H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-18-2003, 03:13 PM

Kevin W is off the scale

Hey guys and gals,

I replaced the factory head unit with the Pioneer cd/dvd/nav, with motorized screen. That being a 1 DIN unit, I now have a 1/2 DIN pocket above my head unit. I would like to put something there instead of having an open slot, and I was looking for suggestions. So far I was thinking of the switcher to a mounted radar detector or even moving up the On Star and utilizing that pocket for the cell phone or whatever, but moving the onstar get expensive, so says my installer. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Kevin

2003 Pewter H2, Tire relocator, painted hard tire cover, billet gas cover, MC2 chrome hood handles, stainless bumper letters, 15% tinted front windows,pioneer nav/dvd, xm sat, headrest monitors, tv tuner, defenderworx hood latches, side vents, and marker bezels.
2003 Pewter H2, Tire relocator, painted hard tire cover, billet gas cover, MC2 chrome hood handles, stainless bumper letters, 15% tinted front windows,pioneer nav/dvd, xm sat, headrest monitors, tv tuner, defenderworx hood latches, side vents, marker
Old 08-18-2003, 03:13 PM

Kevin W is off the scale

Hey guys and gals,

I replaced the factory head unit with the Pioneer cd/dvd/nav, with motorized screen. That being a 1 DIN unit, I now have a 1/2 DIN pocket above my head unit. I would like to put something there instead of having an open slot, and I was looking for suggestions. So far I was thinking of the switcher to a mounted radar detector or even moving up the On Star and utilizing that pocket for the cell phone or whatever, but moving the onstar get expensive, so says my installer. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Kevin

2003 Pewter H2, Tire relocator, painted hard tire cover, billet gas cover, MC2 chrome hood handles, stainless bumper letters, 15% tinted front windows,pioneer nav/dvd, xm sat, headrest monitors, tv tuner, defenderworx hood latches, side vents, and marker bezels.
2003 Pewter H2, Tire relocator, painted hard tire cover, billet gas cover, MC2 chrome hood handles, stainless bumper letters, 15% tinted front windows,pioneer nav/dvd, xm sat, headrest monitors, tv tuner, defenderworx hood latches, side vents, marker
Old 08-18-2003, 04:45 PM

Grendel is off the scale

If you plan on doing a 5.1 system, you could mount a center channel speaker. Clarion sells a 1/2 center channel with amp.

2003 Pewter H2
Old 08-18-2003, 06:06 PM

Lil Devil is off the scale

They also sell a storage pocket that is DIN size.

----------------------------------------------------------
2002 Vette; Vortex Intake, Vortech S/C, Stage II heads, comp cam (220/220/114/.581), 3.90 gears, 14 inch cross drilled rotors, 170 stat, NGK TR6, B&M Ripper Shifter, Autometer Boost & Fuel pressure gauges on a-pillar, Hotchkis Sway Bars, HRE 543 wheels (F:265/35 R:295/35), Z06 titanium exhaust, RK LT headers, Magnaflow x-pipe, Programming by Morgan Motorsports, 5% tint, AA Frame & Rocker Savers, TB Bypass, Lowered 2", Custom Audio;570 RWHP Dyno Here

2003 H2; 37 inch tires, Manik Off-Road pkg., Airaid Intake, Custom Audio
Old 08-19-2003, 01:27 AM
Hummer Veteran

JSA_3 is off the scale

Kevin,
I'm curious - - - does the screen on the cd/dvd/nav unit interfere with the A/C vents?? I'm consdering a Kenwood unit w/screen but am hesitant....if it sticks up in front of the A/C vents.

Thanks,
John
Old 08-19-2003, 01:42 AM

Kevin W is off the scale

Hey there,

Yes, it definiteley sticks up, but if it is in the lower slot it only covers half of the passenger vent. If its in the top slot it covers half the drivers vent and all of the passenger vent. originally it was in the top slot with a 1/2 DIN lower pocket, and then I had it changed to the lower pocket with a 1/2 DIN upper pocket.
Hope this info helps.

Kevin

Old 08-19-2003, 01:47 AM

Lil Devil is off the scale

I'm not Kevin and don't have the Kenwood but do have the Alpine and it does not interfer with the AC vents.

----------------------------------------------------------
2002 Vette; Vortex Intake, Vortech S/C, Stage II heads, comp cam (220/220/114/.581), 3.90 gears, 14 inch cross drilled rotors, 170 stat, NGK TR6, B&M Ripper Shifter, Autometer Boost & Fuel pressure gauges on a-pillar, Hotchkis Sway Bars, HRE 543 wheels (F:265/35 R:295/35), Z06 titanium exhaust, RK LT headers, Magnaflow x-pipe, Programming by Morgan Motorsports, 5% tint, AA Frame & Rocker Savers, TB Bypass, Lowered 2", Custom Audio;570 RWHP Dyno Here

2003 H2; 37 inch tires, Manik Off-Road pkg., Airaid Intake, Custom Audio
Old 08-19-2003, 11:41 AM
Hummer Veteran

JSA_3 is off the scale

Thanks to you both for the info.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

prplprowlr is off the scale

Kevin W. Please tell me more about the pioneer radio you got!! I have been wanting to do it and just havent taken the plunge yet. Does it work with your onstar or steering wheel controls or did you buy any adapters? I would love to hear more about it.

