H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 09-22-2003, 02:53 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Any of my Florida brethren can tell me how many hours drive it is from Orlando to Miami? how many miles? Thanks in advance.

Was planning to take family to Japan, Hong Kong or Thailand for X'mas vacation, but all seats are booked, busy season for all Asia routes. Europe is too cold and my boys are too young to appreciate the churches and museums of Europe. We were just in Hawaii a few months ago, so we are thinking about Disneyworld. My boys are 13 and 14, never been to Disneyworld and glued to the computer screen, TVs and video games, so this maybe the last chance to enjoy Disneyworld, age-wise. Don't know how logical it is to drive from Orlando to Miami, maybe that doesn't make much sense? My wife and I were in Miami for a week years ago, rented a speedboat and really enjoyed Miami, we had no kids back then, so I don't recall anything interesting for 13 and 14 years old boys in Miami.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:53 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Any of my Florida brethren can tell me how many hours drive it is from Orlando to Miami? how many miles? Thanks in advance.

Was planning to take family to Japan, Hong Kong or Thailand for X'mas vacation, but all seats are booked, busy season for all Asia routes. Europe is too cold and my boys are too young to appreciate the churches and museums of Europe. We were just in Hawaii a few months ago, so we are thinking about Disneyworld. My boys are 13 and 14, never been to Disneyworld and glued to the computer screen, TVs and video games, so this maybe the last chance to enjoy Disneyworld, age-wise. Don't know how logical it is to drive from Orlando to Miami, maybe that doesn't make much sense? My wife and I were in Miami for a week years ago, rented a speedboat and really enjoyed Miami, we had no kids back then, so I don't recall anything interesting for 13 and 14 years old boys in Miami.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:49 AM

aces full is off the scale

It's about 250 miles from Orlando to Miami, depending on where you're going in Miami. Hours? That depends on how you drive, but it's all Florida Turnpike, which is an excellent road, with a few toll stops. Have fun!!!

'03 Black H2, fairly dressed up,
'03 Powerstroke Diesel 4.4 Excursion,
'04 Red & Black Mini Cooper (on order),
'02 Black Honda Goldwing
\'02 Black Honda Goldwing
Old 09-22-2003, 09:10 AM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAC:
...so I don't recall anything interesting for 13 and 14 years old boys in Miami.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One word - BIKINIS!

-------------------------------------------------
SUT on order since 12/02 - 9 months to go!
-------------------------------------------------
Old 09-22-2003, 10:29 AM
Site Admin

Jason has disabled reputation

Mac,

Plan on a 3.5 to 4 hour drive. It is an easy ride and personally I think Miami is well worth it. There are a lot of great things around here to do, and the boys will certainly love the beach.

Jason
Old 09-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Hummer Professional

DURAMAX TIM is off the scale

Hey Mac, we've done the Disney thing a few times and the last we broke it up some.
We stayed 4 days on Disney (if u stay at Disney hotels u can get in 1 hr. earlier on certain days)and hit all the parks many times (hopper pass), one day we were at animal kingdom, then went swimming, watched fireworks at epcot, then went to magic kingdom and watched their fireworks.
After staying at Disney we went to a hotel closer to Orlando and did a couple days at Universal and went to Cape Canaveral for a day.
The kids really liked the tour of NASA.
We highly recommend eating at Race Rock cafe on International drive (I think) they have Bigfoot V out in front (along I-4), they have ALL kinds of racing vehicles hanging everywhere (my kids loved it).
We also hit Tampa and Ocala (Don Garlits museum)
Ex H2&3 owner
My hiking boots and canoe paddle have more miles than most 'offroad' vehicles, over 350 in last year.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:54 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Thanks. Sounds like fun.

I think at this stage, maybe I am more attracted to bikinis than my sons, they still find calls from girls annoying, mere distractions from more important stuff. When we stayed at the South Beach back then, it was in sorry shape, mostly very old people and fortunately they were not in bikinis. 3 things I remembered, a lot of very fancy cars, many seniors driving very very slow and everybody on the street was speaking Spanish. But overall, A+ Miami memory.

I have been to Orlando once on business, had a helicopter ride over Disneyworld so that I could say I've been there. I saw a very nice Disney hotel with manmade beaches. Do you know which hotel it is or the name? I found some list of Disney hotels but without any mention of beaches. Mary Kay had a convention in Orlando when I was there, saw several hundred pink Cadillacs in one giant parking lot, a sight to remember.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:59 PM
Site Admin

Jason has disabled reputation

MAC,

South Beach is still the same, but I think there are more "bikinis" than seniors these days. Highly recommended! The fancy cars are still seen in bundles, many H2s loaded with the ever so famous "Bling!" And, finally, it will certianly be helpful to know a few key phrases in espanol.

