H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 09-13-2005, 03:02 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

For those of you who don't know me, I used to be far more active in the days of past....back when we got excited seeing an H2 with it's tire atop a 10" rock, or 4" in the air. Please, no jokes...those were infantile times for the H2.

Anyways, at one time I was a full partner in the HMR magazine project, today I'm just a contributing editor...occassionally churning-up small pieces for sport & recreation. I delusionally convinced myself I could write. Anyways, GM has been taking much more interest in the magazine and I think we could actually get some noise in their ears through my articles.

I'd always imagine what I'd ask them to build if I had the chance, I plan to address that in an article or two. I'd like to have some other voices behind me as well. To that end:

I'd like to see a new Hummer perhaps a tad bit wider then the H3 that has gear-driven hubs for awesome clearnace, a CTIS option, some kind of turbo-diesel hybrid-like engine that gets at least 20mpg or better (The VW Jetta has an optional turbo-diesel and it gets 52mpg!!!...can't a 6-cylinder version be made for a Hummer of smaller & lighter size? maybe get 35 mpg??), height-adjustment of greater travel on BOTH front & rear suspension. I know these things will cost, but we need something more energy efficient and versatile.

Any thoughts to add?????
Old 09-13-2005, 03:02 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

For those of you who don't know me, I used to be far more active in the days of past....back when we got excited seeing an H2 with it's tire atop a 10" rock, or 4" in the air. Please, no jokes...those were infantile times for the H2.

Anyways, at one time I was a full partner in the HMR magazine project, today I'm just a contributing editor...occassionally churning-up small pieces for sport & recreation. I delusionally convinced myself I could write. Anyways, GM has been taking much more interest in the magazine and I think we could actually get some noise in their ears through my articles.

I'd always imagine what I'd ask them to build if I had the chance, I plan to address that in an article or two. I'd like to have some other voices behind me as well. To that end:

I'd like to see a new Hummer perhaps a tad bit wider then the H3 that has gear-driven hubs for awesome clearnace, a CTIS option, some kind of turbo-diesel hybrid-like engine that gets at least 20mpg or better (The VW Jetta has an optional turbo-diesel and it gets 52mpg!!!...can't a 6-cylinder version be made for a Hummer of smaller & lighter size? maybe get 35 mpg??), height-adjustment of greater travel on BOTH front & rear suspension. I know these things will cost, but we need something more energy efficient and versatile.

Any thoughts to add?????
Old 09-13-2005, 03:06 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd suggest that they use some of the kinky hybrid engines that they have in their R&D dept.
The thought of CTIS is novel, but also troublesome from a reliability standpoint. I would ask for a compressor with higher output.
Also, I'd ask them to address their seriously lacking headlights. HIDs are the only way to go. I wonder if they could come up with an adaptive headlight system like I had in the 745?
Old 09-13-2005, 03:14 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

An H1 the size of an H3. Low and fat with tons of clearance. Atleast 37's. And give me all the options of an H2 so I can take it to the club. The ride and equipment has to be great to make huge sales numbers. Keeping it around 50k would kill the H2 market. It'd have to cost more.

OR, go smaller and cheaper. Like what we've read about the H4 or HX. Whatever it is. Make it a hardcore wheeler with some nice road manners.

That's it! I want everything.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:57 AM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

You guys are thinking only of the off-road prowess -- which is NOT why Hummers sell.

Imho, it's about the looks. Macho, mean, yet sophisticated. Kindda like the modern metrosexual man (or Martha ).

The new Hummer gotta go bigger. The soccermoms need to haul 9 teenagers to soccer, not 5.

Of course it's gotta have front locker & CTIS options for the trails. But a chrome hidden winch bumper would sell TONS!!

Better mileage could perhaps be achieved by making the new Hummer LIGHTER (even if it is bigger). Think of how great those "dent-proof" Saturn PLASTIC body would be the next time you slide sideways to a tree!!

Oh yeah, did I mention more chrome??
Old 09-13-2005, 04:05 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, just replace the door panel with each dent. Hell, that may be workable.

HUMMER sells because of it's reputation for offroad, nonstop abilities. I bet the better it offroads, the better it will sell. The tougher it looks, the better it will sell. Even if the buyer just wants to put chrome flames on it and drive around the mall.

Look at all the NBA/rappers that buy the H2 just to lower it. But hey, they have a HUMMER.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:21 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

My arguement is that Hummer is to the offroad world what Porsche or Ferrari are to the sports car world: an icon of offroad exotic. There's a degree of performance that must be maintained....or the brand is doomed.

Yeah, it's fine if GM wants to make some watered-down cheapy mall-runner to compete with other SUV's and sell to the masses who would likely give-up their 4-wheeldrive ability if the name Hummer were ablazed in bigger, bolder and chrome letters across every panel of the vehicle....BUT they really need to maintain some flag-ship that can deliver BIG-TIME...and it's my contention that people will pay for it.

And don't get me wrong, there's a special place in my heart for the mighty H1...but it's time to innovate. The military had that thing spec'd as a Highly Mobile Multi-Wheeled Vehicle: it was designed to be an ambulence, machine-gunner, small missle-launcher, personel transport, fuel-truck, water-truck, etc, etc.