Thanks Ron
Old 08-21-2003, 12:25 AM

Kevin W is off the scale

Hey there prplprowlr,

I have the Pioneer DVD SYS 910. Its a pioneer head unit with dvd/cd/mp3, and there is a separate nav unit that gets remotely mounted. I have added a tv tuner as well. There is an adapter needed for the steering wheel controls and the onstar. Both of which I have, and both work seemlessly with the new head unit. I have played with the alpine, kenwood and pioneer interfaces and really like the ease of the pioneer. There is also a rear camera option and many other input options, so the unit gives you a lot of flexibility. The only issues I had were with the screen flipping out and not being perfectly at 90 degrees because of hitting the a/c vents. I have since put the head unit in the lower slot and I have a 1/2 din open pocket on the top of the head unit. Now the screen opens very nicely. But asthetically (sp?) I really don't like the open pocket. So, I like the idea of the center speaker for looks, even though I don't have nor need 5.1 surround, but I also like the idea of a built in radar detector, but can't find one for a built in 1/2 din slot. I really want to add something nice and custom there for a completed look, but can't figure it out yet.

Hope this helps,

Any other info, feel free to ask.

Kevin

Old 08-21-2003, 12:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

prplprowlr is off the scale

This is the same unit I want to add to mine, could you tell me who you used for the adapters for the Onstar and Steering Wheel Controls? Thanks for your help, also maybe you could take a picture for us to see it installed and one last thing do you have xm radio with this unit?

Thanks
Old 08-21-2003, 01:45 PM

TX T H2 is off the scale

Here's an idea for you to consider: just installed Kenwood head unit with flip out monitor and had my installer relocate the A/C control unit to the original radio 1.5 DIN slot. This allowed me to install the new head unit into the old A/C location and have the monitor open and only conceal part of the A/C controls rather than the vents. I also had them relocate the on-star controls to the small pocket inside glove compartment and put a center channel in that DIN. I am very happy with configuration and everything works perfect. Installer has already taken orders for two more H2 installs based on showing the owner's the setup.

"Oil that is, Black Gold, Texas Tea!" Jed Clampett
Old 08-21-2003, 04:48 PM
Hummer Professional

HUMMERDOGG is an unknown quantity at this point

TX T H2-

Can you post a pic of your install?

Thanks.

-HUMMERDOGG

*member of the "No Hummer Krew"*
Old 08-21-2003, 11:37 PM

Kevin W is off the scale

I definitely want a picture of that to show my installer. I just might add the center channel in the pocket above and call it a day. How much was all that relocation work....just approximately if your bill was all lumped together.

Kevin

Old 08-22-2003, 12:23 PM

TX T H2 is off the scale

I initially was going to install the center channel speaker above or below the headunit in the remaining 1/2 DIN as well. Keep in mind that if you put it above the head unit it will be covered when the monitor is up and if you put it below it pushes the monitor that much higher which results in completely covering the newly located A/C controls and potentially up into the vents again. End of the day I decided to relo the on-star (still very accessible from driver position) and use that DIN for center speaker.

Total cost for installation labor was about $2K but it included the following and took 8 days to complete:

relo A/C and On-Star (as described earlier)
Installation of Kenwood KVT911, Kenwood center speaker, replaced all factory speakers with Focal component 165 K2 (left the very back stock speakers connected to On-Star), custom box for 10" JL Audio sub in front of spare tire and behind R rear seat, custom mount for JL Audio 500/5 amp/Kenwood DV3100 Nav unit/Kenwood 10-disc changer (above L rear wheel well), (2) headrest mounted Knwd LZ 800 monitors, Knwd 901 dts/5.1 decoder, Knwd Sirius satellite radio unit, hardwire w/remote switch for Passport 8500, Prestige LCD remote-start alarm system, DynaMat entire car front to rear and all doors.

All-in-all, I don't think the relo of the A/C and On-Star was a big deal and the upcharge over just sticking the new head unit into the old head unit location couldn't have been more than $100 (required a custom bracket for A/C unit), but it wasn't broken down that way on the bid.

I will try and get her cleaned up and take a couple pics to post this weekend.

Old 08-22-2003, 12:32 PM

TX T H2 is off the scale

install also included a game plate in the rear of the center console and a bumper mounted rear camera as an AUX video input to the system. Just incase you use this to negotiate with your installer, because the rear camera was a b-yotch to mount, apparently!

Old 08-22-2003, 04:25 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Does the DynaMat make a noticeable difference?

Just curious...

- Dan

-------------------------------------------
SUT on order since 12/02 - 10 months to go!
-------------------------------------------
Old 08-22-2003, 04:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

JSA_3 is off the scale

Yes,
If you can please post a pic - - I too am curious about the dynamat. (does it eliminate the tin can/hollow sound from the doors)

Thanks,
John

P.S. Sorry for all the questions - but the A/C opening looks bigger than DIN. If it is how did you deal with it??
Old 08-25-2003, 12:33 PM

TX T H2 is off the scale

Yes, it definitely is worth the effort. Will never be as quiet as the wife's MB, but as quiet as a 6500 lb. box doing 80 mph can be!

Old 08-26-2003, 01:53 PM

TX T H2 is off the scale

I took these pics with car parked in shade (apparently pretty stupid). I think you can get the idea though.
Attached Images