H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 08-14-2003, 01:11 AM
Hummer Veteran

eyceburg11 is off the scale

I have a new set of 18's in the garage and I want to take off the factory wheels and put the new ones on. Has anyone tried to replace their wheels before? Any tips on taking off the factory wheels? How do I jack up the H2? Any help would be gratefull. Thanks!
2004 Sl 500
2003 Hummer H2
2001 CLK 430
1998 Lorinser ML 320

Old 08-14-2003, 01:11 AM
Hummer Veteran

eyceburg11 is off the scale

I have a new set of 18's in the garage and I want to take off the factory wheels and put the new ones on. Has anyone tried to replace their wheels before? Any tips on taking off the factory wheels? How do I jack up the H2? Any help would be gratefull. Thanks!
2004 Sl 500
2003 Hummer H2
2001 CLK 430
1998 Lorinser ML 320

Old 08-14-2003, 04:32 AM

H2 Daddy is off the scale

eyceburg11

I don't mean to be judgmental but if you don't know how to take tires off, I doubt you will have the tools to acomplish this task. But you know what? We all had to started somewhere. Now is a good time to buy some basic tools. A lot small mantance jobs can be done at home. You will save a lot of money and most of all, the job will be done right. When someone else is working on your vehicles, they don't really care about your car. It is just another car to them. When you change your own oil for example, that is a good time to look around and see if any fluids are leaking. Are the rubber boots that protect your expensive CV joints ripped? If they are, dirt can get in and ruin the joints. It is HUGE money to replace the CV joints. These are things some techs won't bother to do, but you will.

Here it goes.
You will need a 2 1/2 floor jack and some HEAVY DUTY jack stands. I use 6 ton jack stands. I had to buy new jack stands for the my H2, because the ones for cars are not strong enough.

Loosen the lug nuts slightly while the truck is on the ground. If you try to do this while the truck is in the air the tires will spin. Block the back of both rear wheels with bricks or 2x4s. Apply the emergency brakes. Then, on one side, place the floor jack under the front of the frame and jack it up high enough to get the front wheel off the ground. Place a jack stand under the frame and lower the jack. The tire should still be off the ground, if not, jack the H2 up again and raise the jack stand higher. Lower the jack again. Do the same thing to the front on the other side. Repeat to one side of the rear and then to the other.

Take off the factory wheels and put on the aftermarket wheels. When you tighten the lug nuts, you have to do the tightening in a star pattern. This means put all the nuts on by hand and then snug one lug nut up. Then snug the next lug nut that is directly across from it, not the one next to it. This method allows the wheel to be tightened equally. See page 5-27 of your H2 manual for the pattern. Follow this pattern until all lug nuts are snugged-up. Snugged-up means tight but not cranked tight. After all the lug nuts have been snugged-up lower the H2 in reverse order from which it was raised. Finally you will need a torque wrench for the final tightening in the same star pattern. You torque the lug nuts to (per the manual) 140 lb-ft and your almost done. Drive the H2 for about 50 miles and then re-torque the lug nuts. Your done, until the next time you need to rotate your tires. I hope this helps and you do the job yourself. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2 1/2 floor jack </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's the lift height needed for the h2 with a 2.5 ton jack? My brother is looking to get a jack to work on his cherokee, but wanted to make sure it would be sufficient for the h2 as well...

'03 H2
Old 03-15-2005, 07:05 PM

1BADH2 is off the scale

Loosen the lug nuts
Old 03-15-2005, 11:35 PM

4churchill is off the scale

How did you change to these rims? Its the same method

www.HUMMERNut.net
Old 03-15-2005, 11:51 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks 4C. I got tired of looking.