H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-12-2007, 05:41 AM
Hummer Authority

tomp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need help with front suspension

Previously, I only raised the front 4 turns and made the front bounce (basketball effect)around. I assumed it was because I used up some of my travel - thus the reason for adding the extensions.

Then, I added shock extensions that raise the bottom of the shock 1.5" higher.

The shocks position on the control arm is further back than where the tire is or where the ride height is measured. So if 4 turns is suppose to raise me 0.8", then this should be less than 0.8" of travel-change back where the shock is located.

I am in fear that I am now causing the shock to bottom out sooner than I would be prior to adding the shock extensions. However, I am sure I am not trying to over-extend them as before adding them.

I can not crank up the torsion bars to much more as I have to maintain garage clearance and be able to enter various customer parking garages for work, airport etc. I can go up a hair more.

I am thinking what I need to do now, is to fab up some type of bump stop extensions. I assuming the bump stops are suppose to barely touch the control arm from factory? Please let me know what to do here....
Old 02-12-2007, 05:48 AM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need help with front suspension

That sounds complicated.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:01 AM
Hummer Authority

I just had to explain to the wife and you know what she said? "You should have just lef the thing alone and not jacked it up".....LOL
Old 02-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD
Under normal conditions, you will not be bottoming out your shocks. You will generally feel it if you are.

Even with shock extensions that raise up the bottom of the shock 1.5"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD
The gap at the jounce jumpers (bump stops) seems to vary, even when the z-height is set correctly (4.5"), some touch the jounce jumpers, some have a gap. When stock I used to have a 1" gap and never felt the ride was bad at all. However, others have felt it to be too bouncy and have fabbed up a spcer to between the jounce jumper and it's mount.

What gap to you have? Also, what tire psi are you running?

Currently with 4 turn on the TBs, I have about 0.5" gap. I am running about 42psi as I found this to work best as it's just enough to not feel the drag of running low tire pressure.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Hummer Authority

I think OEM settings might rely on the bump stops and not soley on the spring of the TBs for bottoming control. Once you crank the TBs to allow for a ride height increase, now it's sitting soley on a spring of TB rather than a combination of the cushioned bump stop and TB. A tighter wound spring seems to cause more of a bounce affect.

I am at the best it's ever been on the front suspension. Understanding it better keeps getting me closer and closer to a factory ride with cranked up TBs.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Hummer Authority

BTW, I owe you a sale on an item...

Reason behind it is I ended up calling True Tech to see if they could fix the bushings in my SMA trailing arms. He said he could, but I need to send them to him to have them modded so the new bushings will fit.

Rather than wait a couple of weeks to get them back and not having a vehicle to drive, I ended up buying another set from him to install now and he will fix the SMA ones for no charge. He did not want to sell them to me without going through you, so he charged me more for them than you sell them for.

I hope you understand....I had quite a bit invested in the SMA ones so this was my best option.