"Un mas cerveza!"

That should get you through most of the evenings!

Have a great trip and let me know if you have some spare time while in the area.

Jason
Old 09-23-2003, 02:31 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Thanks for the tip. I read Alec was in Disneyworld. From the air, it sure looked like a beautiful lagoon with prestine beaches. Joyce sounds like you really love Disneyworld, going back so often! Appreciate your offer. Vacation is fun, planning is not.

Sometimes 5 star hotel may not be the best place to stay at. In Vegas, those expensive new big hotels are not as fun for the kids as the cheap Excalibur. In Waikiki, Halikalani maybe the best hotel, but turned out to be quite boring for kids. In Miami, my wife and I stay at the big fancy Marriott, 2 days later we moved to a dump in South Beach that didn't even have a phone in the room but we had a blast.

Once my "previous" travel agent booked us in a Hyatt in Paris, since we've been to Paris many times, the address looked like airport to me, but that stupid agent insisted otherwise. (Well, she's a pro, she must known better). Turned out we had to take taxi from Paris North station in the middle of Paris out of town 2 hours to one of the 3 Paris airports, US$200 taxi fare. There was absolutely nothing near that Hyatt, I was SOOOO angry at that travel agent, still am. I see her once awhile in parties, I still would like to kill her.

It is not easy to pick the right hotel without being there or knowing someone with experience. Thanks for the offer.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:51 AM

argonaut is off the scale

Mac, I like to stay either at the George V, or the Plaza Athenee in paris. Both great hotels. One time I stayed at the Hotel Crillon on the urging of a friend. It seemed old and run down to me... I'll stick with those two picks... The suites at the George V have a great view.

'03 H2 Sunset Orange No mods
'03 BMW M3 Convertible
'02 BMW M5
Old 09-23-2003, 03:20 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

That reminded me of a true story. I was checking out at the front desk of Intercontinental hotel in Paris. There was an Arab guy in front of me at the front desk, he had 4 body guards with him but they moved to the side once he got to the counter. I saw him sat his briefcase down next to his legs. Next thing I knew he started shouting that his briefcase was gone! there was panic on his face. That was maybe only about 1 minute or 2 only. I didn't even see it or how that happened, I was only a few steps behind him and the place was huge and empty.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:14 PM

argonaut is off the scale

Was it like the briefcase in Ronin?

'03 H2 Sunset Orange No mods
'03 BMW M3 Convertible
'02 BMW M5
Old 09-23-2003, 10:42 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Ronin had a very nice car chase, it is said that was the best chase, not sure about "best", but it was good. I always love spy movies filmed in Europe.

No, that was a regular 007 leather case. He opened it up on the counter before sat it down. It had mucho cash inside, passports. I read somewhere that thieves there use fake no bottom suitcases in hotel lobbies, a common practice; just place it over the target, pick up and go. Thought that could be how it was done.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:08 PM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

Mac, Jasons about right give yourself 4 hours. Those boys are ready for everything Disney but "DISNEY WORLD" Take them to Disney's EPCOT CENTER, THE BOARDWALK and if they have not seen La Nuba the one in OTOWN is great and its right at Disney. MGM studios at Disney is great also. Get 3 DAY park hopper passes when you get there. Stay at one of the outlying Hotels Like the Swan it's a WESTIN RESORT on Disney Property. I know you are used to that caliber.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:43 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Thanks Hummer Man. Non-issue now. All tickets to Orlando soldout, all tickets to Hawaii soldout, all tickets to Tokyo soldout, all tickets to Hongkong or Thailand soldout, all tickets to Bali soldout. From Dec 20 Jan 2. Hey kids! anyone interested in a 10 hours drive to Las Vegas?
Old 09-25-2003, 06:38 AM
Hummer Professional

DURAMAX TIM is off the scale

Can u say 'ROAD TRIP'
U could DRIVE to Florida in the H2
Ex H2&3 owner
My hiking boots and canoe paddle have more miles than most 'offroad' vehicles, over 350 in last year.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:55 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I rather just stay home, home sweet home. I am flying out to Hongkong and China on another business trip in 3 weeks, vacation for me is to stay home and do nothing, not sitting on a bench in Disneyland waiting for my family, or fall sleep in the shopping mall while my family shops. But it is important to be with them on vacation, eat with them, walk with them and play with them. The moment is always NOW, seize the day and treasure every moment.

10 hours drive to Las Vegas is a long drive for the boys, not for the driver. They were not too excited about that option, even though they always like Las Vegas. Hope we will just stay home, "Hey, Kids, I tried".