H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-04-2007, 06:35 AM
Elcova Rookie

boo4u is off the scale
Default Superchargers and Offroading

Question for the experienced offroaders which there are quite a few in here I have noticed, I have an 03 with a magna supercharger and have yet done any serious offroading (I can't seem to get drawn for big game hunting anymore!). Anyway, a lot of threads speak of H2's with Superchargers are a death sentence offroading..
Is this based on bad technique or flat out too much torque with the weight? Most of the areas we hunt and camp in have a lot of incline and rock crawling, hate to find out the hard way the H2 is doomed. My previous vehicle was a dodge ram 1500 with a kenne bell helping out and it allowed me to crawl over about anything slowly. Appreciate the advise and love the website for information!
Old 02-08-2007, 03:45 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale
Default Re: Superchargers and Offroading

You will most likely break drivetrain parts. That is just from the way the rig was designed to be used. Slow with torque. SC kicks in sometimes a little sooner than expected and H2's factory break front end parts anyway.
some depends on driving ability. I would not run SC off-road but, others may know better. I just know how hard the SC can come on and you could have tires turned in a bind and something has to give.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 02-08-2007, 04:55 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

Seeing you already have A supercharger installed, just be A little easier on the throttle, especially in lo lock. Use the brake and throttle together to control the torque put to the ground and you should have no problems. Carry spare front axles should be mandatory as even stock units are snapping cv's when driver error occurs. The truck and it's components will last if driven properly and not like it's indestuctible.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:04 AM
Elcova Rookie

boo4u is off the scale

Thanks and common sense seems to be the standard as usual. I was hoping someone would state the sc is beneficial when blowing through a mud hole but that appears to be asking for sure death......
Old 02-08-2007, 05:19 AM
Hummer Authority

Definatly will help in A mudhole when traction is low and wheel spin is needed. "Never say Whoa in A Mudhole"
Old 02-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Lot's of torque + sticky tires + steep slickrock + slight bounce = blown T-Case.

I know.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Hummer Authority

Thats A good situation to use the brake/throttle together, when the tire bounces the brakes will stop or slow wheel spin so that nothing gets shock loaded when the tire lands. Also you can build A toe clip for your throttle pedal for better foot control in bouncy situations.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:43 PM
Hummer Professional

working Hummer is off the scale

I know also.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2007, 03:04 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMTECH
Thats A good situation to use the brake/throttle together, when the tire bounces the brakes will stop or slow wheel spin so that nothing gets shock loaded when the tire lands. Also you can build A toe clip for your throttle pedal for better foot control in bouncy situations.
I was Brake Throttle Modulating (BTM). The rear just barely bounced, not OFF the ground, the tires were still in contact with the ground, small slip and BANG!
Old 02-09-2007, 03:37 AM
Hummer Authority

Ouch, that just sucks then.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:04 AM
Elcova Rookie

boo4u is off the scale

Well, nothing really lives until it has bled a little.... I guess I need to get the truck dirty and hope nothing explodes like Working Hummer's.... I had a front diff blow up on me with a CJ-7 but that was from lack of torque. LOL
Old 02-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

Speaking from experience the supercharger will help keep those tires spinning even when the traction control is slowing the vehicle down.
It is when you get in those situations where you have all your weight on one wheel going straight up a rock (with the rear locked) that you begin to break things. Technique? yeah probably! Will use less throttle when trying to climb from now own. Being from a mud area, I am use to pressing the throttle when your momentum slows. Not a good idea on rock with great traction (1 transmission, 2 rear axles). All on rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo4u
Thanks and common sense seems to be the standard as usual. I was hoping someone would state the sc is beneficial when blowing through a mud hole but that appears to be asking for sure death......