H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-04-2007, 02:34 AM
Hummer Veteran

JDLarue is on a distinguished road
Default Will these wheels work without a lift?

Does anyone know if 17x9.5 wheels with 4.75" backspacing and -6mm offset will work on stock H2 with no lift with 37x13.5x17 Toyo's mounted on them? There's quite a bit of difference in offset between the stock wheel and this particular wheel I'm looking at. I think stock is +19 and the new wheel -6.
2003 H2 Lux series, Pewter (I know...non-color) Airaid intake system, Granitelli MAF, Hypertech III programmer, sun roof, brush guard, a little billet bling, air suspension, 37x13.5x17 Toyo M/T's on stock chrome rims, 06 mirrors, like to get a 6" Fabtech lift but couldn't get it in the garage, other than that...pretty much stock.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:09 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Will these wheels work without a lift?

not sure on teh 4.75, but I had the same size with 4.50 without the lift and yes it did rub. With the lift, it's perfect.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

BradO is off the scale

I've got some aftermarket wheels that are 17x8 -6mm and pretty sure they're 4.5in backspace. Running 37 in Toyos, no lift or t-bar adjustment. The rear if fine, perfect spacing out w/-6mm from rear air height sensors. In the front rubbing occurs at full turn against the back rubber. Very minor on pavement (bump and brush going over driveways), a good bit more on extreme angles off road. Even at full turn the front still has about 1.5 from the front bumper lip. Here are a few pics, hope this helps:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fronttire.JPG (58.6 KB, 446 views)
File Type: jpg Fronttirestraight.JPG (29.9 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg Fronttirefullturn.JPG (42.1 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg Fronttirefullturnoppositeside.JPG (55.7 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg frontireoppositeside1.5in.JPG (37.1 KB, 386 views)
Old 02-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

If you put those tires on the stock rims you'll do ok. on after market rims the back spacing pushes the tire and rim outward causing it to rub on the inner fender, try using a heat gun knife and 5lb sledge to gain some extra clearance.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

OK guys, thnx for the info. Maybe I'll just stick with the stock rims. Minimal rubbing right now.
2003 H2 Lux series, Pewter (I know...non-color) Airaid intake system, Granitelli MAF, Hypertech III programmer, sun roof, brush guard, a little billet bling, air suspension, 37x13.5x17 Toyo M/T's on stock chrome rims, 06 mirrors, like to get a 6" Fabtech lift but couldn't get it in the garage, other than that...pretty much stock.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

So I guess what your saying Phil is going from a +19 offset to a -6 offset isn't that big of a deal and the wheels will work but they'll rub some? Will that change in offset be much harder on the suspension components than the stock wheel? (I was going to buy that Fab steering kit but I guess not).

Right now with stock wheels and those size tires I have a little rubbing on the sway bar and the frame rail in a tight turn. With the smaller backspacing it will move the tire away from those components and where can I expect them to rub with the new rims? (The fender well flares perhaps or the inner fender well plastic?)

Old 02-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, I'm agonizing over this one too. I have 37" x 13.1" STTs. Will they likely rub on the outside with 4.5" back-spaced rims?
If not, if I get them, will my new-found non-rubbing happiness be offset by the extra sadness from the additional amount of grit my tires will throw up on the side of my H2 when they are sitting 1" further outboard? Or is the latter not that bad?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:55 AM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD
They are less likely to rub with the outside edge on 4.5" BS rims than they are to rub in the inside edge with stock rims, if that makese sense?

My 15.50" wide Toyo's were 2-3" outside of my E&G fender flares and I never had an issue with anything getting thrown up the side of the truck.

Thanks. Sounds like I should get some new rims.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks Phil.