GM should honor their warranty. If it is not covered under the warranty then I will pay out of pocket.

If NMU98 would put his sourpuss attitude away and go back and read the original post, in no way was I complaining about the warranty. All I said is that I "hope" it is covered.

This post is not a rant about the warranty or customer service, it is a question about recommendations regarding the transmission and gears. But I guess some people just love being GM doesn't owe me anything at this point, hell NMU doesn't even owe me an apology, he is doing a wonderful job of entertaining me and making himself sound like an assh*le at the same time. Opinions are like *******s, everybody has one!

So if anyone has any recommendations regarding what tranny and gears work best with a SC, I welcome your opinons.

Last edited by wingnut2u : 06-12-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

MattRoberts123 is on a distinguished road

I was told by my dealer that if I put the Magnuson Supercharger on my 2006 H2, it would still be TOTALLY under warranty since it is a GM Licensed Product.

They said unless they had 100% proof that the supercharger caused any specific failure to my car, they would default in my favor and the part would be fixed.

Having that said, I can totally understand the need and want to rebuild rather than just replace with the same equipment again... but in my opinion, why not have the dealer put a new on in there.. and then maybe barter with the rebuild guys and let them have some of the components from the new gm part that aren't used, and get a discounted rebuild?!

Just my .02

On a side note, who really cares who's fault it is.. if the dealer is willing to replace something, and you had any use for it, wouldn't you rather atleast try rather than just give up and immediately claim that it was "your fu*k up" ?

What if something else were actually to blame as well... I say always try all your options first before you go pulling out your check book.

Carless... riding the bus... Trying to decide on which 08 H2 to get
Old 06-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

Matt,

Thanks for the clarification on the warranty.

I am having an indepenedent GM certified repair center do a custom rebuild, I am not letting the stealership do the work. Whatever $ amount the warranty covers for the repair of the tranny will be credited towards the cost of the custom rebuild. The repair center is also the only authorized Lingenfelter installer in the country besides the home office in Indiana. They specialize in Corvettes, both street legal and racing, and have installed many Magnasun SC's and custom rebuilt trannys designed to handle the added torque and HP of the SC.

As far as blaming myself, I don't think it was my fault that the tranny failed, I am just mad at myself for not going easier on the tranny and at least delaying the failure. My H2 is 2003 with 79k miles. It was just a matter of time before she gave way, I just pushed it and made it sooner rather than later. But then again, why put the mod on if you aren't going to use it, especially if it is covered under warranty.

There's always the old adage, it never hurts to ask. I was never going to just pay for the repairs without seeing what the warranty covers. I would have to be a total idiot to do that. A warranty is insurance against things like this and I have already filed my claim. The adjuster is coming out tomorrow to take a look and we will see what he has to say.

Thanks for your $.02