For crying out loud: it's a mobile platform intended to adapt for a multitude of purposes. It wasn't really intended to be squirreled around through tight trails and offroaded like a Jeep...when you try to, the breakdown & maintainance factor is off the scale. I dunno, I love the H1 for what it is, but hate it for what it isn't...hard to explain and confusing at best. But make no mistake, one day someone thought it would be cute to outfit a Humvee with an interior, an A/C and a few amenities and see if some milionaires would pop the bucks to cruise in 'em.

Anyways (did I mention that I was known for writing novels?)....it's time to innovate the best of the H1 into something the size of an H3 and make it more fuel efficient.

Btw, Horace...all's I heard in your post was something about a front-locker and winch But you may have something with those plastic disposable panels!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2Finally:
You guys are thinking only of the off-road prowess -- which is NOT why Hummers sell. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'd have to disagree with this. The only reason Hummers sell is because of their ability, now and before with the H1 and HMMWV. People would not be buying them and pimping them out if there was not some positive association with it to begin with.

If the H2 was the same truck but 2 wheel drive, with 31" tires, it would not sell to the pimpers. There has to be some sort of validity to the vehicle before the "pimp my ride" people will embrace it and make it iconic. In case of Hummers, it is the perception of being the offroad King.

With all that said, GM has to look at the bottom line right now and produce what will make the most money. Maybe in a few years it can afford to produce a vehicle that is tailored more towards the small market of off-roaders who will buy a stock vehicle and put it on the trail right off the dealer lot. There are 2 things here, what you wish GM produced and what is practical.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

CLAYDOG is off the scale

You guys need to help Steve out; the design side of the business would want to try and include most of what you’re asking for in future products. We do spend a bit of time in Mishawaka getting the trucks dirty just to help understand what makes a good off road vehicle. The problem is convincing the bean counters and product planers that there is a business case for what we want. Hearing from owners “what I’d like to see” in print helps to convince them that the features are worth the investment.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:28 PM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRTYFN:
The thought of CTIS is novel, but also troublesome from a reliability standpoint. I would ask for a compressor with higher output. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't think this is necessarily true anymore. Many large military vehicles employ CTIS and a company called Hutchinson Inc. has been designed new wheel assemblies for the military that is more reliable.

I think CTIS is mandantory for the ultimate vehicle. Personally I don't care to run around airing up/down my tires when the ultimate off-roader could have it built in "reliably." Key word being reliable.

Stick a 5 gallon air tank under there somewhere and have a quick air disconnect also for some air tools, to go along with that improved compressor.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Whatever the H4 is I would like to see a pick-up or small wranger type small truck that can do all the 2 and 3 can but in a price point starting at 16k. This would be a truck aimed at young males and as a novility for the older demos (toy). GM spent a ton of cash for a name and then backed it up with off road perfomance stock. I would like to see AM General build it using Gm parts like the H2. The reason the H3 was so late comming to market is the way GM does things. I'm not saying it's bad but they are always late to capitolise on the hot product.When I was in the biz the H3 was suppose to be out in 04 to follow up the H2 quickly. I will own one someday but I cannot put that kind of money into a daily driver (45+each day) becasue of fuel prices plain and simple. Build the H4, great Gas milage, off road mo-fo, start it at 16 or below.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

What has you guys so down on CTIS? Every time CTIS comes up here its put down for being un-reliable. The CTIS system used on the H1 is very well thought out and designed. The one real short coming that it used to have was rubbuer lines, AMG corrected this by putting braided stainless lines on some time ago. The lines do not hang down anywhere under the truck, infact the only place that they are exposed is where the connect to the hubs, yes you CAN break them off road, but the chance of it happening is very minimal. I'm on my second H1 now, I had a couple of very small problems with the CTIS system initially on my 98, once fixed the system NEVER gave me a problem. That truck never lost a pound of air. My new truck leaks a bit in the rears though is still within AMG's specs. Once I get around to trouble shooting it and fixing it, I expect that I'll have no problems with it.

-007=
Old 09-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sfox:
I think my biggest problem with it Carey is that you almost never hear anyone that didn't at least have the "small" problems that you are having. The expense of a CTIS system when considered with the overall reliability and added complexity (let's face it, how hard is it to air up or down using more conventional methods) make it more of a gimmick than a necessary feature IMHO.

S </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not everyone is on an obstacle all of the time they are on the trail. There are those like me that use my truck in situations where you have obstacles occuring in between long stretches of rides on dirt roads which you can travel 40 and 50 MPH. It would be nice to easily air down to traverse the obstacle and then air back up to continue traveling.

It's about having more precise control, not novelty or gimmick. Personally, I would use the hell out of CTIS.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:12 PM
Hummer Professional

aggiehummer...er is off the scale

The H2 soft top will be awesome. Notice the tense there. Will.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Hummer Professional

H2_SUT_SC is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
The wish list would include a soft top SUT and turbo diesel </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There you go.